1 (edited by m.chagneux 2023-07-18 10:02:53)

Topic: Loopback latency number of samples for RME Babyface ?

Hi all,

I have the RME Babyface (the 1st edition) and I'm trying to send audio from Ableton to Bitwig via the loopback option on 5 stereo i/o channels: the SPDIF and the four ADATs. I sync the DAWs with Ableton Link. I'm using a high buffer size (2048) because these are big projects. Using manual delay compensation in Ableton of -4092 samples (2x buffer size) I'm able to get very decent results, the sound coming is basically in sync with Bitwig's timeline and other tracks. To avoid artifacts as much as possible I was trying to find the exact number of samples that I should set, but it's hard to find exactly. I read somewhere that the loopback itself is not 0 latency but the number of samples it introduces is fixed and known ? If so, is there anywhere I can find these numbers ?

I'm kinda worried something more is going on though because when I try to send a click from Ableton to Bitwig there's a very slight shift / jitter of a dozen samples (maybe because of the DAWs inner delay compensations, or maybe because of Ableton Link?).

Thanks in advance,

Mathis

PS: just adding that I did try to understand the numbers from the manual but I don't really understand, somehow it says there's no delay at all, but also that there's a 3ms offset.

Re: Loopback latency number of samples for RME Babyface ?

The Totalmix internal loopback is no more than a few samples. You could measure it with a single impulse or so, but it's unlikely to ever be noticeable.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Re: Loopback latency number of samples for RME Babyface ?

Hi,

Ok, thank you for your answer. Ok, then I don't know what additional latency I'm seeing which is around ~30 samples.

Mathis