1 (edited by sir_bass 2023-08-03 16:01:29)

Topic: Latency with external A/D devices via adat - recommendation?

Hi there,

i have a Fireface 400 and a Babyface Pro and like to add external Mic Pre's via adat.
Tested it with a Behringer ADA8200 & FF400 and noticed a difference in Latency between the internal and external Channels.

I know, this is normal. But - is there a better/perfect match to either of theese two in terms of A/D latency, like the Octamic e.G.?

Best regards

Win 7 64bit on Samsung Nvme, i 6700 4Ghz, 16GB Ram, Cubase 6.5

2 (edited by vinark 2023-08-03 16:28:25)

Re: Latency with external A/D devices via adat - recommendation?

The only way I know of is to get identical external adda. So for example a digitale usb with 4 behringers. If that is not possible make sure that phase related channels, like stereo pairs or overheads or maybe a whole drum kit go to the same converter. Except for phase issues, de latency is to small to be noticable and also easily corrected.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Hi Vinark,

thank you, so you'd suggest to not looking for the perfect match rather than be careful with the groups (stereochannel, drums etc.) passing just one device.

Win 7 64bit on Samsung Nvme, i 6700 4Ghz, 16GB Ram, Cubase 6.5

4 (edited by ramses 2023-08-04 14:05:51)

The latency compensation of the (ASIO) driver only covers AD/DA converter of the recording interface.
Only for those the values are known, not what you connect behind ADAT or MADI.
But I would guess that the latency compensation will be the same for all I/O ports also over ADAT.
So, depending on how fast the converters of the connected Preamp or AD/DA converter are it could be the same, less or more latency compared to the converters of the recording interface.

The ADAT connection itself introduces only a very low latency, maybe only a few samples at single speed.

For MADI its for example 3 samples pro device at single speed, which is documented in the manual of MADI devices.

But what are a few samples ... less than the distance between your ear to the sound hole of your guitar.
I made some calculations in another thread.

If you want to know exactly, there are tools to measure it.
Connect analog input with analog output
a) on the main interface
b) on the connected converter
and compare ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

sir_bass wrote:

Hi Vinark,

thank you, so you'd suggest to not looking for the perfect match rather than be careful with the groups (stereochannel, drums etc.) passing just one device.

exactly! there is no perfect match,except for identical parallel devices.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

It's easy to compensate for the difference in your DAW.... But unless you record and mix identical signals through different converters, you won't likely notice anything.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME