1 (edited by GeorgeD3 2023-08-04 23:01:51)

Topic: Setup Question

Hello, I recently got a new amp and while I have been listening for a while, my ADI-2 PRO FS R got very hot!

I'm wondering if I have this set up properly. I have a UCXII connected via USB to my computer for the microphone capabilities, from there I have line out to my Adam A7X Monitors, SPDIF out to an ADI-2 PRO then XLR to a Violectric V281 headphone amp.

It doesn't seem like I'm taking full advantage of the ADI-2 PRO DAC capabilities with the current configuration. Is it possible to connect the ADI-2 PRO via USB to run a higher bit-rate or would I not be able to use my microphone anymore? It seems like I can only have one RME device connected via USB at a time (last I tried).

If I do have everything configured properly, then my next question is what settings should I set each device to so it doesn't run so hot and gets the cleanest sound output?

https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/12131715.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
George

Re: Setup Question

Why do you tell so few information about your setup? Not even the OS.

If Windows: the two devices UCX II and ADI-2 Pro FS are using different ASIO drivers. An application can only load one audio driver.

Under Mac it could be the similar, I am not sure whether aggregate devices work with different drivers under macOS, I am a Windows user.

If you want to integrate the ADI-2 Pro FS into your setup you do not need necessarily an USB connection, I also use it only for firmware updates. Simply connect via AES or ADAT and use it e.g. in stand-alone mode.

Setup and configuration example, see my blog:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by KaiS 2023-08-05 07:40:03)

Bigger air-gaps from the surface to ADI-2 Pro and between devices should reduce the heat.
ADI-2 Pro gets significantly warm anyway, that’s normal.

SPDIF Coax and Optical, and AES digital interfaces are limited to 192 kHz sample rate.
USB could go up to 768 kHz, but ADI-2 Pro‘s DSP capabilities are largely reduced at this SR (see below).

I can‘t hear any sound improvement beyond 96 kHz, so anything higher is questionable IMO.
This is not a race for higher numbers.

For listening, not recording analog I/O (vinyl disc) with my ADI-2/4 Pro SE I do use 192 kHz, which is more than perfectly transparent for me, preserving the characteristics of the analog vinyl disc.
For recording I use 96 kHz, because (file-) size matters - the smaller the better smile

From the manual, page 16:

8.8 DSP Limitations
At sample rates 352.8 kHz and up the Bass, Treble and Loudness function is deactivated. The number of available EQ channels is reduced to 2 (1 x stereo). EQ can still be used with Analog Input, Main Output 1/2 or Phones Out 3/4, but only one of these.

At sample rates 705.6 kHz and up Crossfeed or EQ (1 x stereo) can be active, not both at the same time.

KaiS wrote:

Bigger air-gaps from the surface to ADI-2 Pro and between devices should reduce the heat.
ADI-2 Pro gets significantly warm anyway, that’s normal.

SPDIF Coax and Optical, and AES digital interfaces are limited to 192 kHz sample rate.
USB could go up to 768 kHz, but ADI-2 Pro‘s DSP capabilities are largely reduced at this SR (see below).

I can‘t hear any sound improvement beyond 96 kHz, so anything higher is questionable IMO.
This is not a race for higher numbers.

For listening, not recording analog I/O (vinyl disc) with my ADI-2/4 Pro SE I do use 192 kHz, which is more than perfectly transparent for me, preserving the characteristics of the analog vinyl disc.
For recording I use 96 kHz, because (file-) size matters - the smaller the better smile

From the manual, page 16:

8.8 DSP Limitations
At sample rates 352.8 kHz and up the Bass, Treble and Loudness function is deactivated. The number of available EQ channels is reduced to 2 (1 x stereo). EQ can still be used with Analog Input, Main Output 1/2 or Phones Out 3/4, but only one of these.

At sample rates 705.6 kHz and up Crossfeed or EQ (1 x stereo) can be active, not both at the same time.

This was exactly what I was looking for. Would the mode matter like AD/DA vs Dig Pass Thru?

After that, is the volume settings on each device just a preference or is there an optimal way to calculate the best sound?

Thanks a bunch both of you.