1 (edited by jeanpierrelouis 2023-07-31 23:30:53)

Topic: Babyface problems

Hi everyone,

I just got my babyface and I was so excited to plug it in and have listen but I am unable to use it. I have a Mac mini m1, macOs Ventura 13.4.1 version. I installed the newest driver and when I try to update the firmware, nothing happens. I have tried the "Remove the cable, hold Select and Recall button down, plug-in the USB cable. " as mentioned above, but still nothing happens when I click on update.i also do not get any signal when start playing something on the computer with the babyface as the chosen output even though it shows yup as UNA USB audio in the system. can anyone help? Please.

2 (edited by waedi 2023-08-01 01:35:44)

Re: Babyface problems

The FUT needs a working driver.
Install this driver :
https://rme-audio.de/downloads/driver_usb_mac_328b2.zip
You have to delete Totalmix and Fireface settings from the Applications folder manually before start the installer.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

I have done that but the Flash tool is still not updating the firmware.I wanted to upload a picture but I am having problems with that as well.I don't know what I am doing wrong. right now the firmware states v204 and the new Revision is 226. Programming Status Not updated. Driver: v3.28.8

Also when I open Total Mix, I don't see the mixer at all. And when I click on New Total Mix Window, the place to chose a device does not show any device.

Sure your Babyface is not set to CC-mode ?

5 (edited by jeanpierrelouis 2023-08-01 10:20:24)

Honestly, I don't know... I did what was mentioned above but every time I plug the usb back to the device, the LED's show up red... it has been like this before I unplugged and pressed the "Select and Recall" button's before reconnecting the usb cable and after.

When I tried it again 30 minutes ago, there was one difference to yesterday night, which was the left and right LED raw blicking and the mid LED standing at IN once I plugged the usb cable back on.

6 (edited by waedi 2023-08-01 10:39:05)

Don't you see a PC or CC from the LEDs ?
Press and hold the buttoms SELECT and DIM during power-up.
Check Totalmix and the. Fireface Settings dialog.
When these are working the FUT should work.

waedi wrote:

Don't you see a PC or CC from the LEDs ?
Press and hold the buttoms SELECT and DIM during power-up.

No, that’s only like this on Babyface pro (FS) models, original Babyface behaves different!

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

8 (edited by oli77sch 2023-08-01 11:12:25)

jeanpierrelouis wrote:

I have done that but the Flash tool is still not updating the firmware.I wanted to upload a picture but I am having problems with that as well.I don't know what I am doing wrong. right now the firmware states v204 and the new Revision is 226. Programming Status Not updated. Driver: v3.28.8

Also when I open Total Mix, I don't see the mixer at all. And when I click on New Total Mix Window, the place to chose a device does not show any device.

Only to be sure: have you done the whole procedure with reduced security setting  after booting your Mac in recovery mode and allowing the RME driver in macOS security/privacy system settings after the installation?

9 (edited by waedi 2023-08-01 11:45:09)

From the user manual :
Activation of the Class Compliant mode: Hold down the Select and Recall button while the Babyface boots. So press both buttons while connecting the Babyface to USB buspower. The level meters will run up, confirming CC mode is activated. The Babyface stays in CC mode until this procedure is repeated. With only one LED on left and right side lit during power-on, the Babyface is in normal mode.

This unit is in CC-mode ! (It looks like there is loud music full power.)
Perform the change into normal-mode.

10 (edited by jeanpierrelouis 2023-08-01 13:39:24)

I tried it again.. this is now what I getting.. I hop the pictures got uploaded. Working while still trying to get this fixed.. so I am very sorry for the late replies.

I only gettin the left raw LED with one orange LED to appear.

Now when I try opening the flash tool, noting happens. the app just doesn't open.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is 30 minutes later and after restarting the computer for the 5 times, the babyface is now appearing in the os system as a device. sound is also working but now, the flash tool and the Fireface app are not starting anymore when I try to open them.i am also having this one orange led on the led side of the level led's to not turn off. it is staying and while this is on I have not been able to start those two apps now. which worked before when it was off, with the difference that interface was not reconized by the system.

