1 (edited by halloweenman 2023-07-26 08:07:36)

Topic: UFX II ESS or AKM

Does the current batch of UFX II use same AKM DAC chip as 802 FS?

I read rme switched to ESS in UFX II due to shortage of AKM chips but not sure if they've switched back to AKM?

If they are now AKM from what date/serial number? Thanks.

Re: UFX II ESS or AKM

Why not trying one of the Fetheads?

https://www.thomann.de/de/tritonaudio_preamps.html

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by halloweenman 2023-07-26 08:08:29)

Thanks ramses.

Also, does UCX II have AKM DAC chip? Thanks.

See information here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33222

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by halloweenman 2023-07-23 21:29:43)

Thanks ramses.

Disappointing to see the DAC chip differs to 802 FS, AKM show the AK4458 as automotive grade. I really like the sound of 802 FS, don't know if the UCX II would be a noticeable step down in sound quality?

halloweenman wrote:

Thanks ramses.

Disappointing to see the DAC chip differs to 802 FS, AKM show the AK4458 as automotive grade. I really like the sound of 802 FS, don't know if the UCX II would be a noticeable step down in sound quality?

What do you think automotive grade means? Hint, auto manufacturers have to design for harsh conditions and reliability far more than many other industries including audio equipment.  Have a look at IATF 16949 if you want gory details.

halloweenman wrote:

Thanks ramses.

I’ve never run out of preamp gain for my SM7B with the UCX II. 75db of gain on the UCX II is plenty for most applications.

MacBook Pro Max M1
32GB Ram, 2TB HD
UCX II & 802 FS via OWC Thunderbolt dock.
DAW - Logic

halloweenman wrote:

My 802 FS doesn't have enough preamp gain to handle SM7B so thinking of returning for UFX II.

Does the current batch of UFX II use same AKM DAC chip as 802 FS? I like the 802 FS DAC.

I read rme switched to ESS in UFX II due to shortage of AKM chips but not sure if they've switched back to AKM?

Really? Even my Fireface 400 has enough gain for my cheap MXL ribbon mics which have a very low output.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

9 (edited by halloweenman 2023-07-24 09:26:32)

oli77sch wrote:
halloweenman wrote:

My 802 FS doesn't have enough preamp gain to handle SM7B so thinking of returning for UFX II.

Does the current batch of UFX II use same AKM DAC chip as 802 FS? I like the 802 FS DAC.

Really? Even my Fireface 400 has enough gain for my cheap MXL ribbon mics which have a very low output.

Shure recommend more than 60 dB of gain for SM7B. The 802 FS has 60 db so might just be enough.

10 (edited by halloweenman 2023-07-24 08:46:01)

chrysalis99 wrote:
halloweenman wrote:

Thanks ramses.

I’ve never run out of preamp gain for my SM7B with the UCX II. 75db of gain on the UCX II is plenty for most applications.

Post referred to 802 FS not UCX II which has a lot more preamp gain available.

halloweenman wrote:
chrysalis99 wrote:
halloweenman wrote:

Thanks ramses.

Post referred to 802 FS not UCX II which has a lot more preamp gain available.

Yes I meant to quote the post where you said “could be the UCXII meets my needs”.

MacBook Pro Max M1
32GB Ram, 2TB HD
UCX II & 802 FS via OWC Thunderbolt dock.
DAW - Logic

Still curious to an answer for my original question. Are the current UFX II boards using ESS or AKM DAC chipset? Thanks.

AKM.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

14 (edited by halloweenman 2023-07-26 08:09:48)

MC wrote:

AKM.

Perfect. How do you know whether it's a new board with AKM?

You can't upfront, but later via the firmware version.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You can't upfront, but later via the firmware version.

Thanks. Last question, I promise. Am I correct in thinking if it has Hw Rev 7 firmware then it has the latest AKM chipset?

It has the latest analog board (with AKM).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Perfect, thank you.