Topic: New owner with strange ADI2 FS PRO BE behavior?

New owner here so appreciate your patience. Have gone through the 100+ page manual a dozen times but its clear, experience will add dramatically to my knowledge of how to use and appreciate all its flexibility.

My setup
A raspberry pi, usb output to the ADI2. I use jriver as my player. Within jriver i am running the parametric equalizer to smooth out room modes (measured with umik & REW). I run the output from the ADI2 to feed my desktop active/sub speakers.  Additionally, at times, i will also the aes output to feed my family room active/subs. My source is a large local file library and using jriver to stream amazon music.

Performance is supurb and works flawlessly playing, flac, hires , dsf, mp3 and wav music files. Never had an issue with any format or sample rate.

I purchased a matrix element s (streamer with digi output). Inserting the matrix for the raspberry pi and keeping everything else the same I am having problems playing any file that has a sr above 48k.

Here is what is strange
- at times the matrix/rme duo barf at a hi res song yet other times it plays that same song without issue
- it typically only barfs (stutters, drops out, stops etc) at 192k but once it barfs and until i reboot the rme, all other lower res songs that have played fine, now get the barfing action.
- I tried optical output (instead of usb) out from the matrix with no change.
- Clearly its a defective matrix, right?  no, not really becauase if i insert the matrix in another setup (matrix usb output to emotiva pre/pro) i have, all songs play flawlessly without problem ... even those that would not play with the matrix rme combo.

I have a file of 20secs of a 24/192k lou reed song i played on the rme/maxtrix combo and recorded on my phone. If i can attach it to my post i will so it will be clear what is happening.

I initially thought it was the matrix but it playing everything flawlessly in my other system says the matrix is likely not the problem. Then, I thought it was my setup of the rme that was at fault but if it plays perfectly through the pi, then that is likely not the problem.  Next i went to jriver and played around with the settings and found some definitions of my dlna servers were definitely capable of causing problems but once i fixed all those potential issues, i still have a matrix rme problem

The manual speaks of never enough dsp power which, at hires sample rates could be the cause is the only other thing i could think may be the cause. Other than that, i am out of ideas

The only reason for the matrix instead of the pi is i like its ability to show album art (my pi wont with jriver). While i would like that, its not critical so i am ready to send the matrix back and just use the pi. But hoping someone who is much smarter and knowledgeable of the rme might have some ideas on what i might be experiencing.

Thanks, in advance

Re: New owner with strange ADI2 FS PRO BE behavior?

Very interested in the resolution of this issue, since I seriously looking primarily at the RME DAC for its DSP capabilities.

It is odd unless you do have some equipment failure (source or DAC), one would not expect any difference in sources unless some overload situation perhaps in the DSP processing or some odd interactions.

My understanding per the manual, it that the display will show an Overload event.   But it is not clear to me that this might be only for levels- i.e not the DSP "overload" processing.  It is also not clear to me how one would know when the DSP is beyond it processing capabilites nor it affects the unit and resulting output.

BTE, are you using the Autoref feature?

Will be watching this thread hopefully for some quick resolution for you!

You are confused by the mention of DSP - it has nothing to do with this, and the manual describes the DSP limitations very clearly.

From the first post a more logical explanation would be that the USB Host implemented in the Matrix needs some fine-tuning and better compatibility/performance.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Circling back around to those who have responded or have interest, my solution was the path of least resistance. Due to the lack of clear problem identification and a closing return window on the matrix, i returned the unit back to the distributor and reverted back to using my rasppi