11 (edited by oli77sch 2023-08-01 15:29:40)

How do you have the Babyface powered, over a single USB connection only? Or using the dual USB cable or even with a separate power adapter?
The not working settings and Totalmix apps could simply be caused thru the class compliant mode. To me it's still unclear if your unit is set to native driver mode or not.

using both usb. I thought this was the right way to go. the problem is, I received the babyface as a present by very good friend of the family. I am in egypt and a friend Brough the device with him a month after it was purchased. received the device yesterday without the manual. should I just plug in one of the usb cables?

Dual USB is fine to be sure to have enough power for the Babyface. I asked before because sometimes there are issues caused by lack of power. you can download the manual (PDF) here:
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/bface_e.pdf
Again my question: did you follow the driver installation instructions on the RME website properly?

14 (edited by jeanpierrelouis 2023-08-01 20:30:31)

Yes I did. And have now managed to get it running so that I can get sound of the computer. But I have not been able still to update the firmware because I have not been able to open the flea tool anymore. But thank you for the Link to the manual. I have the feeling the headphones are not working as no signal comes out when I select the phone out put.

Ok.. I have redone everything again. I shut down my system and while restarting the system pressed the power button until I saw the recovery mode. Went to Startup Security Utility and enabled the kernel extensions from the security policy. restarted the system.  Installed the driver "driver_usb_mac_328b2" , unplugged the usb cable from the babyface. before reconnecting it, pressed the "select and Recall button" system recognizes the babyface with one led staying on as mentioned in the manual "If the Babyface starts correctly the lowest green LED in the left band will flash, the In LED is con- stantly lit, the lowest one in the right band too." only difference, I only one led on the left constantly lit orange not green, and the right is not on at all. but at least the system recognizes the device. But when I try to open the Fireface or the flesh tool app, nothing happens. both do not open. When I redo the unplug usb and the pressing of the select and recall button again, system does stops  recognizing the babyface, the orange led stops being on. but I am able to open both apps without being able to update the firmware on the flesh tool. I am confused. Either device is recognized but firmware update app does not work anymore or it does not being recognize and I am able to open the firmware update app without being able to update.

also I don't know what I am doing when the device is functioning... I am able to get the sound out of the main outputs. but headphone out on the bus or on the device do not have signal coming out. like said I can hear the main output but on Total Mix I do not see a signal when it comes to the software outputs. There is just nothing. Am I missing something here? I am getting to the point that I am starting to regret this present. I was thinking to get myself the SSL audio devices but because I have the firewire 400 12 years ago a friend of the family got me this one. I am not having the same great experience like I had with products form RME 12 years ago here...

17 (edited by oli77sch 2023-08-01 22:16:35)

Do you also have allowed the RME driver in macOS system settings --> security and privacy?

With the pressed buttons while powering you switch between native driver mode and class compliant mode. Class compliant mode means, no special driver from RME is needed, so the unit works so far. But Totalmix and RME settings app are not working in this mode. Because the main out are channel numbers 1&2, the playback is routed there by default I guess. That’s why you have sound there but not on headphone output which is channel 3/4 (stereo).
Switching to native driver mode means, the unit now needs the driver. As long there are issues with it, of course the unit doesn’t work.

