Topic: Connecting outboard gear to Fireface UCX

Hey team,

Quick connection question, hoping someone can answer and save me!

Wanting to connect my vocal chain to my Fireface UCX, currently going Mic > UA6176 channel strip > Fireface interface.

My question is, coming from the outboard compressor, which input do I use going into  the Fireface? making sure I bypass any internal preamps on the interface..is it XLR into Mic / line 1 on the front of the unit? Or do I need to use a balanced input on the back to bypass the internal pre amps?

Anyone who could help with this noob question would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Nick

Re: Connecting outboard gear to Fireface UCX

Front XLR input is good for this.
The Preamp comes alive when opening the input-gain
As long the gain is fully closed, then the Preamp is out of function.
There is no such bypass option.
The Line inputs on the backside are as good as other inputs.
Have you appropriate cables ? Use the input socket that fits to the cables.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by ramses 2023-07-27 06:24:57)

Re: Connecting outboard gear to Fireface UCX

Such devices work on line level (balanced connection) and need neither a microphone nor an instrument (Hi-Z) input. So why should you "sacrifice" inputs 1-4, which you might want to use as microphone and instrument inputs?

In this respect, I would suggest using the inputs 5+6 because to them there are (from the channel number) also suitable the outputs 5+6.

If analogue devices (compressors, FX, whatever) use inputs and outputs, it is recommended to bring a certain structure into the cabling. It makes sense to use inputs and outputs with the same channel number where possible.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13