Topic: RayDat not recognised - Urgent help needed

I have been using the HDSP 9652 for several years and have had a great experience with it. I needed to upgrade my computer but couldn't use the old card since the new computer only has PCIe slots not the older PCI. I just purchased at RayDat to install in my brand new computer but the card is not recognised at all. It doesn't even show up in the Device Manager.

The computer is a Dell XPS 8500 with the following specs
Core i7 3770 3.40 GHz Processor
32GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 7870 Graphics Card

The mother board has one PCIe x16 slot (occupied by the graphics card) and thee PCIe x1 slots. One is occupied by the RayDat, one by a firewire card and the 3rd is empty. There is no other sound card installed inside the computer though there was a Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe installed in the machine when I bought it. I have removed the Recon3D card but the software and drivers are still on the system. The on-board sound is disabled. The machine is running Win 8 Professional 64 bit.

The firewire card is only there at the moment because I can't get the RayDat to work. I run a busy audio and video production studio and need to have this system working properly. I am frustrated that I am having to use a $20 firewire card to interface with the outside world while the $900 Raydat is just sitting there. Everything else on the system is working well. I just need to use ADAT rather than firewire to interface between the software on the computer and the Tascam D4800 board in my studio.

I have downloaded all the latest drivers and flash updates but haven't been able to get that far. The card just sits there and is not recognized by the computer.

What can I do?

Thanks

apmedia

Re: RayDat not recognised - Urgent help needed

Have you tried the standard recommendation of disabling all of the PCIe Power Savings crap in the BIOS?  And I believe the RayDat has a jumper to control its boot-up delay (or what not) to aid compatibility across MoBo's - but I'd start with the PCIe Power Savings settings...

Aside from that - are you positive the card is good?  Do you have another PC to quickly test it and see if it's detected?  You could also try running your new PC's onboard HD4000 graphics and yank the PCIe x16 graphics card, and see if the RayDat is recognized in the x16 slot (I run my HDSPe MADI card in a free x16 slot w/o any issues).

Good luck! cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes I did try the card in the old computer. I didn't install the drivers, but it did show up in the Device Manager so I am fairly confident the card is working.

The PCIe power savings setting in Windows is set to 'Off'. Is that what you mean by the BIOS power savings or is there somewhere else to tweek.

I had also tried removing my graphics adapter and just using the on board video and yet even with nothing in any of the PCIe slots except the RayDat, it still did not show up in the device manager.

I don't know about jumper settings on the card. Searching the forum earlier it seems that others have experienced a similar issue and there were some ideas about changing jumpers but not specifics of what to change.

Still looking for an answer.

apmedia

No problem.

There might be some "PCIe Power Savings" type settings in the BIOS Setup itself (the BIOS settings take effect way before Windows gets involved).  I'd look there before messing with any jumpers.

I'm not even sure if my MADI cards have the jumper I referred to, but I haven't had a need to explore further as they work fine "as-is" in my DAW-PC's.  I believe the jumper in question affects the card's boot-up speed, and can help compatibility in some setups.  That's about all I know on the matter - sorry...

Good luck cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Please test the card in the PEG slot. This has helped on some Dell systems. We will also likely have a firmware update soon to avoid this issue by making the system disable PCIe power saving at the hardware level. Dell computers usually lack the BIOS option.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yes the RayDat works if I take out the Video Card and install the Raydat into the x16 PCIe slot. However this is not a solution since I need the video card and the computer only has one x16 slot and 3 x1 slots.  The x1 slot seems to be functioning ok since it is where the original Creative Recon3D sound card was installed. That card worked fine. It is just the RayDat card that doesn't work. I have tried installing in in different slots but no difference. It works in the x16 but not in the x1's. I would appreciate any insight as to how I maybe able to get the RayDat to work in the x1 slot.

Thanks

apmedia

By downloading the new firmware from our website...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks so much for the insight and help. My original problem was that the RayDat card was not recognized at all by the computer (Dell XPS 8500 Win 8 Pro). It did not show up in Device Manager. Following the advice on this forum and from the administrators, I temporarily removed the video card and installed the RayDat into the x16 slot. In that position the card was recognized. I was then able to install the latest driver (3.36) and then updated the RayDat firmware to 2.31. After successfully completing the firmware upgrade I reinstalled the video card into the x16 slot and the Raydat into the x1 slot and everything is now working great!!! The firmware upgrade fixed the problem.

Thank you

apmedia

9 (edited by joju 2023-06-11 17:19:14)

hi there im a new user of PCI cards and RME.

I got a raydat inserted right I believe buy my HP (win 7 64  bit) doesnt recognize it

I tried another slot , latest compatible  drivers from the webstite are downloaded.

Intel X58 Express (should be this chip) as omuter is hp z400

I would like to make sure as MC that I can downalaod the new drivers install them and restart it so hopefully it will?

OR ITS A MUST NOT TO DO THAT AND QUIT MY GRAPHIC CARDS INSTALLL RAYDAT AND CHANGE EVERYTRHING AGAIN?

Hopefully is possible as MC said, ir should I otherwise try as APMEDIA made it?

Thanks in advance