18 (edited by waedi 2023-08-02 06:14:29)

Step-by-step instruction if you need :

Computer is ON
USB cable is connected to the computer but not to the Babyface
Babyface in front of you, not connected
Push and hold the two lower buttons RECAL and SELECT
Plug in the USB cable
Still holding the buttons for 5 seconds
Hands off Babyface release the buttons
Disconnect Babyface from USB cable
wait 3 seconds
Reconnect the Babyface to the USB cable, no buttons touched
Open the two applications in the computer
- Totalmix
- Fireface USB Settings Dialog
Run the FUT

19 (edited by jeanpierrelouis 2023-08-02 06:45:27)

Got it.. I got it running!

to everybody, sorry for wasting all your time and I truly appreciate for all the help. On this explaination here https://rme-audio.de/rme-macos.html) it states at point number 4. Before the reboot for finishing the driver installation open System Preferences, Security & Privacy, tab General. There should be a grey „Allow“ button in the right lower area. Click the unlock symbol first, then confirm using the RME GmbH kernel extension."

I was doing the restart after pressing the "Allow button". Did it this time before restarting. After the system rebooted, everything started working and I was able to update the firmware as well.

Now I am not sure if I should install the latest driver. I installed driver_usb_mac_328b2 but there is a newer version driver_usbdk_mac_4082. Considering it took me two days to get this thing running I am a bit unsure if I should take that risk... any advice?

Also, I received yesterday a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 which has ADAT in and out. I was thinking i should be able to connect it to the babyface and extend the I/0 right? The person who gave it to me said it does not have any firmware updates but I should be able to use it as a slave to the babyface without having to connect it to the computer... is my thinking wrong?

Glad to hear you solved it.
Driver installation on Mac is a tricky thing this days, it was a bit simpler some years ago without all this security stuff…

Since you have the Babyface on current firmware v226 now, it’s possible to use the 'driverkit' driver v4.08. It’s a new generation of driver which isn’t installed that 'deep' into macOS like the kernel extension driver v3.28, for this it doesn’t need the reduced security (but still it has to be allowed in macOS settings). But there’s nothing wrong with the version you have now, no need to switch to v4.08 at the moment in my opinion. Some users are reporting issues (audio glitches) with v4.08 on Apple M1/M2 computers, but many others (like myself) don’t have such.

If the Saffire Pro 40 has a standalone mode with the possibility to store routings (analog in to ADAT out and vice versa), then it would be possible to use it as an extension unit. You can search for the manual and find it out (or wait for someone chiming in here knowing more about the Saffire).

I think you would be better asking on a focusrite forum what the saffire is capable of and as above check out the manual. It may need a computer connection to set it up which may be awkward as it’s FireWire.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

22 (edited by ramses 2023-08-02 08:46:17)

oli77sch wrote:

If the Saffire Pro 40 has a standalone mode with the possibility to store routings (analog in to ADAT out and vice versa), then it would be possible to use it as an extension unit. You can search for the manual and find it out (or wait for someone chiming in here knowing more about the Saffire).

There is also another possibility.

It should be possible to fully install the Saffire Pro 40 with driver and management software, you need it anyway at least one time to configure the necessary settings and the routing.

Then I would keep the Saffire Pro 40 connected for a while this way because then it is still fully manageable.

Once you are confident, that you can live with the static settings, look how you can store this permanently into the Saffire Pro (it might remember last settings, not sure, check manual).
Then remove the Firewire cable if both devices are turned off.
Firewire 400 plugs can destroy electronic during plugging/unplugging if the plug tilted / not pulled straight (without "angle").

In the DAW or in audio programs, simply load the RME driver and all is fine, the Saffire driver will not disturb.
Under Windows, check, that the Windows default audio device is pointing to the correct RME WDM device.

The same should be possible under Apple.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Ok... this will be a bit of a problem as the firewire cable was not included. Will now have to find the place here in Egypt where I can buy one of those and try it out. Wish me luck.

To all of you, thanks again. I really appreciate it. I have been going through a hard time and got the babyface as a gift from husband of my sister. I haven't been on these forums for a while, but it just made me realize how much I missed this and the community.

Will see what I can do with the Saffire, but I am already very happy with the Babyface. thanks everyone.

If you just connect the focusrite with 2 optical cables it could just work. If not then we will investigate.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

If you just connect the focusrite with 2 optical cables it could just work. If not then we will investigate.

