Topic: Babyface Pro FS + Ableton MIDI setup

Hi everyone!
For some reason I can not make my MIDI keyboard work for me when connected via Babyface Pro FS MIDI Input port.
The keyboard works fine via USB.
But when I connect it to Babyface MIDI Input - nothing happens.
I tried pllaying around with TotalMix settings with no luck. Settings -> MIDI -> MIDI In I only see "Babyface Midi Port 1" and "none" options, both don't make my keyboard sound.
So can someone please guide me through the process of setting up MIDI keyboard via Babyface Pro FS MIDI Input port?
Thanks in advance!

2 (edited by waedi 2023-08-16 11:49:18)

Re: Babyface Pro FS + Ableton MIDI setup

If your computer is a Mac then download this tool :
https://www.snoize.com/midimonitor/MIDIMonitor.dmg
You can see if the midi signals from your keyboard arriving in the computer system.
In Ableton you have to enable the midi device, it's probably called generic midi device.
what is that keyboard ? May be the Midi-output needs to get enabled ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Hi
TotalMix has nothing to do with the Midi I/O so far (except you want to control it over a hardware unit, the settings are meant for this case).
On Mac, you have to set up the Midi connection in Audio-Midi-Setup (subfolder 'Utilities' in 'Applications').
If you are on Windows, I can’t help.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Thank yo so much for the input, waedi, oli77sch!
One thing I forgot to mention - I have Windows computer.
I tried similar tools for Windows MIDI diagnostics - Pocket MIDI and MIDIView. Nothing is seen there. I.e. whatever I press on keyboard - nothing gets reflected in the tool.
The keyboard is M-Audio Keystation 88 mk3, if that helps.
Might that be that I should press some buttons on the Babyface Pro FS itself?

Maybe this helps: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar … tation-88/

If you are sure the MIDI mode is correct, please check that the pins inside the breakout cable mini-DIN jack are not crushed,

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

6 (edited by oli77sch 2023-08-16 15:54:47)

dngakk wrote:

Might that be that I should press some buttons on the Babyface Pro FS itself?

No.
What is the Windows device manager reporting? Does the Babyface appear as midi device? And in Ableton?
Are you sure you have the midi cable from the keyboard connected to the right port of the breakout cable?

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

And it worked!!! Thanks, Jeff!
Indeed, it was the keyboard.
The way to set it up is described here: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar … tation-88/

Thank you so much for the help! Such prompt responses and willingness to help makes me think that the greatest people and finest professionals are on this forum smile