Topic: Secondary Network on 12mic is not streaming

Hi,

I have a 12mic and have two DF AVB units connected to separate Windows 10 machines.
I am connecting the 12mic primary network to the DF AVB and it works fine.
The 12 mic secondary network is connected directly to the DF AVB on the second machine, but is not streaming.
I am not using an AVB switch. Does the secondary network need to go to a switch before it goes to the 2nd DF AVB?
The 12 mic and DF AVB units have the latest drivers and firmware.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Secondary Network on 12mic is not streaming

I am able to backup the recording using the 12mic primary network to a MOTU AVB switch which goes to each of the DF AVB units, but I am still not sure how to get the secondary network running.

Hi,

a switch isn't necessary. We've just released a new firmware version for the 12Mic, a couple of hours ago. Have you already flashed that one? Please do so if not and check if that makes any difference.

Best
Marc

Hi Edgar,

redundant AVB connections are meant to connect entities that support redundancy, ie. they have a primary and a secondary port. The Digiface AVB does not support redundancy. So the way you connected the Digiface AVBs - both on the primary port - is the correct way to achieve a backup recording.

-Max

Thanks everyone,

I will install the most recent firmware and use the primary network for backup recording.

Please consider this post solved.

All best,
Edgar

But this should work, the links to the DF AVB are two separate networks. The DF AVB does not require any backup functionality. The question is how the technical MIC12 is implemented? If this should set up two Rudunate streams according to Milan, the hardware is able to set up one stream per port.

Technically the secondary port should have the same functionality. With Dante hardware, the behavior can be set, switch mode etc.

It would be nice to use the secondary network to the second DF AVB without using a switch, but I cannot get the secondary network to stream. I have the most recent firmware and driver. Any suggestions?

8 (edited by waedi 2023-07-26 01:26:01)

By this picture from the user manual primary PRI and secundary SEC network-port can be disabled individually ?

https://i.ibb.co/Fn40yMC/Bildschirmfoto-2023-07-26-um-01-20-41.png

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

damarco wrote:

But this should work, the links to the DF AVB are two separate networks. The DF AVB does not require any backup functionality. The question is how the technical MIC12 is implemented? If this should set up two Rudunate streams according to Milan, the hardware is able to set up one stream per port.

Technically the secondary port should have the same functionality. With Dante hardware, the behavior can be set, switch mode etc.

Yes, technically you are right - my recommendation against it comes from a usability perspective.

MILAN redundancy provides a failover when one of two (totally separate) networks fails. An ATDECC controller that is aware of this (such as Hive) can create a "single" stream connection between two devices (that implement Milan redundancy and have two ports) simultaneously on PRI and SEC ports, even if the controller itself is connected to only one of the two networks. This means that Hive will "hide" half of the streams and give you separate icons/colors/shapes in the matrix for redundant devices. If you disconnect one port, Hive will show you* a network failure on the corresponding port, but the listener will still receive all the audio from the talker over the other network.
*Hive will show you nothing if it was controlling the entities on the network you just disconnected, of course...

Using the primary and secondary port to connect two separate entities is possible (although I do not recommend it, see above), and I am aware that this is a valid use case. It might not work with a redundancy-aware controller like Hive, but it does currently work with the RME AVB Controller which shows separate streams for the primary and secondary port as a consecutive list. You have to do the logic yourself to remember which streams of the remote entity (ie. 12Mic) are available on the entity that you are running the controller on (one of the Digifaces). Since PRI and SEC ports are not bridged, you only see and control only half of the connections and need to use two Digiface AVB controllers (one to manage the PRI connections on computer 1, and one to manage the SEC connections on computer 2).

So, connect Digiface AVB 1 to PRI and Digiface AVB 2 to SEC. Both will see the 12Mic and enumerate 18 stream sources and 18 stream sinks, but you can only use half of those: on the Digiface AVB 1, you stream from and to "Primary" streams 1-9 (labeled as "P" or Primary) and on the Digiface AVB 2, you stream from and to "Secondary" streams 1-9 (labeled as "S" or Secondary). The 12Mic should be clock master, the Digiface AVB 1 synchronized to any of the Primary incoming connected streams, and the Digiface AVB 2 synchronized to any of the secondary incoming connected streams.

