Topic: Connecting to AES Input: Fireface UFX+ will not Sync internally.

I connected a digital mixer AES Output to the AES Input of the UFX+.
The AES light continuously blinks.
If I change the clock source from internal to AES, then the blinking stops.

I do not want to make the Mixer the Clock source, instead I want the UFX to be the clock source.

Perhaps I need to connect a work clock from the Mixer's clock input to the RME Clock output and change the the clock source to word?

I am a bit confused.

Thanks guy!

Re: Connecting to AES Input: Fireface UFX+ will not Sync internally.

Hello!

AudioFreq wrote:

Perhaps I need to connect a work clock from the Mixer's clock input to the RME Clock output and change the the clock source to word?

Yes!

Or if the mixer has an AES Input, you can connect another cable from UFX+ AES Out to that input,
and set the Clock Source of the Mixer to "AES In" and UFX+ to "Internal".

Clock Info through Digital connections can be read only on the Input side!
So, in your situation: UFX+ reads the Clock info on its Input, but it cannot send any Clock info to your mixer through that!
That 's why you need another AES cable from the UFX+ Output to your mixer's Input. So that your mixer can read the Clock info on its own Input!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Or if the mixer has an AES Input, you can connect another cable from UFX+ AES Out to that input,
and set the Clock Source of the Mixer to "AES In" and UFX+ to "Internal".

Clock Info through Digital connections can be read only on the Input side!
So, in your situation: UFX+ reads the Clock info on its Input, but it cannot send any Clock info to your mixer through that!
That 's why you need another AES cable from the UFX+ Output to your mixer's Input. So that your mixer can read the Clock info on its own Input!

Thanks, my friend:
What I ended up doing was connecting a Word Clock cable from the UFX+ Clock output to the Mixer Clock input.
Then I set the Mixer to clock source "Word" and then UFX+ to internal.

I could have used another AES cable, but I did not have one. smile

Works perfectly.

4 (edited by ramses 2023-07-29 16:36:42)

I read somewhere that at (if I remember right) shorter distances you can also use a normal Mic/XLR cable instead of 110 Ohm AES/digital cable. I just wanted to mention it, if something like this could be needed for a test in the future. But nice that you have a solution now that works for you.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Short XLR cables are O.K. Patch cables, 0,5 - 1,0 m long. Just using ca 1 m long to connect ADI-2 Pro and RayDAT. Not single glitch.

Michal

---
Michal Skopik
audioarchivist
Straznice/Czech Republik