Topic: FireFace UFX switch from Firewire to USB 2?

Got a new much faster Windows 11 PC  .

For my FireFace UFX I am about to switch from Firewire to USB 2 .. anything I need to know to do this?
thanks

2 (edited by oli77sch 2023-05-31 05:31:50)

Re: FireFace UFX switch from Firewire to USB 2?

Hi
It needs the USB driver, and maybe it’s worth to check if the firmware has to be updated.
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads.html

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

I would save the current TM FX settings to your computer (File -> Save Workspace As) to be on the safe side.

Not 100% sure whether your UFX is being recognized as the same device when using a different driver.
In this case, you could easily restore (File -> Load Workspace).

In your DAW and RME applications like e.g., DIGICheck, MIDI Remote, MIDI Remote AVB, RME Connector you need to select/configure the new USB driver.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by decemberance 2023-06-08 16:21:21)

Is this change going to improve the connection between PC and UFX?
I'm asking because I'm still using the FireWire 400 connection.

5 (edited by ramses 2023-06-08 16:51:47)

Many years ago, when I still had the old UFX, then I had fewer issues with USB2 compared with FW400.
With FW400, there were some combinations of sample rates and ASIO buffer sizes which didn't work properly (might have been Firewire / mainboard related).
In contrast to that, I had no issues with USB2 in that regard, and additionally, you can update the firmware over USB, which is not possible with FW400. Saves you one cable and one PCIe card in your system.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you for the response, to be honest I have no problem at all with the FireWire, I have it connected with a dedicated mini PCI card in my PC.
I just wondered if I'm missing something.