Topic: Power supply requirements for ADI 2 DAC fs (1st gen)

I have an old liner regulated psu (from an bench multimeter I think) its specs are 15v, 1A max, I measured it and it holds 15.1v all the way up to 1A and ripple is 0.3mv with 60hz primary frequency at 1A load, is it safe to run ADI 2 DAC fs with it? the dac is being used as pream and dsp, it's not driving headphones.

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-06-08 13:14:39)

Re: Power supply requirements for ADI 2 DAC fs (1st gen)

Sebastian.Athea wrote:

I have an old liner regulated psu (from an bench multimeter I think) its specs are 15v, 1A max, I measured it and it holds 15.1v all the way up to 1A and ripple is 0.3mv with 60hz primary frequency at 1A load, is it safe to run ADI 2 DAC fs with it? the dac is being used as pream and dsp, it's not driving headphones.

It’s just within specs for ADI-2 DAC.

Before plugging, check for correct polarity.

KaiS wrote:
Sebastian.Athea wrote:

It’s just within specs for ADI-2 DAC.

Before plugging, check for correct polarity.

No worries, it doesn't have the barrel plug, it's using aviation type connector so I'll make my own barrel plug cable.

BTW do you know the exact specs for power requirements of the unit in pure preamp / dsp mode? Manual is pretty vague about it.

The specs from the manual - idle 7 W, full power 18 W, Voltage 9.5 - 15 V are as specific as can be.

From MC’s comments in the forum we know over voltage protection kicks in at ca. 18 V.

Preamp mode can be expected to be close to idle, according to my measurements on ADI-2 Pro.
Highest power would come from driving low impedance headphones to uninterrupted full power - an unrealistic, only theoretical or measurement situation scenario.

Your PSU‘s 15.1 V are within specs, 0.1 V  above doesn‘t hurt and will be eaten up in the cable‘s resistance anyway.
So are it’s 15 W power.

Go for it, but really triple check polarity!

KaiS wrote:

The specs from the manual - idle 7 W, full power 18 W, Voltage 9.5 - 15 V are as specific as can be.

From MC’s comments in the forum we know over voltage protection kicks in at ca. 18 V.

Preamp mode can be expected to be close to idle, according to my measurements on ADI-2 Pro.
Highest power would come from driving low impedance headphones to uninterrupted full power - an unrealistic, only theoretical or measurement situation scenario.

Your PSU‘s 15.1 V are within specs, 0.1 V  above doesn‘t hurt and will be eaten up in the cable‘s resistance anyway.
So are it’s 15 W power.

Go for it, but really triple check polarity!

Thank you, I'll measure the cable when I make it to be sure I get the polarity right.