1 (edited by Seaside Music 2023-06-17 01:23:25)

Topic: [Solved] UCX II driver update to 1.245 now ASIO gone

I updated my drivers to 1.245 last night.  When I opened my DAW today ( Samplitude Pro X8) ASIO is not detected.

I have tried rolling back to 1.243 and still no luck with ASIO drivers. 

What should I try next?

2 (edited by Seaside Music 2023-06-17 01:25:35)

Re: [Solved] UCX II driver update to 1.245 now ASIO gone

OK. After getting nowhere with rebooting and checking things in Totalmix, I re-installed driver 1.245.  Then Samplitude found ASIO drivers again this time around.

now I have no sound output.  I master clock AD/DA with the BURL B2 ADC/DAC using the ADAT optical I/O.

I am able to record sound in through the ADC, but playback or monitoring is not audible although all meters in the daw are going, all meters in Totalmix are working, and no matter where I assign the master output in Totalmix or my DAW, I can not get the BURL DAC to register any input from the ADAT optical out.

Should I run flash update 42/26/21 again?

I should add that for the last year or so I've been getting this message upon bootup:

"Mismatch Detected - Channel and FX settings between UCX II and Totalmix are different.

Click Yes to use the Totalmix settings (Default)

Click No to upload the device settings into Totalmix

Note: If unsure click No to check the unit's settings first, then hit UNDO to restore the last Totalmix settings.

I have always just clicked NO and gone on with my business.

OK...I tried a different optical cable between the UCX II and the BURL DAC, but still no signal.  Yes I've made sure that my Fireface settings drop down is set to ADAT and the input source on the BURL is set for toslink optical.

it's all been working great for a couple years now.

so I hooked up a coax spdif cable between the UCX and the BURL and after changing the settings from ADAT to spdif, I can hear sound again.

maybe the optical in on the BURL DAC has gone bad, but it would be an extremely weird coincidence to happen at the exact same time I do a driver update to RME.

still wondering if I could or should re-flash firmware update.

Seaside Music wrote:

OK. After getting nowhere with rebooting and checking things in Totalmix, I re-installed driver 1.245.  Then Samplitude found ASIO drivers again this time around.

now I have no sound output.  I master clock AD/DA with the BURL B2 ADC/DAC using the ADAT optical I/O.

I am able to record sound in through the ADC, but playback or monitoring is not audible although all meters in the daw are going, all meters in Totalmix are working, and no matter where I assign the master output in Totalmix or my DAW, I can not get the BURL DAC to register any input from the ADAT optical out.

In that moment you should have plugged the output of the UCX II into its own input, with clock set to Internal to work, to check what is really pouring out of the optical cable. No signal? Signal but wrong format (SPDIF, ADAT)? If everything is ok the error must be in configuration of the Burl.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
Seaside Music wrote:

In that moment you should have plugged the output of the UCX II into its own input, with clock set to Internal to work, to check what is really pouring out of the optical cable. No signal? Signal but wrong format (SPDIF, ADAT)? If everything is ok the error must be in configuration of the Burl.

Thank you for helping...I'm not sure I totally understand so I want to ask some more info:

You are saying take a single toslink cable and connect it from the ADAT out to the ADAT in of the UCX II with clock set to internal, correct?  What should I be looking for exactly - to see if meters are showing input?

exactly

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

OK...I did try that - I connected the ADAT OUT to the ADAT IN with a single optical cable and set UCX clock to internal.

played some audio in my DAW routed to the ADAT optical out and had meters on the UCX II.

meters were showing output on ADAT 1/2 and input on ADAT 1/2 as well as the bottom row furthest pair on the left side of the UCX screen. 

so does this point to the Burl as the issue?  something must have gone wrong with the optical in.  seems so strange that it has been working well this way for some time and the exact minute I update the UCX driver it fails.

previously I ran my babyface with a UA2192 AD/DA in this manner for many, many years with great success.

I have reached out to support at Burl as well and await instruction from them.

During upgrading, did you play with cables ?
Disconnect and connect something ?
Connect into the wrong socket often happens, also old cable plug starts to brake...?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

During upgrading, did you play with cables ?
Disconnect and connect something ?
Connect into the wrong socket often happens, also old cable plug starts to brake...?

no.  I never touch any cables in my AD/DA or UCX II.

In Lopback test check the status of the input signal - does ADAT or SPDIF come in? What does the Burl need? And how is the UCX II set to send out what format?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

12 (edited by Seaside Music 2023-06-19 06:57:23)

MC wrote:

In Lopback test check the status of the input signal - does ADAT or SPDIF come in? What does the Burl need? And how is the UCX II set to send out what format?

Hi Matthias,

Thank you again for your help.  Yes signals were coming in on the UCX as normal with loopback.

In the UCX USB settings dialog, under Output Format, the dropdown was set to ADAT. I checked my old machine with my old Gen 1 Babyface, and that is how I had it running with optical I/O to my UA2192 doing the clocking and conversion.

But tonight I found that if I set that optical format to SPDIF in my new system, I got meters and sound was back with the Burl DAC.  Changing it back over to ADAT and I have no sound or meters.

Someone on the Samplitude forum pointed out to me that if I'm only running 2 channels with the Burl units, I need to use SPDIF since ADAT is for 8 channel operation only. 

I turned on my old system tonight to double check that setting and I defintely had it set to ADAT in the Babyface diaglog under Output Format.  I ran optical I/O out of the Babyface to the ADAT I/O on the UA2192.  At least that's what I thought.

Then I found this little device in a drawer and my memory came back.  It was an MAudio CO2 (coaxial/optical converter).

I was taking optical out of my Babyface, converting to coaxial SPDIF and running it into the SPDIF coax of my 2192.  I had completely forgotten about that device and my use of it.

So the bottom line is: by setting SPDIF in the Output Format section of the UCX dialog, I am back in business and correctly interfacing these units for now.

I have ordered some AES/EBU cables and will be moving to that format going forward.