1 (edited by samppa 2023-07-04 19:51:38)

Topic: AVB planning assistance

Hi forum!

I just bought a 12mic (avb) on sale and I have the original Babyface also. Using mainly Mac M1. My needs are basically as follows:

- record drums that are located in a studio
- track and listen in a separate control room, about 50 meters away from the drumset
- have ability to use talkback for the drummer/player
- playback on a stereo configuration for now, maybe later expand to Atmos setup

I am okay with networks etc. and love the idea of “ethernet for everything”.

What would be the best/optimal setup for this? I feel if I now add e.g. UFX III I am also getting away from the AVB realm and spending money on things that I do not necessarily need. Also it is my understanding that I would then need to run optical madi and potentially ethernet for control. This is not optimal if I need to change location.

But also getting an AVB switch etc. adds cost and AVB Tool does not even seem to be available anywhere. Digiface AVB does not have analog inputs.

Your help and thoughts are greatly appreciated!

2 (edited by waedi 2023-07-04 19:55:03)

Re: AVB planning assistance

Your Mac has AVB onboard already.
You need a Gigabit ethernet adapter for the network connection, if your Mac hasn't a network port.

How do I enable AVB on my Mac?
Browse your network for an AVB device in Audio-MIDI-Setup on Mac
In the Audio-MIDI-Setup app on your Mac, choose Window > Show Network Device Browser.
In the Network Device Browser window, select the checkbox for the device you want to use.

In the Terminal : avbutil --controller

This opens directly the MacOS built-in AVB controller

If you have a good 50m ethernet cable then it might work just.
Otherwise a 50m optical madi cable comes into the game plus an additional Madi-interface.
If you want it very cheap, simply connect the Babyface with 50m ADAT cable.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by samppa 2023-07-04 19:59:55)

waedi wrote:

Your Mac has AVB onboard already.

Thanks waedi! Indeed, that part is fairly easy. But maybe I missed the point on how that helps me to “solve the rest of the puzzle” e.g. how should I best arrange the talkback and local stereo output?

ADAT also has cable length limitations (or conversion needs in case of longer runs).

The stereo out is the headphone socket at the front of the 12Mic
But it has no Adat input so the Adat connection can not serve talkback or stereo output.
The direct AVB ethernet connection has no Totalmix, then the Talkback function has to get created other way.
You probably need to create an aggregate device in the Audio-Midi-Setup and use the Babyface for this, or connect a mic to the 12Mic via 50m mic cable (ethernet cable with XLR adapter can do the trick.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue