Topic: Babyface (original) Hum on M2 MacBook Pro...

Hi

I get a lowish hum using my Babyface with my M2 MacBook Pro running Ventura. I've updated to the latest firmware and drivers.

What can I do? It's really annoying when doing work on subtle sounds, and I can hear it all the time

I used to have buzzing issues with my old 2015 MacBook and the babyface, that would go away when the power was unplugged to the MacBook. But this no longer has any effect

Any ideas?

Re: Babyface (original) Hum on M2 MacBook Pro...

How is your Totalmix looking ? Did you try a Total Reset ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

How is your Totalmix looking ? Did you try a Total Reset ?

Yeah just tried it, it made no difference. Nothing seems to make a difference

I forgot to mention it doesn't happen on the headphone outputs, just the main XLR outputs

That means there is no hum on the BF, but in the unit connected to the XLR outputs. Lifting pin 1 on one side of the cables might help.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

That means there is no hum on the BF, but in the unit connected to the XLR outputs. Lifting pin 1 on one side of the cables might help.

I just read the manual to my mixer and the Stereo inputs are all unbalanced. Which is very annoying! My only option is to have e the Babyface go into 2 XLR inputs on 2 separate channels, but then I have to somehow balance L and R, which isn't ideal

Seems a lot of these little 10/12 channel desks don't have any balanced stereo inputs. How are we expected to plug in audio interfaces

robodelfy wrote:
MC wrote:

I just read the manual to my mixer and the Stereo inputs are all unbalanced. Which is very annoying! My only option is to have e the Babyface go into 2 XLR inputs on 2 separate channels, but then I have to somehow balance L and R, which isn't ideal

Seems a lot of these little 10/12 channel desks don't have any balanced stereo inputs. How are we expected to plug in audio interfaces

You could use a Y cable on the headphone output. One stereo plug on one side, two unbalanced mono on the other side.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

This will most probably cause hum as well.

Using two XLR inputs is the way to go, level adjustment is easy...try it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Yes that did also cause hum.

Using two separate channels on the desk is not an option, as I need it perfectly balanced left to right and to adjust volume.

I was about to order an Allen and Heath Z10 desk, as it says it can take balanced and unbalanced stereo signals into the inputs, but on further inspection it doesn't actually have balanced inputs! Ridiculous. I'm surprised I can't find a small desk with this

I've ordered a Behring HD400 hum destroyer, it was only £25, hopefully it will work!

robodelfy wrote:
MC wrote:

Using two separate channels on the desk is not an option, as I need it perfectly balanced left to right and to adjust volume.

I was about to order an Allen and Heath Z10 desk, as it says it can take balanced and unbalanced stereo signals into the inputs, but on further inspection it doesn't actually have balanced inputs! Ridiculous. I'm surprised I can't find a small desk with this

I've ordered a Behring HD400 hum destroyer, it was only £25, hopefully it will work!

Mackie VLZ4!

10 (edited by robodelfy 2023-06-15 16:29:36)

oli77sch wrote:
robodelfy wrote:
MC wrote:

Mackie VLZ4!

thanks I didn't look at this yet! It seems to have balanced stereo ins - in the manual it says 'these fully balanced inputs'. In the Allen and Heath one they said it can accept balanced sources, but hid the fact the inputs weren't balanced!

thanks!

robodelfy wrote:
oli77sch wrote:
robodelfy wrote:

Mackie VLZ4!

thanks I didn't look at this yet! It seems to have balanced stereo ins - in the manual it says 'these fully balanced inputs'. In the Allen and Heath one they said it can accept balanced sources, but hid the fact the inputs weren't balanced!

thanks!

I don't know what exact A&H mixer model you have, but it could be the line input on the mono channels are balanced while the ones on the stereo channels are unbalanced.
I have a Mackie 1202VLZ4, it really has balanced line inputs and also the overall sound and build quality is really good!

oli77sch wrote:
robodelfy wrote:
oli77sch wrote:

Mackie VLZ4!

thanks!

I don't know what exact A&H mixer model you have, but it could be the line input on the mono channels are balanced while the ones on the stereo channels are unbalanced.
I have a Mackie 1202VLZ4, it really has balanced line inputs and also the overall sound and build quality is really good!

ok thanks, it might well be the one to get when I have the money! If this Behringer HD400 doesn't sort out this hum