Topic: Babyface Pro FS - Itunes Windows Audio Session playback issue

Hello,

I recently got a Babyface Pro FS and it has been solid so far. However there is one minor thing I have experienced with Itunes and its Windows Audio Session playback mode.

If I pause a track in Itunes, then change the buffer size in the Babyface/Fireface USB settings, then play the music again, it comes out sped up and heavily distorted (barely recognisable). If I then pause the music, change the buffer size back to what it was and then play the music again, it plays normally. Is this a known issue with Windows Audio Session or is my interface a lemon? I started using it last week so my driver is up to date (1.246) and hardware revision is 320. I have to note that this does not happen when using Direct Sound as the playback mode in Itunes.

I'm running Windows 10 x64, i9 10900K, 16GB RAM. I'm also using the Babyface plugged in with a USB 3 1m extension cable.

Hope somebody can help shed some light on this.

2 (edited by ramses 2023-07-27 14:19:24)

Re: Babyface Pro FS - Itunes Windows Audio Session playback issue

Audio applications usually do not support well the change in buffersize.
Only DAW like Cubase do this properly.
Simply stay with one buffersize and all is fine.

I'm not sure why you use iTunes, I would give MusicBee (and using the ASIO driver) a try, it has the better feature set.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by fresheyes 2023-07-28 00:14:15)

Re: Babyface Pro FS - Itunes Windows Audio Session playback issue

Thanks ramses, yeah I know about the fact that DAWs can handle buffer changes easily. Usually through the use of the ASIO driver. But for general listening applications, I was a bit surprised that this issue presented itself. Because as I mentioned, Direct Sound playback has no issues.

I only use Itunes as this is what I've always used since I was younger to organise my stuff and found no real reason to change. I will look into MusicBee though, being able to use ASIO sounds pretty good. Thanks.