Topic: Can't Hear FX

Hi, I hope you're well. I've been monitoring with FX in TMFX but recently I stopped being able to hear the reverb and delay and I'm not sure why. I think it coincided with me trying to route the FX into reaper while recording. If I remember correctly, that failed but now my FXin shows levels but FXout doesn't. The return level is up on my headphone out and the sends are up on my inputs (1,3). Can you help, please? Thanks.

Re: Can't Hear FX

Hi
Maybe you simply pushed the fx on/off button?

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

oli77sch wrote:

Hi

You mean the round circles that say On for each effect? No I definitely tested those. Do you know any other reason the FX modules would get signal but not output anything? I have their volumes up to +6dB.

Hexspa wrote:
oli77sch wrote:

Hi

You mean the round circles that say On for each effect? No I definitely tested those. Do you know any other reason the FX modules would get signal but not output anything? I have their volumes up to +6dB.

Can you post a screenshot? TotalMix window with the open fx section.

Yes a screen shot would be useful. You have to turn up the fx on the channel and output channel to hear it as well as having the fx enabled.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

6 (edited by Hexspa 2023-06-08 12:39:43)

Ok, for some reason the fx are now working. I power cycled the babyface. Now I have a new issue: panning a signal left or right does not totally remove it from the other channel. For example, here's a stereo source (pink noise on youtube) https://youtu.be/8SHf6wmX5MU

If I pan that to the right, I can still hear signal in the left with my earbuds and vice versa. It's not my cable because I tried both 1/4" and 1/8" inputs with and without my extension cable (just thought let me check another pair of headphones, EDIT: it's with both my earbuds and a separate pair of headphones). This is persisting across power cycles. Is this normal? The meter on Phones 1 shows UFL.

This screenshot isn't showing that behavior because I don't think you can see it; you'd have to listen to my headphones. Here's a look anyway. I know the FX are off but that's because the FX are now working. This issue is not due to FX being on, I don't think because it happens even when they're off and the sends/returns are down.

Should I start another thread? I understand that this is some kind of crosstalk but to me it seems that I should not be able to hear -130dB levels. Also, I haven't noticed this until today; coincidentally when my fx started working again.

I know that this is likely user error/wrong expectations with an off chance I'm going crazy or that my Babyface is broken somehow (+4dB disappeared as an option for lines 3/4 input levels when Boost first showed up, I'm pretty sure). Either way, I want to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks for your help

https://imgur.com/a/j0Bd7nD

Driver version, firmware version, TM FX version.

And try a Total Reset in TM FX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by Hexspa 2023-06-09 11:01:53)

MC wrote:

Driver version, firmware version, TM FX version.

And try a Total Reset in TM FX.

Hi, MC. Thanks for your reply.

I tried a total reset but I can still hear signal in my left earbud when panning a signal with roughly -8dB peaks (in TMFX at headphone output) 100% to the right. This happens whether I pan from the source (reaper), software playback channel or output strip. All meters show silence or UFL in the left channel after panning.

Driver date: 23.05.23
Driver Version: 1.245
Hardware Revision 203
TMFX Version: 1.83

Like I was saying, I'm listening to a mix of pink noise and rain that has an integrated loudness of around -30LUFS and peaks around -8dB (high Peak-to-Loudness Ratio because rain is spiky). If I turn the headphone output down by 20dB, I can't hear anything but that's just threshold of audibility. When comparing it to the other side that has full signal, I have to drop the headphone output fader until the meter reads -60dB (fader to -45dB) or so to get an equivalent loudness as the left channel. I guess this means that I'm getting about 45dB of attenuation with the pan pots but definitely not total attenuation.

Not sure if it matters but I also have a ground loop issue with my computer and speakers. I tried all the different outlets but still not dice. Not sure if I can isolate the audio ground anyway since babyface is powered by the computer.

Thanks for your help. Looking forward to resolving this!

9 (edited by Hexspa 2023-06-09 21:40:18)

The FX got randomly muted again. It's so weird. I toggled them and moved the send and return levels up and down and they came back online. It's as though they were sleeping or something.

I just took a screenshot now that they're working. Next time they're apparently not working I'll screenshot again and then compare.

Pretty much what happens is the FX Out level stays at zero. This is with the FX on. Actually, I can't replicate it by not lowering the send and return faders because then there would be no input either. In this case I'm experiencing, there is input signal but no output signal. It's as though the FX are off even when they're on (when this occurs). Interestingly, when I enable the FX, the global FX cpu meter stays at zero also (DSP usage meter). It shows activity when I use EQ. I'm not sure if it's supposed to indicate use when the FX are active or perhaps they're so lightweight it doesn't register.

Here's another interesting point: the top title bar says "RME TotalMix FX: Babyface Pro (2)..." I don't know why it says that because I only have one. I remember reading that title bar before and having it say (1).

I know this seems like I'm drunk or something but, no. Overworked if anything but seriously I think my babyface is haunted.

Just to add more info, I recently installed Equalizer APO and Ear Trumpet. Maybe there's a known conflict or something.

Thanks.

10 (edited by oli77sch 2023-06-09 21:54:24)

Hexspa wrote:

The FX got randomly muted again. It's so weird. I toggled them and moved the send and return levels up and down and they came back online. It's as though they were sleeping or something.