To my knowledge it isn’t that simple with the Saffire - sadly. Not every device is designed as the Motu 8pre which has two working modes (as interface when connected to a computer, as ADDA converter without USB or FireWire plugged in).

It has the last mix setup stored, so if lucky, it has the inputs routed to adat out. Only way to find out is to try.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

did connect it today after I got the optical cable... does not seem to work. no signal is coming out. found also the firewire cable on amazon but have to order an adaptor from firewire to usb from outside of the country. Will arrive in 3 weeks.

But I just started using Total Mix today and I am still not seeing the physical output for the headphones. I can see AN 1/2, and then I have the optical AS 1/2, ADAT 3/4,  ADAT 5/6, ADAT 7/8

Why is PH 3/4 not shown in the Hardware Output section but on the only on the Software Playback?

A screen shot would really help here so we can see what you see. By the way which Babyface do you have. Original, pro or pro fs?

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

29 (edited by oli77sch 2023-08-03 07:26:10)

jeanpierrelouis wrote:

did connect it today after I got the optical cable... does not seem to work. no signal is coming out. found also the firewire cable on amazon but have to order an adaptor from firewire to usb from outside of the country. Will arrive in 3 weeks.

FireWire to USB is absolutely impossible, this are totally different data transmission protocols. What you maybe mean is FireWire to Thunderbolt? Thunderbolt 3 and 4 are using the USB-C plug. But it only works with a Thunderbolt port, marked with the flash arrow symbol.
(form factor is the same, but not the technology behind).
I use sometimes a Fireface400 on a Thunderbolt 3 port of my M1 Mac. For this I have the two original Apple adapters, FW to TB2 and TB2 to TB3. That works absolutely fine. With cheap adapters you could run into issues.

jeanpierrelouis wrote:

But I just started using Total Mix today and I am still not seeing the physical output for the headphones. I can see AN 1/2, and then I have the optical AS 1/2, ADAT 3/4,  ADAT 5/6, ADAT 7/8

Why is PH 3/4 not shown in the Hardware Output section but on the only on the Software Playback?

Because it’s assigned to main output on bottom right. Every output stereo pair can be assigned. Its 'normal' channel strip then disappears and the particular channels are controlled over the 'main' fader (and further functions). You can click on the 'assign' button beside the main fader and select 'none' for all the options (headphones, main…), then you will have all the hardware outputs in the bottom row.
I highly recommend to read the manual. A lot to read, but it’s worth …

30 (edited by R1c0c0 2023-08-04 19:11:26)

need help for win 11 too... can't make my brand new babyface fs work

yes all ran as admin
running fut does nothing only showing version numbers
installing the driver itself does nothing
totalmix remote is keep looking for remote connections can't even access the mixer
digicheck working

all software is installed that is currently available for babyface fs from rme website

tried all troubleshooting options pc still can't recognise my device it's not showing in device manager either

yes the device is in pc mode

tried all ports with all cables with device in every possible combination

shut down/restart pc

what's pissing me off the most is that i wanted to make music all weekend with my new interface and headphones and all i can do is stare at my new stuff until there's an overcomplicated fix i hardly believe they will update the drivers over the weekend...

TotalMix Remote is a remote control app, meant to be used on a different computer on your network. It is not useful here.

If the Babyface is not detected in the Device Manager then there is a physical connection issue with USB. Even with no driver it would appear there.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

32 (edited by R1c0c0 2023-08-05 16:28:22)

Jeff wrote:

TotalMix Remote is a remote control app, meant to be used on a different computer on your network. It is not useful here.

If the Babyface is not detected in the Device Manager then there is a physical connection issue with USB. Even with no driver it would appear there.

alright so managed to make my pc recognise the device by simply plugging my pc out the wall socket..............

flash updater worked updated to 320

totalmix and babyface meters getting signals (shown on meter) all faders turned up to 0 dB however there's no sound coming out of my ndh30s (using 1/4'' headphone connection (i don't have speakers)) of course phones selected for volume control 'basic' setup is used for totalmix this shouldn't be an issue.

