Topic: Is the RME 802 FS the newly upgraded version? 802 FS or UFX II?

I notice that there's FS in the 802 series now. There seems to be no firewire supported. Is it upgraded recently? I noticed some improvements in the analog measurements and of course the SteadyClock FS clock. What are some other differences?

Another question would be that I'm thinking this is going to be superior to UFX II somehow with relatively lower price, so which one do you recommend if I'm getting one for the studio, will there be a FS version for the UFX II as well?

Thanks!

2 (edited by oli77sch 2023-06-13 08:27:14)

Re: Is the RME 802 FS the newly upgraded version? 802 FS or UFX II?

Well spotted! Without any announcement suddenly there …?
Anyway UFX series are above the 802 having some features like digital controlled mic preamps, DURec, color display ...

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

oli77sch wrote:

Well spotted! Without any announcement suddenly there …?
Anyway UFX series are above the 802 having some features like digital controlled mic preamps, DURec, color display ...

Thank you for your answer.  I've used UFX II and love the display and DURec and sure UFX II is still a better choice overall but I would really love to see future UFX II also benifit from the ADDA spec that's recently seen on the upgraded 802 FS. I may need to choose between a relatively better ADDA and better functionality for my next though.

UFX II AD SNR 113dB
802FS AD SNR 116dB
UFX II AD THD+N -104dB
802FS AD THD+N -110dB
UFX II DA THD+N -104dB
802FS DA THD+N -110dB

That can actually start to matter in certain conditions.
Still UFX II still have better preamps.

The 'future' UFX II exists for some time already. As I mentioned in this forum the UFX III and II have the same analog board, thus the same tech specs. And the new 802 FS has a different board, but the same circuits and AD/DA = tech specs again...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by Finfet 2023-06-14 04:33:52)

I see, so if my understanding is correct then the spec on paper and product name is not updated but as components are constantly updating in the actual manufacturing, so actual ADDA specs are getting better than claimed? That's great so I may get the UFX II without hesitate. Thank you for making that clear.

Yes, you got this right.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by maggie33 2023-06-24 20:03:57)

And the new 802 FS has a different board, but the same circuits and AD/DA = tech specs again...

MC, one further question about the three 802 Versions (802 A, 802 E and the new 802 FS):
Untill now it seems, all 3 versions are officially suported. I mean, the drivers and firmware (for 802 A and 802 E) have always been updated and supported (in the same packages). Now the FS has been added.

Will RME keep this in future? So the "old-board" versions will still get updates?

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard

8 (edited by ramses 2023-06-24 20:36:11)

maggie33 wrote:

And the new 802 FS has a different board, but the same circuits and AD/DA = tech specs again...

MC, one further question about the three 802 Versions (802 A, 802 E and the new 802 FS):
Untill now it seems, all 3 versions are officially suported. I mean, the drivers and firmware (for 802 A and 802 E) have always been updated and supported (in the same packages). Now the FS has been added.

Will RME keep this in future? So the "old-board" versions will still get updates?

If you look closer or use my Excel comparison sheet (https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35156, line 28, driver) then you will see that the 802 is using the same USB driver like UCX and UCX II. So, the driver will be updated for the last recent products and thus as well for the 802.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Nice chart, ramses. Thank you.

OK - Drivers for the USB connected Fireface variants are same and will be updated. beruhigt wink

But, what about the firmware (Flash)? I mean the fut_usbxxx file.
Current version from last week:
802 A: 20/9/9/12, 802 E: 112/101/101/9, 802 FS: 221/ 212/ 27

Edit: Ok - i compared the fut's with some older ones... Seems the 802 FS is mentioned now. I think i understand now.

“Do It For Her”

All RME products have a long product / update cycle and if there should be a bug in the firmware which is fixable, then it becomes fixed.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I know about RME's lifecycle strategy... That's exactly the reason why I decided to buy RME interfaces.
I was just a little shocked, when i saw that my 802 does not appear on the products page anymore ;-)

“Do It For Her”