Topic: Fireface 800 / MacBook Pro M2 Max Ventura running ?

Hello & greetings !

Has anyone tried to run a Fireface 800 on MacBook Pro M2 Max ?
I know that M1 / Ventura works with double adapter.

Thinking about to upgrade to M2 but not before being sure that my beloved old school Fireface 800 will work.

Thank you

Leif

Re: Fireface 800 / MacBook Pro M2 Max Ventura running ?

It will, but Apple seems likely to be dropping support for Firewire sooner or later.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

It will, but Apple seems likely to be dropping support for Firewire sooner or later.

Does that mean, FireWire devices really can’t work anymore then or is it more like 'it still works but not officially supported'

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

I don't know - remains to be seen, I guess.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

This means it's already working on an M2 with the driver Version 3.41 ???
Because in the driver description it says "just Supports Intel and M1."

Really don't want to give up my beloved Fireface 800 when switching to a new laptop.
Thanks a lot in advance for your answer

bbking wrote:

The driver version 3.41 and the related description dates from 2021, so it simply came out earlier than Apple computers with M2 processors. Because the driver works even on newer M1 and M2 computers and also on macOS 13 Ventura, there was no reason yet to publish an update.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

oli77sch wrote:
bbking wrote:

The driver version 3.41 and the related description dates from 2021, so it simply came out earlier than Apple computers with M2 processors. Because the driver works even on newer M1 and M2 computers and also on macOS 13 Ventura, there was no reason yet to publish an update.

That makes sense. Thanks a lot for your answer!!

Weighing-in on folks trying to get the double adapter (FW to TB, then TB to TB3 adapters) to work:  if you can accommodate the cost, the MOST COMPATIBLE way to get FF 800 working perfectly, and reliably with 3.41 driver and Ventura is ---

Purchase a reputable Thunderbolt3 PCI Chassis along with a TI Chip-based Firewire 800 PCI-E interface card.  That worked for me, and that has been my connectivity chain for 4 years now.  No adapters needed, just pure PCI via Thunderbolt, and it never failed me.

Now, MacOS Sonoma is possibly another story.  There is another thread on that, and I will eventually install a mature beta of MacOS 14 Sonoma, to see if the last created drivers still work.   If they don't, it means I will need to leave one of my audio workstations on Ventura while I plot an audio interface migration path.

But just wanted to add my 0.02 on having FF 800 work with Apple Silicon & MacOS Ventura, because as of this time it works 100% -- though Apple could rip this away in Sonoma when it comes out later this year...

9 (edited by TX-Jdub 2023-09-26 20:35:29)

Quick update, the PCI Chassis method to use the FF800  STILL works in MacOS 14.0 Sonoma.   Tested in beta earlier this summer, and now on Release Day 9/26 --

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 17#p208317

Just got a new M2 MBP. Using 2 adapters to connect my FF800 and just got drivers installed and working fantastically so far. OS version is Ventura 13.6.

Question - Anybody using this hardware config with Sonoma 14.0? Hesitant to rock the boat.

Hey everybody!

Just to write that in Sonoma 14.1.2 with an MBPro 16'' M1, FF800 works connected with the 2 official apple adapters.

When I upgrade, FF800 didn't work. An alert says "that a program loaded or tried to load a system extension signed by the developer of that extension".

I install the last driver an another alert ask "to open Security & Privacy preferences to allow the extension. You may also need to restart your Mac".

In "Security & Privacy", In "Full Access to the HD" section I had "Fireface settings" (I don't know if I need to do that) and in "Security" section I authorized RME. I restart & bim!
So happy.

… & I forget to write that I upgrade from Monterey to the 14.1.2