Topic: TotalMix on MacBook Pro 2015 with FireFace 802

Hello everyone,
I could really use some help with a rather curious problem with TotalMix using a FireFace 802.
I have been using the FireFace without problems on my studio iMac ever since I bought the interface new, a few years back. I work in Submix mode and 3 rows, with returns from my DAW in the middle row, inputs in the top and outputs in the bottom… normal !
I recently purchased a second hand early 2015 MacBook Pro 13" as a convenient solution for doing occasional concert recordings on location. The MacBook came preinstalled with clean MacOS Monterey latest version system.
I downloaded the latest installer for Fireface USB and Totalmix from the RME site and installed everything. After a reboot, I launched FireFace USB Settings and my FireFace 802 appeared in the top popUp menu, selected by default. The Clock source was internal (as for my iMac), but the Sample Rate was at 32000 Hz. Changing it to 44100 Hz only reverted to 32000 Hz! Impossible to change.
I launched TotalMix. The menus appeared (with many Options greyed!), but no window ! I connected the 802 back to my iMac and checked the "Activate CC mode on disconnect" Option was unchecked, which it was, so returned to the MacBook and tried again. No change.
I did a search on both the MacBook and iMac for "RME" including system files and invisibles and both were the same EXCEPT THAT on the MacBook, in the Main Library, I found a "StagedExtensions" folder in which was a RMEFirefaceUSB.kext extension. There was the "normal" one in the extensions folder also.
An Internet search revealed that these Staged Extensions "have to do with user approved extensions". Since my iMac did not have this file, I opted to get rid of it using the only thing I found that worked to do so, "sudo kextcache --clear-staging" in the Terminal.
On rebooting and launching TotalMix, the main mix window appeared but with only two rows, inputs and outputs. The inputs were working and I had 24bit 44100Hz recording available in my DAW.
I took the MacBook/FireFace 802 setup to record a concert the following day and the recording went fine but WITHOUT ANY MONITORING, which is a nuisance, to say the least, when recording! I think this has to be to do with the missing second row in TotalMix, and that the installation on the MacBook is still corrupt in some way. I tried a clean install to no avail.
What I have noticed is that the blue window in "View Options" in TotalMix on the MBP does NOT have the"ROUTING MODE" section that I have on the iMac, it just has at "LEVEL METERS" and "SHOW", so I cannot uncheck the "2 Row" button as it doesn't exist!
Sorry this post is a bit long, but I wanted to give you the full picture.

Can anybody give me any pointers on how to solve this problem please? I would love to have this working normally on my MBP, and I can't see why it shouldn't be possible. Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: TotalMix on MacBook Pro 2015 with FireFace 802

Oh my, a new user with the user name of "admin". What can go wrong here? lol

3 (edited by oli77sch 2023-06-21 17:34:29)

What driver did you installed? 'Latest' is not really precise…
On what firmware is the 802? That should be visible in the Fireface USB settings app. Maybe it’s simply a mismatch between driver and firmware versions.
Could it be your Totalmix is set to DAW mode at the moment?

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

4 (edited by bwmusic 2023-06-21 18:38:47)

Muffin wrote:

Oh my, a new user with the user name of "admin". What can go wrong here? lol

You're dead right of course, and I realised straight away, but I can't see how to change it! I registered on my companies' admin account and mechanically typed "admin" ! If you know how I can change it, please let me know wink

oli77sch wrote:

On what firmware is the 802? That should be visible in the Fireface USB settings app. Maybe it’s simply a mismatch between driver and firmware versions.

Brilliant !! You hit the nail on the head straight away. TotalMix was set to DAW !! I changed it to Full Mode and everything fell back into place.
Thank you sooooooo much.

admin wrote:
oli77sch wrote:

Brilliant !! You hit the nail on the head straight away. TotalMix was set to DAW !! I changed it to Full Mode and everything fell back into place.
Thank you sooooooo much.

You’re welcome, glad to hear it works now. Anyway I don’t understand the initial issues you had…

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

oli77sch wrote:
admin wrote:
oli77sch wrote:

Thank you sooooooo much.

You’re welcome, glad to hear it works now. Anyway I don’t understand the initial issues you had…

Yes… I really don't know what happened. I had no worries on my studio machine with either installations or updates. Very odd. I'll remember the "StagedExtensions" gag though ! Any how, all's well that ends well smile Thanks again.