Topic: Garage Band Recognizing Fireface UFX2 but Not Recording

Getting ready to record.   REQUEST -- Record not happening --- can someone please tell me how to get Garage Band to record from the RME? -- it worked fine before.  Although all the connections are right, it isn't recording.  It obviously recognizes the RME exists, because it lists RME for recording and output purposes. 

My set-up --- I'm sending  three XLR  inputs (for 3 mics)  into my RME Fireface UFX2, putting them into a stereo track, and taking it into Garage Band.  I have a Fireface UFX 2, with Totalmix set up on my 2018 MacBook Pro.  My three XLR mic inputs, were automatically assigned to  mic 9, 10, and 11.  The outputs, going out through USB, were assigned to outputs 13/14, as I wanted a stereo track for the output.   I set up the stereo recording track in Garage Band with inputs 13/14 from the RME (those outputs were automatically assigned by the RME device).

Phantom power is on, and I already tried rebooting the RME and the computer.   The Fireface levels display shows that all three mics are going into it properly and the stereo output level shows nicely on the RME. 

Thank you so much!!!!

Barbara

2 (edited by waedi 2023-07-23 23:45:20)

Re: Garage Band Recognizing Fireface UFX2 but Not Recording

Try different input channel numbers in Garage Band, 11/12 and 15/16
Sometimes DAWs channel numbers are different from the interface.

And check in MacOS - system preferences - security&privacy - Microphone - Totalmix : it should be enabled.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by oli77sch 2023-07-24 12:40:35)

Re: Garage Band Recognizing Fireface UFX2 but Not Recording

Are you sure you have loopback enabled on Totalmix hardware output 13/14?
Btw you also could record the three mics directly on separate mono tracks in Garageband and bounce the stereo mix from there. That would give you the possibility to create different mixes or change it later…
EDIT: I just read your post again and now I have the impression you mix some things up (or I completely misunderstand your setup). The hardware outputs in TotalMix do refer to the physical outputs (analog, ADAT…) on the interface, NOT to what is going over USB to the computer. If you want to record a sum of signals on one of these outputs, you have to enable loopback. The signals are then sent to the corresponding inputs, in your case channels 13/14. If you simply want to record the audio from the three mics on inputs 9, 10 and 11, you can create three mono audio tracks in Garageband and select this inputs.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2