1 (edited by stephan_martin 2023-06-09 22:14:03)

Topic: Change order of channels in Totalmix

I recently switched from using a MOTU 828ES to using a RME UCX II and an ADI-2 DAC FS. I only have headphones and monitors connected to the ADI-2 DAC FS and the audio is routed via SPDIF coax (using the breakout cable) from UCX to ADI-2.

I find it very convenient to always have my master channel in Ableton to output to channel 1/2 (software playback). That way I can open up my projects on the go and listen back using the other audio interfaces, for example the headphones jack on my MacBook Pro M1 Pro, without changing the output channels in each project.

The "software playback" channels in Totalmix are named and ordered 1:1 to the hardware outputs and starts with Analog 1/2. Is it possible to reorder the channels?

I can of course route software playback "Analog 1/2" to hardware output SPDIF and then software playback "analog 3/4" to hardware output "Analog 1/2". But it's easily a reason for confusion at a later state. To make it less confusing I can then rename all software playback channels to just numbers lite "SW 1/2", "SW 3/4" and so on, but the custom names is not communicated to the macOS system, so in for example Audio Midi Settings app, the channels are still named like the original.

So it would be great just to be able to reorder them instead.

I've spent about two hours reading the manual on Totalmix and learning everything, but haven't figured out if it's possible to reorder channels.

Re: Change order of channels in Totalmix

Hi
In Logic pro it is possible to assign the main out to a specific output (software playback channel in TotalMix) of a specific audio interface. Maybe there is a similar option in Ableton? If so, you simply could select the SPDIF output there.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

3 (edited by stephan_martin 2023-06-12 07:51:56)

oli77sch wrote:

Hi
In Logic pro it is possible to assign the main out to a specific output (software playback channel in TotalMix) of a specific audio interface. Maybe there is a similar option in Ableton? If so, you simply could select the SPDIF output there.

Not that I know of. Audio channels in and out is only saved on a project basis in Ableton Live.

stephan_martin wrote:
oli77sch wrote:

Hi

Not that I know of. Audio channels in and out is only saved on a project basis in Ableton Live.

You could check if Ableton takes the macOS system audio output setting for the main out. Go to the Audio-Midi-Setup app, select the UCX and open the 'speaker configuration' (bottom right in the audio devices window). Select SPDIF L/R. Now this output is set for the macOS system audio (playback from browser, Finder…). Depending on how Ableton and CoreAudio are working together, this setting also could be active for the DAW.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2