The Primary and Secondary streams coming from the 12Mic carry the exact same audio information, so yes, you can use this to connect two computers and record the same audio. The Primary and Secondary streams going to the 12Mic are selected in a similar manner as the MADI Auto Input.

waedi wrote:

By this picture from the user manual primary PRI and secundary SEC network-port can be disabled individually ?

This window shows the streaming state, and pushing the second or third button does nothing. You control the streaming state with a separate controller (such as the one coming with the Digiface AVB or another third party app). Nothing can be disabled here, luckily.

But real redundancy with Hive is not achieved that way. For me, these are always two separate networks. The streams are received or sent simultaneously and the hardware then switches without interference. To do this, Hive would have to work with two networks or they would have to be merged with a switch. If the controller is lost, it's not that bad.

Proper redundancy also requires two grandmasters, if one network fails the grandmaster may be missing. A change of grandmaster for mostly drop outs.

A redundant concept requires some considerations smile. The main question is that of the clock.

Thank you for the additional information. My understanding of redunant networks is limited.
My goal is to create a backup for live recording that would keep going if a computer freezes or a hard drive fails.
This past weekend, I was recording a live concert using the primary network to a switch. Both DF AVB units were connected to separate computers and worked well. Unfortunately, right before the concert started, the stage lights were turned on. That with the air conditioning caused a surge, and the network went down. I lost the first song, but got the network back in the second song.
Under circumstances like that, would a battery backup for the 12 mic keep the network running?

That with the air conditioning caused a surge, and the network went down. I lost the first song, but got the network back in the second song.

The internal 12Mic PSU is very resilient against surges or voltage drops. It's hard to tell from a distance what exactly happened, but the stage lighting may have affected your MOTU switch?

How long was the actual gap in your recording? I assume you had the 12Mic on stage and weren't able to observe if the device rebooted (which a power bank would have protected against)?

Can you share a bit of detail on the cables/connectors you used (were they shielded or not)?

Hi Max,

Thank you for the reply.  It is possible that the MOTU switch reset. It all happended so fast, I am not sure what is the culprit.  The 12mic was on the stage about 75 feet away. Sadly, I was using a UTF cable, so it is possible that there was RMI/EMI in the cable.

To prevent a further problem, I have purchased shielded cable for all of my connections, and will run an audio snake from the stage to my workstation, where I will place the 12mic. All electronics will be plugged into a Furman power conditioner with surge protection. I have ordered the XT battery recommended by MC.

I am even running an extra set of mains to a battery operated field recorder in case of another unforseen problem.

Now that I have the XT battery, is it safe to test the AC and DC power units simultaneously on the 12mic and then take down AC to see if the battery keeps the network up?

Thanks for your help!
Edgar

The XT battery (all these power banks) includes an automatic shudown when not used, so in case of power down it will be off and not come on automatically.

As backup solution the mentioned Li-Ion battery pack would be the solution.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

16 (edited by bsfreq 2023-08-04 23:14:57)

MC wrote:

The XT battery (all these power banks) includes an automatic shudown when not used, so in case of power down it wil be off and not come on automatically.

If Edgar already bought the XT Battery, one option might be to plug some low amperage USB-device to the battery pack to force it to stay on.
USB led lamp (you can buy those for less than 1€) or something similar. Something that won't drain the battery much, but will still force it to stay on. I haven't tried this with the XT, but works with my other brand power banks.

The power banks I use can also deliver power while being charged and they stay on as long as they're plugged into a charger. I don't know about the XT.. perhaps it works the same and can stay on and even switch to delivering power automatically in case you loose power from mains and its USB charger? Then you wouldn't even need any silly USB lamps. smile

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

17 (edited by kuncarp 2023-08-06 12:59:50)

Hi Edgar,
I recommend to use UPS power backup that feeds every single unit of your system (12mic, switches, computer). Also for redundancy you might consider using MADI output from 12mic (for example to Madiface USB). That prevents any problems when the primary cable is corrupted or stream is interrupted. Actually that is exactly what I use for location recording smile