Checked windows sound settings Speakers - RME babyface is selected (other outs still no sound) went to check the device properties for 'Speakers RME babyface' the Jack section says : No jack information available. Is that normal ?

Currently using usb-a cable in the same port i left it in yesterday. This is seriously tiring.

R1c0c0 wrote:

… however there's no sound coming out of my ndh30s (using 1/4'' headphone connection (i don't have speakers)) of course phones selected for volume control 'basic' setup is used for totalmix this shouldn't be an issue.

Ok, but do you have also the software playback fader raised up?

oli77sch wrote:
R1c0c0 wrote:

… however there's no sound coming out of my ndh30s (using 1/4'' headphone connection (i don't have speakers)) of course phones selected for volume control 'basic' setup is used for totalmix this shouldn't be an issue.

Ok, but do you have also the software playback fader raised up?

all set to 0 dB

35 (edited by waedi 2023-08-05 16:59:40)

all set to 0 means nothing.
You have to click the Phones hardware output channel then see the faders.
Is the software playback channel fader really pulled up to zero ?
May be the faders are all up to zero when the Main-out was clicked active.
But now you want music routing to the headphone output, pull up all desired faders again. This is another submix.

waedi wrote:

all set to 0 means nothing.
You have to click the Phones hardware output channel then see the faders.
Is the software playback channel fader really pulled up to zero ?
May be the faders are all up to zero when the Main-out was clicked active.
But now you want music routing to the headphone output, pull up all desired faders again. This is another submix.

Everything is really pulled up to zero there's no rocket science in routing a device to make sound... I have noticed that the phones are a different submix I added one in control room  just in case and set it to 0dB also for software, hardware playback. Even tried to route 'speaker B' to headphones. Like I said the meters are showing that there's signal going through the channels but no actual sound from the headphones. I played around with 'assign' no luck.

'May be the faders are all up to zero when the Main-out was clicked active.' Not sure about what this means. By default the device should make sound through the main out if the correct physical connections are used. I don't understand what I'm missing here.

"Clicked active" means you click onto a hardware output channel and this becomes highlighted, it is activated for receiving signals from the input channels or from the software playback channels, a submix.
Also check the headphone plug, is it plugged into the headphone socket or to the instrument input socket next to it by mistake.
This happend to me and I got crazy.

waedi wrote:

"Clicked active" means you click onto a hardware output channel and this becomes highlighted, it is activated for receiving signals from the input channels or from the software playback channels, a submix.
Also check the headphone plug, is it plugged into the headphone socket or to the instrument input socket next to it by mistake.
This happend to me and I got crazy.

I have noticed that too when clicking on each channel and I always had to double click to bring software/hardware channels to 0 dB. NO SOUND does really ‘no jack information available’ in windows means hardware error ?! Believe it or not I did check the physical outs in case I’m that stupid unfortunately I’m not… I’m using the 1/4.  I guess this is either a serious driver error or just simply my babyface is faulty I refuse to believe the latter build quality feels so sturdy also the meters are working so IDK WISH I DID

When you can see a signal on the level meter in Totalmix hardware output, then the  the signal already reached the interface.    Totalmix runs on the interface, not on the computer. The app is only sort of a remote. That means it’s probably a hardware fault.

40 (edited by waedi 2023-08-06 03:16:59)

I would do a Total Reset in Totalmix and also check the settings in the Fireface settings Dialog.
Is the Dim value very low and Dim is active ?
For sure you are not not stupid !
These mistakes are often the case in this forum so it's routine to ask for this.
Also did you check both headphone sockets ?
The one on rhe side in the housing and the other one (with the same signal) on the break-out cable.
Break-out cable can be broken.

