Topic: 2 pairs of studio monitor setup / babyface PRO & RME ARC USB

Hello,

I have a Babyface Pro and will soon be getting a second pair of studio monitors. Now I'm looking for a solution to quickly and easily switch from Pair A to Pair B without any loss in quality. Instead of buying a monitor controller, I've considered purchasing the "RME ARC USB" to easily switch between Pair A and B. I could connect the first pair of speakers to the digital AN1/2 via XLR. Since the Babyface doesn't have a second output of this kind, I would use the headphone output for the additional pair.

Question 1: Does this combination work, and can I route my setup in the software as intended?
Question 2: Are there any signal losses when using the headphone output for monitor speakers?

Thank you very much for your help.

2 (edited by waedi 2023-08-12 09:37:11)

Re: 2 pairs of studio monitor setup / babyface PRO & RME ARC USB

Yes
No
the AN1/2 XLR outputs are not digital btw, in case your speakers have digital XLR AES connectors, this would not work.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

You could also use the knobs on the Babyface pro to switch between the speakers if you want. They are programmable. As long you don’t use all the default functions…

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Thank you very much for the incredibly fast and precise responses.

My speakers have analog connections, and I wasn't aware that I can freely program the buttons on the interface. I believe I've already found the necessary tutorial on the RME channel on YouTube.

Many thanks @wädi & oli77sch