Topic: Sound fidelity (main out) on RME ADI-2 DAC FS vs UCX II

I am debating on purchasing one or another (can't have both)

Can you tell me which unit has better sound quality on main out.
I read that DAC has lower THD/better noise floor than UCX, but how would you compare the main out reproduction.

Imagine that I am not using inputs at all, but will use EQ on both units, and trying to get main out as best sounding as possible. Without too much harshness in the highs.

I read RME ADI-2 DAC FS has ESS chip, but I can't find much on what chip does UCX II use.

I don't mind purchasing UCX II, but I am also looking for best sound fidelity.
RME ADI-2 DAC FS PRO is out of my price range, so comparing RME ADI-2 DAC FS vs UCX II.

I appreciate the feedback.

Re: Sound fidelity (main out) on RME ADI-2 DAC FS vs UCX II

ADI-2 DAC FS is better suited for home use.

Fireface UCX II is intended as central recording interface for studio use.
It offers a multitude of I/Os that usually are of no use at home.

What are your other peripherals you want to connect: sources, speakers, headphones?

@LiftedSeven: What is your Budget and your setup? What do you need to connect? What are the other components?

I would concentrate more on room optimization and  the quality of speakers compared to the small differences of converters.
RME is known for a neutral / transparent sound, so there is no mojo being added.

What might be more important to you is what I/O ports you need, what KaiS just told you and what features would give you the most benefit.

IMHO ideal is a combination of recording interface and one of the ADI-2 * products in combination if you produce music, mix and master. For simple listening one of the reference converters is enough, for that you most likely need no TotalMix FX at all, although sometimes it can be useful for other purposes than recording alone.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

With all due respect...ADI-2 and UCX ii will not sound the same. Unless they use the same chip, and same type of amplification stages. ADI-2 FS and ADI-2 FS Pro don't sound the same either. You can't say RME doesn't color the sound, ESS chip and AKM chip serve completely different type of coloration on the output.

When I hear such a polite political correct answer, it doesn't answer the actual question.
My speakers are Yamaha MSP5 (I love these speakers and used them for about 16 years now, I am not a fan of a lot of much more expensive speakers I tried), my room is treated.

Can I get a more concrete answer to my question, as I stated:

Can you tell me which unit has better sound quality on main out.
I read that DAC has lower THD/better noise floor than UCX, but how would you compare the main out reproduction.

Imagine that I am not using inputs at all, but will use EQ on both units, and trying to get main out as best sounding as possible. Without too much harshness in the highs.

KaiS wrote:

ADI-2 DAC FS is better suited for home use.

Fireface UCX II is intended as central recording interface for studio use.
It offers a multitude of I/Os that usually are of no use at home.

What are your other peripherals you want to connect: sources, speakers, headphones?

I am connecting Yamaha MSP5 speakers only, I don't use headphones
Which device has better sound on main out?

I can't tell if UCX ii provides better or worse sound, because price is accounting all the inputs and TotalMix FX
Would ADI-2 FS sound better or worse?

Having an interface is a plus, but not at the cost of main output.
I am shifting from Saffire Pro 40 that I love, but drop outs due to old firewire and Windows 11

I use UCX II, ADI-2 DAC and ADI-2 PRO. Get the ADI-2 DAC.

It has a slightly better (smoother) output quality than the UCX II. But only really audible in a direct comparison. The PEQ capabilities are by far better with ADI-2 DAC/PRO than with the UCX II (more bands, many direct accessible EQ profiles etc.)

Check the manuals of both units and it will be clear.

7 (edited by LiftedSeven 2023-06-02 12:20:33)

bejoro wrote:

It has a slightly better (smoother) output quality than the UCX II. But only really audible in a direct comparison. The PEQ capabilities are by far better with ADI-2 DAC/PRO than with the UCX II (more bands, many direct accessible EQ profiles etc.)

Thank you :-)
5 band EQ is definitely a huge plus, I definitely read about it. UCX II has 3 band EQ in TotalMix FX.

How would you describe the sound on UCX ii?
Compared to ADI-2 FS that is

Was it night and day difference between ADI-2 FS and ADI-2 Pro?
I know they use ESS and AKM chip respectively.

