Topic: ADI-2/4 to handle all conversion with Apollo x8

Hi everyone,

Hope someone finds the time to chime in here smile

I’m considering getting a ADI-2/4 Pro to work as a mastering AD and DA converter, but reading through the manual, I’m a little uncertain whether I can do what I describe below.

Basically I want the RME to handle all of the conversions while still being able to monitor the final output.
I’ll try to describe my setup as clearly as possible, and maybe you can tell me wether this is possible? It would be greatly appreciated.

I’m using an Apollo x8 that I want to still be part of the setup, since I’m using the ins and outs for production stuff, hardware synthesizers, pedals, etc.
So, what I’m picturing is this:

I work in Logic, and I mix and master using a hybrid setup using the I/O plugin as a hardware insert.

The routing on that I/O plugin insert would be:

Spdif out from Apollo - > Spdif in on ADI
Analog 3-4 out on ADI -> patchbay/outboard in
patchbay/outboard out -> Analog 1-2 in on ADI
Spdif out from ADI -> Spdif in on Apollo

Then, my master out 1-2 on the Apollo would be set to ADAT out -> ADAT in on ADI.

Finally, ADI out 1-2 would go to my monitors.

Does this make sense to you, and is it possible?

Thanks in advance,
All the best,
Caspar

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-06-30 16:16:45)

Re: ADI-2/4 to handle all conversion with Apollo x8

This all would work, except you cannot use ADI-2’s SPDIF Coax AND Optical/ADAT inputs at the same time.

You can use AES and SPDIF-Optical/ADAT, see block diagram manual page 41.

For ADI-2/4’s AES input you might need either:

• A simple adapter cable Apollo’s Coax to ADI-2/4’s AES, RCA to XLRm, which usually works.
- or -
• An impedance converter like this one, but only if Apollo’s Coax electrical signal level is weak and need a little push to drive ADI-2:
https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/naditbnc-mx

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images500x500/Neutrik_NADITBNC_MX_Digital_Impedance_Transformer_880882.jpg

PLUS: https://www.thomann.de/gb/pro_snake_bnc … dapter.htm
https://thumbs.static-thomann.de/thumb/padthumb600x600/pics/bdb/165673/13272666_800.jpg

Thanks KaiS, that’s very helpful !
Best,
Caspar

Hi there,

I am also considering an ADI-2/4 to insert my analog mastering chain, monitor with or without it inserted and record the D/A -> A/D loop back.

I read the manual but I wasn't able to answer my questions ...

Ideally I want to use it both as a slave from an apollo x4 and x8p while mixing and as a standalone USB interface while mastering.

So before ordering it, I want to be sure that the 2 following routing scenarios are possible (ideally with the minimal amout of configuration on the ADI) :

- Apollo x4 S/PDIF OUT 1/2 (with output mirrored to S/PDIF OUT 1/2 to keep the x4 as a monitoring controller) ->  ADI S/PDIF IN OPTICAL 1/2 -> LINE OUT 1/2 XLR -> ANALOG CHAIN -> LINE IN 1/2 XLR -> LINE OUT 3/4 TRS to my studio monitor | S/PDIF OUT 1/2 -> Apollo x4 S/PDIF IN 1/2 (for recording)

- PC USB OUT 1/2 -> ADI USB IN 1/2 -> LINE OUT 1/2 XLR -> ANALOG CHAIN -> LINE IN 1/2 XLR -> LINE OUT 3/4 TRS to my studio monitor | USB 1/2 OUT -> PC USB IN 1/2

One last thing, do you think the converters quality both for monitoring and the analog loop back will be really improved compared to the x8p ?

I have no other better experience apart from those UA interfaces, and I really want to obtain a significant improvement.

5 (edited by KaiS 2023-07-02 22:17:10)

DrumatiC wrote:

...I want to be sure that the 2 following routing scenarios are possible (ideally with the minimal amout of configuration on the ADI) :

- Apollo x4 S/PDIF OUT 1/2 (with output mirrored to S/PDIF OUT 1/2 to keep the x4 as a monitoring controller) ->  ADI S/PDIF IN OPTICAL 1/2 -> LINE OUT 1/2 XLR -> ANALOG CHAIN -> LINE IN 1/2 XLR -> LINE OUT 3/4 TRS to my studio monitor | S/PDIF OUT 1/2 -> Apollo x4 S/PDIF IN 1/2 (for recording)

- PC USB OUT 1/2 -> ADI USB IN 1/2 -> LINE OUT 1/2 XLR -> ANALOG CHAIN -> LINE IN 1/2 XLR -> LINE OUT 3/4 TRS to my studio monitor | USB 1/2 OUT -> PC USB IN 1/2

The routings both work.

Reconfiguration of ADI-2/4, as much as needed, can be done with simply selecting self-predefined “Setups”.

Thank you sir !