1 (edited by Topanga_Dreams 2023-08-06 17:33:53)

Topic: Latency Fireface 802 with M2 Mac

Hello,
I am a bit surprised about the unexpected high latency with my new Fireface 802 (not FS).
With a setting of 44.1 KHz and 256 buffer Logic shows 12,6 ms.
I expected something under 10ms…can someone help me? Did I do something wrong?

With a Fireface UCXII I have a rtl around 7ms.

Thanks

PS I installed the driver and flash update on a windows machine.

Mac Mini M2 Pro 16GB RAM - RME FIREFACE 802 - LOGIC PRO

Re: Latency Fireface 802 with M2 Mac

This isn’t the real rtl number, it’s only what the driver reports to the system. Go to do your own measurement with a simple analog cable loop and the external i/o plugin in Logic.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Yes, but usually the numbers of RME are rather accurate.

What makes me wonder is that he claims to reach an RTL of 7 ms with an ASIO buffersize of 256.
This should be more something like 13 ms for input and output.

See / compare with some other values reported from different drivers (usb, fw, tb, hdspe, hdspe madi fx):
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ent … cts-en-de/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by oli77sch 2023-08-06 18:24:05)

ramses wrote:

What makes me wonder is that he claims to reach an RTL of 7 ms with an ASIO buffersize of 256.

To me it’s a bit unclear what part of the original post is related to Logic (and of course macOS) and what to Windows.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

5 (edited by ramses 2023-08-06 18:30:12)

oli77sch wrote:
ramses wrote:

To me it’s a bit unclear what part of the original post is related to Logic (and of course macOS) and what to Windows.

Same for me, but the values should not differ much between Apple and Windows, Apple might have a little bit higher values because of the additional safety buffer, because its not direct access to the HW, everything goes through the internal sound system.

Converter latencies of the last generations only differ in fractions of a millisecond.

Furthermore, to have under 10ms with a buffer of 256 looks very questionable to me.

Maybe something has been configured or looked up wrong.
A screenshot would be helpful, showing the ASIO buffersize and the reported input-/output latency as reported from the driver.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by Topanga_Dreams 2023-08-06 21:45:23)

ramses wrote:

See / compare with some other values reported from different drivers (usb, fw, tb, hdspe, hdspe madi fx):
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ent … cts-en-de/

Call me the king of wishful thinking ;-), of course, I mixed up the buffer size. I was talking about a buffer of 256. With my M2 Pro and the latest Ventura version, the RTL is under 13ms….my bad. I am sorry…

With a buffer of 128 ms it is 6,4 ms which is excellent. So, no problem at all. sorry…

oli77sch wrote:
ramses wrote:

I just meant, I installed the driver update with a windows PC. After the Fireface was on the latest firmware, I installed it on my Mac. With my Mac alone, neither my Mac nor Logic could recognize the Fireface. I also changed the security settings in reboot mode etc..

Now, everything is good.

Thanks everyone for their comments and pointing out that I was on the wrong path.

And I just want to make a bit advertisement for the combination Mac Mini Pro M2 (16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD) and the FIREFACE 802 plus Logic. Just for fun I loaded some loops with a triple digit number of open VST’s, Plugins and software synths…not a hint of a problem. Amazing!