I read many great reviews on PRO, but it's just out of my price range, I am still wondering how much of a difference is there between PRO and regular FS model. Wondering how would you say they compare between

I recently returned 500 dollar DACs, one was Topping E70V and 2nd one was SMSL SU-9, it had amazing noise floor, there was no hiss in the speakers compared to my Saffire, but that factory (almost unchangeable) EQ was so harsh! Classic "smile" EQ filter.
Though the lows sounded very good on both units. SMSL easily had better lows.

If Midrange wasn't so thin, and highs were not as sharp, I would keep it, just for low freq response. It also had no dropout or pops and clicks and was plug and play.

I am wondering how much I can improve with ADI-2 FS versus UCX ii.

I would hate to return stuff back to Sweetwater, out of respect for my sales agent.

Thanks!

LiftedSeven wrote:

With all due respect...ADI-2 and UCX ii will not sound the same. Unless they use the same chip, and same type of amplification stages.

I wouldn't expect significant differences in a properly conducted blind test at exactly same volume levels.

The most important thing is whether YOU can hear it, or whether your monitors have the quality to show such little differences in your premises. This you need to try on your own.

Recording interfaces will have no possibility to choose between different D/A filters, if this would be important for you, they use the default settings of the converter, that deliver the most linear frequency curve.

KaiS stated from his listening experience, that with the ADI-2 Pro FS the AKM chips "slow" filter delivered advantages for percussive instruments to be able to better locate them in the room. Whether it makes a difference for you is not clear, things like this you need to try, this can't tell you any forum.

If you do not need a recording interface with TM FX and if you do not need to connect several analog or digital devices, then the ADI-2 DAC or Pro might be best suited for your demand.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

9 (edited by bejoro 2023-06-03 10:15:46)

LiftedSeven wrote:
bejoro wrote:

Thank you :-)
5 band EQ is definitely a huge plus, I definitely read about it. UCX II has 3 band EQ in TotalMix FX.

Compared to ADI-2 FS that is

Was it night and day difference between ADI-2 FS and ADI-2 Pro?
I know they use ESS and AKM chip respectively.

I read many great reviews on PRO, but it's just out of my price range, I am still wondering how much of a difference is there between PRO and regular FS model. Wondering how would you say they compare between

I recently returned 500 dollar DACs, one was Topping E70V and 2nd one was SMSL SU-9, it had amazing noise floor, there was no hiss in the speakers compared to my Saffire, but that factory (almost unchangeable) EQ was so harsh! Classic "smile" EQ filter.
Though the lows sounded very good on both units. SMSL easily had better lows.

If Midrange wasn't so thin, and highs were not as sharp, I would keep it, just for low freq response. It also had no dropout or pops and clicks and was plug and play.

I would hate to return stuff back to Sweetwater, out of respect for my sales agent.

Thanks!

Sound descriptions are very subjective. From your experiences with different DACs I would recommend that you test the ADI-2 DAC yourself. But the differences between DAC with ESS and PRO with AKM are very, very small and primarily caused by different digital filters of the chipsets.

I have also a SMSL DO100, a very simple but in my opinion a very good dac if you don't need all the features of the great RME products. I could not hear a difference between ADI-2 DAC and the DO100 with identical filter settings. The ADI-2 PRO FS R BE has different filters (AKM) and sounds slightly different.

Btw, I prefer the minimum phase filters and those sound very, very similar on AKM and ESS (SD SLOW, SD SHARP), minimum phase slow rolloff or minumum phase sharp rolloff. Most of the time I listen with SD SLOW, with some recordings I like SD SHARP better.

10 (edited by KaiS 2023-06-03 13:56:37)

LiftedSeven wrote:

Compared to ADI-2 FS

I recently returned 500 dollar DACs, one was Topping E70V and 2nd one was SMSL SU-9, ...

... Midrange wasn't so thin, and highs were not as sharp, ...

In the light of this comment I’d say, forget about the UCX II.
It’s design is focused on a different purpose.

The ADI-2 DAC FS will serve you way better.

You will appreciate the selection of DA-Filters, with options that can tame what you might call “digital harsh treble” that is inherent in low sample rate digital in general.

Personally I like the SD LD - Filter, Slow Delay Low Dispersion, on the ESS version, which does exactly that.

BTW: The ADI-2 series’ Parametric EQ has 7 bands in total, counting in the Bass/Treble controls that can be fully integrated into the PEQ.