1 (edited by Berthold Collins 2023-08-05 10:28:24)

Topic: ADI-2 FS with Digiface USB problem

Hi,

I have a problem with the ADI-2 FS (non pro) connected to my Digiface USB (iMac M1, latest Monterey).

Digiface is master and the Adi-2 set to clock - digital in.

I set up my chain in 96k and it works.

When I switch the sampling rate in the Mac, both FF USB Settings and the Adi-2 show to be in sync but the Adi-2 doesn´t pass audio.

Is there some trick I haven´t found, yet or is my unit defective?

Any advice is greatly appreciated - thank you!

Re: ADI-2 FS with Digiface USB problem

On the DF USB channels changed to a different number when changing between single and double speed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Berthold Collins 2023-08-05 14:19:32)

MC wrote:

On the DF USB channels changed to a different number when changing between single and double speed.

Thank you Matthias,

that´s tricky, indeed ;-).

So only 1 & 2 stay the same and all others will switch outputs.

I was already wondering why sp/dif 7/8 is on Adat 13/14...

MC wrote:

Btw. regarding the akm fire, is the Adi-2 FS still in production, or better will there be an updated version?

The ADI-2 FS is still in production and does not need an update.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The ADI-2 FS is the update to the ADI-2.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

7 (edited by Berthold Collins 2023-08-07 10:00:53)

MC wrote:

The ADI-2 FS is still in production and does not need an update.

I don´t think it needs an update.

As I wrote, I was asking because of the availability of the akm chips and wondering if you switch to ESS for this model, too.

Good to hear it´s still in production, though because in some cases the feature set of the Pro FS is just too much and soundwise, it´s close enough for serious work.

8 (edited by Berthold Collins 2023-08-07 09:48:12)

ramses wrote:

The ADI-2 FS is the update to the ADI-2.

I´d rather see it as a stripped down version of the Pro FS (which I also have), than as an update of this grainy dinosaur (which I sold ages ago) ;-).

I wrote that because you didn't say why you think the device should get an update. So I wasn't aware if you might have mistyped and were talking about the old ADI-2.

Without saying exactly what you mean or what your motivations or conclusions are, it's hard to come up with an appropriate response that you expect.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

10 (edited by Berthold Collins 2023-08-07 10:05:49)

ramses wrote:

I wrote that because you didn't say why you think the device should get an update. So I wasn't aware if you might have mistyped and were talking about the old ADI-2.

Without saying exactly what you mean or what your motivations or conclusions are, it's hard to come up with an appropriate response that you expect.

I expected the opening of my question made it clear:

"Btw. regarding the akm fire"

And the thread title, too ;-)

Still do not get your point. Yes, there was the fire, but your leave it open what kind of upgrade you mean.
The ADI-2 FS got an AKM chip from the beginning and at the moment I am not 100% sure, whether the AD/DA converter have been changed for this unit or whether it was simply unavailable for some time.
Next point, in cases where RME changed to ESS converters it was not kind of a downgrade as the products still reached the specs it was simply another converter from another company. For devices like ADI-2 FS (which do not have variable D/A filter) this doesn't matter much.
So I additionally didn't get it what you mean by "upgrade".

12 (edited by Berthold Collins 2023-08-07 13:17:07)

ramses wrote:

Still do not get your point. Yes, there was the fire, but your leave it open what kind of upgrade you mean.
The ADI-2 FS got an AKM chip from the beginning and at the moment I am not 100% sure, whether the AD/DA converter have been changed for this unit or whether it was simply unavailable for some time.
Next point, in cases where RME changed to ESS converters it was not kind of a downgrade as the products still reached the specs it was simply another converter from another company. For devices like ADI-2 FS (which do not have variable D/A filter) this doesn't matter much.
So I additionally didn't get it what you mean by "upgrade".

I guess you misinterpret my use of the term upgrade.

It didn´t imply a necessity. I was simply asking if it is either:

- discontinued, caused by the fire and the following chip shortage (I was wondering because of the recent price drop)

- Up- or downgraded to ESS - whatever your preference is (generally, I´m camp ESS in most cases, just sayin´).

I think you make a big deal out of a rather simple question ;-)

Well, I answered on the ADI-2 FS:

https://www.rme-audio.de/de_ADI-2-FS.html

There is a good chance that you miswrote and talk about the ADI-2 DAC FS, though. Happens here all the time.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME