Topic: Sample Rate Conversion and TotalMixFX Recommendation

I use a UFX+ for listening to stereo+stereo subwoofers. The digital audio enters the UFX+ by SPDIF, passes to a Windows PC where a convolver provides a crossover between the main speakers and the subs, and then returns to the analog outputs on the UFX+.

My library is partly 44.1 kHz and partly higher resolution recordings. To simplify the convolver setup, I want to standardize the digital audio to 88.2 kHz. I can do this via an external software sample rate converter (SRC) in the audio streamer. However, it is a blackbox and I would like to use RME equipment if it is available.

The ADI-2 pro fs r be offers SRC. However not TotalMix. From my reading, I think it is possible to setup the ADI-2 to be the digital front end for the UFX+, and to do SRC. However, I am not certain, and without TMFX, not transparent.

Is there an RME recommendation for SRC, preferably one that offers TMFX?

UFX+; MADIfaceUSB; Startech active USB3 cable; Sonnet Allegro Pro adapter; Win11x64

2 (edited by ramses 2023-05-31 09:14:06)

Re: Sample Rate Conversion and TotalMixFX Recommendation

Labdoc wrote:

Is there an RME recommendation for SRC, preferably one that offers TMFX?

SRC has nothing to do with TotalMix and is not only something based on software. It is implemented as HW chip, so it can't be updated by firmware.

ADI-2 Pro *, ADI-2/4 Pro SE and the new Digiface AES are the only products with such an SRC chip.

SRC - Two Cases

Case A - SRC with Recording Interfaces: Digiface AES

The only recording interface with built-in SRC is the new Digiface AES.
Although Digiface AES - as a recording interface - has TotalMix FX, it as nothing to do with the activation or use of the SRC.

The SRC is assignable through driver settings to any of the digital inputs with not more than two channels: AES, coax. and opt. SPDIF (not ADAT). In CC or Stand-alone mode (where you have no driver settings) configurable via display.

Case B - SRC with Reference Converters: ADI-2 Pro and ADI-2/4 Pro SE

Very similar, you can assign the SRC via display to any of the digital inputs. Note: ADI-2 DAC based designs have no SRC.

Labdoc wrote:

From my reading, I think it is possible to set up the ADI-2 to be the digital front end for the UFX+,

Yes, you can integrate it into your setup like described in my Blog, e.g. this way
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/

Labdoc wrote:

and to do SRC.

Yes

Labdoc wrote:

However, I am not certain, and without TMFX, not transparent.

The activation of SRC has nothing to do with TM FX. It simply depends on the product how or where it will be activated.
Here it depends on either auto modes or manual configuration through display.

If you integrated the ADI-2 Pro the same way as I am doing, either via AES or optical SPDIF, then you can configure in the menu for which input SRC will be activated.

SETUP -> Options -> SPDIF / Remap Keys ->
   SRC: OFF | AES In | SPDIF In
   SRC Gain dig.: 0 dB | -3 dB

That's all you have to do!

The very useful "State Overview" of ADI-2 * gives you a clear (transparent) overview about the status of:
- all digital inputs
- SRC: off | AES | SPDIF
- Clock Source: INT | AES | SPDIF

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Dear Ramses, thank you for the very clear and helpful reply.
I have purchased an RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE. It works out of the box. Learning the menus is quite a steep learning curve! Thanks for the example setups.

UFX+; MADIfaceUSB; Startech active USB3 cable; Sonnet Allegro Pro adapter; Win11x64

Nice, enjoy :-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13