Total Reset :
In Totalmix menu : Options / Reset Options / Total Reset

waedi wrote:

I would do a Total Reset in Totalmix and also check the settings in the Fireface settings Dialog.
These mistakes are often the case in this forum so it's routine to ask for this.
The one on rhe side in the housing and the other one (with the same signal) on the break-out cable.

Not gonna lie I tried all these options already out of desperation as last hope but nothing made it work. Dim is -20 dB because i tried that option when messing around. To be honest I’m seasoned when it comes to troubleshooting but it’s sunday and my time is gone I really wanted to make music over the weekend but that dream is gone… I haven’t tried the 3.5 mm socket because my headphone is 120 ohms so no point in checking that out. I don’t know what else to mention. No I don’t use breakout cables at all. My setup is dead simple : headphones, interface, pc.

42 (edited by waedi 2023-08-06 07:21:24)

May you provide a screenshot of Totalmix ?
With click on the ASSIGN button to see what is assigned there...
And also clicked Phones output channel.

The assign of the headphone goes like this :
https://i.ibb.co/TWSjVVB/Bildschirmfoto-2023-08-06-um-08-20-01.png

R1c0c0 wrote:
waedi wrote:

Not gonna lie I tried all these options already out of desperation as last hope but nothing made it work. Dim is -20 dB because i tried that option when messing around. To be honest I’m seasoned when it comes to troubleshooting but it’s sunday and my time is gone I really wanted to make music over the weekend but that dream is gone… I haven’t tried the 3.5 mm socket because my headphone is 120 ohms so no point in checking that out. I don’t know what else to mention. No I don’t use breakout cables at all. My setup is dead simple : headphones, interface, pc.

I think screenshots of either TotalMix and Windows audio settings could be helpful…

44 (edited by R1c0c0 2023-08-06 10:08:09)

waedi wrote:

May you provide a screenshot of Totalmix ?
With click on the ASSIGN button to see what is assigned there...
And also clicked Phones output channel.

The assign of the headphone goes like this :
https://i.ibb.co/TWSjVVB/Bildschirmfoto-2023-08-06-um-08-20-01.png

Thanks but I have mentioned ‘playing’ with the assign section. I’ve tried every possible combination I could then did ‘total reset’ to start over but no luck. What I have noticed when I was selecting phone 1/2 assign is that after clicking the desired channel it resets to ‘none’. Did switching between daw/full mode too even then there was no sound. Going to post a screenshot once I’m at my pc.

Could it be a Windows security thing? On macOS, audio hardware has to be allowed for certain apps, maybe there is something similar on Windows?

46 (edited by waedi 2023-08-06 12:48:57)

What version number of firmware is it ? It should be 205
Is the FUT still not working ?
Because you wrote, clicking a channel (in Totalmix I guess) makes the ASSIGN switching to none.
This sounds like hardware defect or firmware failure.

waedi wrote:

What version number of firmware is it ? It should be 205
Is the FUT still not working ?
Because you wrote, clicking a channel (in Totalmix I guess) makes the ASSIGN switching to none.
This sounds like hardware defect or firmware failure.

I'm the clown of the century the jack wasn't properly locked into my headphones........... -_-'

At least I've learned to use totalmix.

Either way babyface win11 connectivity issue needs to be addressed. It's working for now, but it's silly that the system randomly  recognises the device on first setup (the drivers were installed prior connecting my device i did read the manual beforehand).

Sorry for bloating up the topic I'm happy to delete my previous posts if needed. Please let me know.

Happy Sunday

I have the bfp fs on win 11 with no such problems so I don’t think this is a problem with the bfp fs drivers

49 (edited by waedi 2023-08-07 01:04:27)

Thanks for clearing this up.
No worry you don't need to delete posts, the forum admins will do so if needed, such mistakes happens every day to every one.
Glad you earned a Totalmix workshop out of it.