1 (edited by SonicExplorer 2023-07-28 21:19:31)

Topic: Power Supply Replacement - Linear vs. Switching?

Hello,

The OEM external power supply to my FF400 gave up the ghost so I need a replacement.  I'm wondering if anybody knows whether it matters if the replacement supply can be switching (SMPS) or should I stay with linear??  I'm asking in terms of stability/safety for the FF400 as well as any potential noise being introduced into the audio.

Anybody know if it matters which type of supply is used??  Most of the inexpensive online adapters seem to be switching types, seems the old style linear supplies are going more to the wayside these days...

Sonic

Re: Power Supply Replacement - Linear vs. Switching?

Get the original RME part for this unit and all will be fine. The devices reach the specs with it.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

The OEM supply is really expensive, arguably at least 5 times more costly than it needs to be.  OEM does not mean better, many OEM electronic accessories are inferior.  In fact , my current OEM supply failed because of bad/cheap capacitors (that later became known industry-wide as problematic in many types of electronic equipment).

Anyway, back on topic to the main question - does it matter whether linear or switching supply types are used with the FF400 ?

Sonic

4 (edited by ramses 2023-07-28 23:05:12)

> does it matter whether linear or switching supply types are used with the FF400 ?

There are different opinions on that matter.
I see it pragmatic, using the normal PSU is less expensive and the devices reach the specs with it.
With linear PSU, if they are not manufactured right, I heard that there is a good chance to damage a device.
Alone for this reason I would be careful not to chase shadows for most likely no reason and to raise the risk to damage something.

But not to trap into discussions I tried to formulate it gently that the devices reach their promised specs with the default PSU.

If you want an original part or not is your choice.
I see it again pragmatic, with original parts the likeliness to damage something should be smaller.
With more cheaper PSU you can also have bad luck, too cheap is quite often not good.
And if you want to sell the unit later, it always looks better if you sell with original parts.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

The original is SMPS (more than obvious, IMHO). The price varies a bit depending on where it is bought. Any SMPS with same specs can be used, though.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by SonicExplorer 2023-07-31 13:09:44)

MC wrote:

The original is SMPS (more than obvious, IMHO). The price varies a bit depending on where it is bought. Any SMPS with same specs can be used, though.

I've noticed the majority of consumer 12V table-top supplies sold online are marketed as LED drivers.  They are much less expensive than the RME supply.  Are there any known drawbacks or reasons these power supplies marketed as LED drivers should be avoided ?

Does the degree of consistent & clean the power going into the RME dictate how much stress is put on the power circuitry inside the RME?   Asked another way, capacitors are a known aspect that can fail inside older RME Fireface units, so does the strain placed on these components depend on the type of external supply used??  Other than 12v/2A (min) are there other specifications that should be sough or avoided?

Sonic