1 (edited by WillB 2023-07-07 18:58:39)

Topic: Analog In to Analog Out (Bypassing Digital Section)?

Is this possible?
Input through the analog XLR and staying in the analog domain, output to the analog XLRs.

Re: Analog In to Analog Out (Bypassing Digital Section)?

Not possible. But it is considered transparent. As I have no comparison, I can't tell, even I use my 2 pro as a preamp with a phono pre connected.

Cheers, Ernst

ADI-2 PRO FS R BE / ADI-2 DAC FS / some old multibit treasuers ;-)

3 (edited by ramses 2023-07-07 21:26:38)

WillB wrote:

Is this possible?
Input through the analog XLR and staying in the analog domain, output to the analog XLRs.

I remember from an older thread that this is only possible with the ADI-2 FS.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by WillB 2023-07-08 02:24:12)

Thanks for the replies and answer to my question. Too bad. I hoped for unity gain with volume control. I'll check out the ADI-2 FS.

5 (edited by KaiS 2023-07-08 06:45:52)

WillB wrote:

Thanks for the replies and answer to my question. Too bad. I hoped for unity gain with volume control. I'll check out the ADI-2 FS.

Set a high sample rate, like 192 kHz.

That’s the closest you can get to an analog signal path, but still benefits from the high resolution digital volume control that is superior to an analog potentiometer.

I do this when using the vinyl/phono input on ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

Until very recently I had a complicated setup with an ADI-2 DAC and a Benchmark headphone amp just so I could switch between a couple digital sources (USB and coax) and a phono preamp and between headphones and speakers. I liked the idea of keeping the phono signal path pure analog, but it was annoying having to switch inputs on two different devices plus the extra space, wiring, etc. of that setup.  Also some things about the Benchmark annoyed me, like the constant clicking of the relay-based volume control and the difficulty of something as simple as toggling between headphone and speaker outputs.

I just replaced the whole setup with an ADI-2/4 and now one small box does everything I need perfectly.  I had a brief moment of panic when it first seemed that it was only possible to send USB to the headphone 3/4 output, but then I discovered the DAC mode didn't have that limitation and worked just as I wanted.  That and the fact that the remote doesn't work out of the box (you need to push the right buttons to switch the code table) were a good way to ensure that I RTFM despite my previous experience with the ADI-2 DAC smile

The remote works out of the box unless this is an older stock unit with outdated firmware. Perform the latest firmware update and do a full reset as well (see readme).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by kanefsky 2023-07-09 19:33:39)

MC wrote:

The remote works out of the box unless this is an older stock unit with outdated firmware. Perform the latest firmware update and do a full reset as well (see readme).

It's a brand new unit I just received from B&H.  It had the latest USB firmware and I think the DSP firmware was one revision lower than the latest before I updated it.

The remote came preconfigured for the green code table to work with the ADI-2 DAC.  The manual even says that you need to reconfigure the remote to get it to work with the ADI-2/4 Pro:

RME ADI-2/4 Pro Manual wrote:

The included infrared remote control, manufactured exclusively for RME, offers an almost complete remote control in a clear way. It is pre-set to control the ADI-2 DAC. Pressing a button therefore causes the SEL(ect) LED to light up green. To control the ADI-2/4 Pro SE code table 3 needs to be activated so that the SEL LED lights up in red color.

Ah sorry, then I misunderstood. When we first shipped the ADI-2/4 the Remote was set to off in the unit's menu - different issue.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

WillB wrote:

If you use AD/DA mode you can use the digital volume control to adjust the levels. It's - to my ears - fully transparent even @44,1kHz.

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

fieldstu wrote:

...It's - to my ears - fully transparent even @44,1kHz.

I wouldn‘t completely sign on that - but going up from 88.2 kHz I don‘t hear any more improvements with higher SR’s.

I think the vinyl input on ADI-2/4 Pro SE gives a good measure, as you can start with a true analog source.

For feed-through nothing speaks against 192 kHz.
For recordings I suggest 96 kHz.