I just took a screenshot now that they're working. Next time they're apparently not working I'll screenshot again and then compare.

Pretty much what happens is the FX Out level stays at zero. This is with the FX on. Actually, I can't replicate it by not lowering the send and return faders because then there would be no input either. In this case I'm experiencing, there is input signal but no output signal. It's as though the FX are off even when they're on (when this occurs). Interestingly, when I enable the FX, the global FX cpu meter stays at zero also (DSP usage meter). It shows activity when I use EQ. I'm not sure if it's supposed to indicate use when the FX are active or perhaps they're so lightweight it doesn't register.

Thanks.

It’s interesting to know, the reverb and echo fx on the Babyface pro (unlike on other models) are processed on the computer cpu, not on the internal dsp. For this there are two additional hidden channels per direction (i/o no. 13/14). So I can imagine there could be different reasons for the issue (the one concerning the efx) also related to the computer / Windows version / driver versions. For example the hidden channels are disabled somewhere for whatever reasons…

11 (edited by Hexspa 2023-06-10 12:18:35)

oli77sch wrote:
Hexspa wrote:

Thanks.

It’s interesting to know, the reverb and echo fx on the Babyface pro (unlike on other models) are processed on the computer cpu, not on the internal dsp. For this there are two additional hidden channels per direction (i/o no. 13/14). So I can imagine there could be different reasons for the issue (the one concerning the efx) also related to the computer / Windows version / driver versions. For example the hidden channels are disabled somewhere for whatever reasons…

That's interesting. Yeah, like I said there might be a conflict with EQAPO or Ear Trumpet. Also, I experienced an issue where the Fireface USB icon (usually in the system tray) was disappearing. After the recent Windows update, I have not seen this occur again. Based on my time with Windows 11, I would not put any and all issues past this OS for being responsible.

But blaming Microsoft doesn't help me here, sadly. If I can get a confirmation from RME that it is Windows' fault, I'll gladly submit a report through their Feedback Hub. I still haven't ruled out user error either. But that's for the FX issue and besides the crosstalk issue I'm experiencing.

What I can add here is that I also get a significant lag with the Windows taskbar when using the RMB Recent Files list function when using a Contrast Theme. I'm talking a 3-second delay to see my recent text documents in Notepad - totally unacceptable. If the FX are dependent on related or similarly-performing code then that's probably it. Because, like I said, it's as though the FX are sleeping when I notice this issue.

Thanks.

Can anyone confirm that they can hear level on the opposite side of a panned channel in TMFX with a BFPFS? The level of the signal needs to be relatively high, maybe 10-20dB louder than you'd normally listen. I just want to know if it's just me, whether there will be a fix, or it's normal. In my estimation, it's not normal but I'd like an update if possible. Thanks.

Hexspa wrote:

Can anyone confirm that they can hear level on the opposite side of a panned channel in TMFX with a BFPFS? The level of the signal needs to be relatively high, maybe 10-20dB louder than you'd normally listen. I just want to know if it's just me, whether there will be a fix, or it's normal. In my estimation, it's not normal but I'd like an update if possible. Thanks.

Just did some tests:
1: music files from Mac Finder or Apple Music, behavior like you describe. At least for sure with my Sennheiser earbuds (it's very difficult to test it with my other headphones, AT-M40x and Beyer 770)
2: two synth tracks in Logic pro, panned in the DAW already to hard L and R. I can't hear the left one when I pan hard right in TotalMix but I can hear the right one in the left earbud. So what does that tell? When I'm thinking right, it only can be a hardware thing, am I right?
3: same behavior on the integrated hp out on my Macbook pro (very old model - 2012...), so it's likely an issue with my earbuds

oli77sch wrote:
Hexspa wrote:

Just did some tests:
1: music files from Mac Finder or Apple Music, behavior like you describe. At least for sure with my Sennheiser earbuds (it's very difficult to test it with my other headphones, AT-M40x and Beyer 770)
2: two synth tracks in Logic pro, panned in the DAW already to hard L and R. I can't hear the left one when I pan hard right in TotalMix but I can hear the right one in the left earbud. So what does that tell? When I'm thinking right, it only can be a hardware thing, am I right?
3: same behavior on the integrated hp out on my Macbook pro (very old model - 2012...), so it's likely an issue with my earbuds

Awesome, thanks for checking. Actually, I did not check the which channel is appearing in the attenuated channel; I just noticed there was a signal but maybe I can check later. You’re right though, it’s most noticeable with earbuds and only then with the levels a bit higher than normal. For these reasons, it’s not a show-stopper but I think the ideal behavior is silence in the channel which is panned away from. Thanks again.

Having it also on Macbook hp out, it’s simply crosstalk on my earbuds I think. And I even don’t have to lift the levels that high to be able to hear it!

Crosstalk on earbuds can be really bad due to cable quality. If possible exchange that one.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Crosstalk on earbuds can be really bad due to cable quality. If possible exchange that one.

Ok, I see. I didn’t know this was an issue but I appreciate the responses from both of you. Thanks.

Hi, just want to update this thread to say I haven't experienced this issue of having no output on the FX again. I don't know what caused it, whether I was imagining it or why it changed if it did happen. Oh well, it's been six weeks and no issue so it's probably fine. Thanks - I appreciate RME's responsive community and leadership.