1 (edited by Nube 2023-08-16 03:05:02)

Topic: [Solved] Original Babyface driver installation issue

So...it's with some trepidation that I post here, because I'm quite inexperienced, and it's likely a stupid question,  but I'm really needing help. I bought a babyface many years ago (the original one) and am not trying to install the driver for it on Windows X. I went to the download page and the driver appeared to download just fine. And also appeared to install just fine. But there is not Total FX in the system tray. I thought when you installed the driver it automatically installed Total FX? What is the best way to verify that I have in fact installed the driver? And I install the driver in windows, right? Not in Presonus Studio One (my recording software). There is a place on the babyface for a power cord, but it's my understanding that all you need is USB for power. That is correct, no? Thanks for any and all help.
Follow up: The Fireface USB shows in the devices, but no Total FX in the system tray or elsewhere.

2 (edited by ramses 2023-08-16 03:24:53)

Re: [Solved] Original Babyface driver installation issue

EDITED pls re-read

> and am not trying to install the driver for it on Windows X.
Is this a typo? Did you want to say "now"?

Can you please deliver more concrete information about your setup? What is your computer/mainboard CPU?

Is this your product? Babyface (not Pro, not Pro FS)?
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/products/babyface.php

Did this work already, or did you get a used product newly?

Is the Babyface perhaps set to Class Compliant mode, then it won't work, see information below (which I copy/pasted for you from manual ch 6) how to check this, it needs to be in normal mode otherwise it won't work under Windows.

Manual Link for Babyface: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/bface_e.pdf (did you ever read the beginning chapters about driver installation? There are already very useful hints!

How do you connect the Babyface? With USB Hub or connected directly to the computer?
Did you use the EDIT: USB 2.0 with double power connector to ensure the Babyface gets enough power?

What is Windows X? Do you mean Windows 10? Please note, ⁣X sounds more like the placeholder "x".
The Roman letter "X" has never been used for Windows version numbering.

Regarding Download page. What download page? Of Microsoft, of RME? What is the filename of the driver that you downloaded and intend to install? Without telling the filename It's impossible to check / validate, that you chose the correct driver.

TotalMix FX won't start until the device is being recognized by Windows.
- to be checked, see above, did you install the proper USB driver for your device? What is the filename of the driver that you installed?
- How do you connect your Babyface to the computer? Via USB Hub? If yes, try without and try every USB2 or USB3 port.
- Did you already try another USB cable?
- Does your Babyface appear in the Windows Device Manager? Send Screenshot of it to the forum.
  Place the JPEG file to a cloud provider like dropbox, share it and post the resulting URL of the shared file on this forum.
  Detailed instructions and a little background, see here on my blog:
  https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … rum-EN-DE/

EDIT2: Did you read already manual ch. 7.1 for possible reasons, why it doesn't work?

• The USB port is not active in the system (check the Device Manager)
• The USB cable is not, or not correctly inserted into the socket
• The Babyface does not receive any or not enough power. In this case, please consider using the included
dual cable. Plug both connectors from one end of the cable into the computer. If the Babyface starts correctly, the lowest green LED in the left band will flash, the In LED is constantly lit, the lowest one in the right band, too.
• The Babyface is in Class Compliant mode (explained in manual chapter 6), if this is the case, turn it back to normal mode:
In case the level meters of the Babyface run up during power-on: the unit is in Class Compliance mode and will not be working under Windows. Remove the cable, hold Select and Recall button down, plug-in the USB cable. This procedure changes between the CC and normal mode. When the LED Level meters don’t run up during power-on the normal mode is active

EDIT3: correct driver (assumed you have Babyface *) is the "old" USB driver (not MADIface)

Windows 7 to 11 PnP driver for Fireface UFX, 802, UCX, UCX II, UC and Babyface/Pro 2023-07-11 driver_usb_win_1246.zip
Supported products: Babyface, Babyface Pro, Babyface Pro FS, Fireface 802, Fireface 802 FS, Fireface UC, Fireface UCX, Fireface UCX II, Fireface UFX
https://rme-audio.de/downloads/driver_usb_win_1246.zip

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

My bad... yes, I was trying to say "I am NOW trying to install the driver on Windows 10".
Thanks for the correction and good guessing!
I bought the product new a long time ago, and am just trying to install it on a server that got retired from my business that I'm dedicating to recording at home. I have the Babyface and Presonus Studio One.
Yes, the USB cable is plugged directly into the back of the computer.
I don't recall if the babyface came with a power supply. If it did I likely still have it. But I'm not sure it's necessary. If it's required, and I can't find the original one, I could just look at the back of the babyface and get the volts and amps and off we go, right?
I've tried two so far. I'm not sure the babyface isn't working. it does light up. I just can't see Total FX anywhere on the computer, so I'm thinking I did something wrong.
Yes it was the original Babyface that you linked to.
I downloaded the driver from the RME page. (I believe it was here: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/en/downloads.php)
Downloaded file: https://rme-audio.de/downloads/driver_usb_win_1246.zip

I don't have dropbox, but I'll work on getting a screenshot uploaded to another site.
In the mean time under the Unistall or Change Programs there is a listing for:
RME Fireface USB  Publisher: RME Intelligent Audio Solutions Version: 1.2.46.0
In Control Panel/Hardware & Sound/Devices & Printers:
Under Devices: Babyface 23246421 is listed.
Control Panel: Hardware & Sound/Sound/Manage audio devices
Six options are listed all of which have RME Babyface listed below them.

I already edited my posting, as some stuff I wrote from memory and needed correction.

There is no optional power supply but a cable which you can connect to two USB ports of your computer, to ensure, that there will be enough power for the Babyface.

The driver looks ok.

So the relevant question is IMHO .. did you put the device erraneously into Class Compliant mode (CC Mode).
Then it won't work and the driver will not load and TotalMix FX won't start up.
In this case you need to set it to normal mode, the procedure is explained in my posting / or consult manual ch 6.

I added the relevant information from manual to the (edited) posting, see under EDIT 2.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I appreciate this info greatly and will use it in the future! But!!!! I thought... Perhaps I should just restart my computer and see what happens, and voila! TotalMix FX ... all there!

6 (edited by ramses 2023-08-16 03:58:43)

Congrats.
So, CC mode was the culprit here, or what led to success?

On a freash installation TM FX will not be in the System Tray until the computer is rebooted.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by ramses 2023-08-16 06:16:57)

I couldn't believe it when I read that, so I asked back to be sure.

This information is even included in the manual about the driver installation and if you operate computers, this is usually a known thing, that in most cases a reboot is needed:
"After a reboot, the icons of TotalMix FX and Settings dialog appear in the notification area."