Topic: RME Connector - continued problems

For reference, I have pasted below my last message about this problem (from another thread), along with the suggestion I received.

My problem has been getting the 12mic to connect to RME Connector via a Cat6 connection.

I disconnected the USB from my 12mic, and connected a Cat6 cable from the first 12mic network port to my computer's network port. I see activity lights on both ends of the cable connection.

If I enter "http://12mic.local/" into my browser, I can now connect to the 12mic via web remote.

However, when I start RME Connector and select 12mic from the "Add IP-controlled device" menu, the instance of 12mic that pops up is not connected. It indicates "not connected" in the window on the upper left. I noted that the clock settings (which were correct on the web remote page) were set to "Internal" instead of "Optical MADI", which it should be. (My UFX+ is the clock master.) Unfortunately, changing this didn't help. It will not sync to the clock, and still shows as "not connected".

I confirmed that "HTTP Remote" is set to On for the 12mic. Both the primary and secondary network ports are set to DHCP. Of course, since web remote worked, I assume that these settings are OK.

What's worse, now my Octamic XTC won't connect to RME Connector! I set the correct Device ID and made sure that MIDI In and Out are set to "UFX+ MIDI Port 3" (i.e. MADI).

I started getting messages that another MIDI device was trying to use the port, and it said that it was MIDI Device 1, which is the 12 mic. ??? (I made sure that TotalMix MIDI Control was off.) It also said that a device (the 12mic) was using old firmware (1.5) that might not work right. I had already flashed 1.7 onto the 12mic, as confirmed by web remote.

To be sure, I flashed the 12mic 1.7 firmware again, then uninstalled and re-installed RME Connector. No error messages no, but the 12mic won't connect by IP, and the Octamic XTC won't connect by MIDI over MADI as it did before.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Earlier posts:
2023/8/11

I spoke too soon. It seemed to work fine at first, but when I opened it again, it didn't work.
I'm using Windows 11 build 22621. I'm using Chrome as a browser, but I tried Microsoft Edge as well.
The network port on the 12mic flashed, and the network port on my computer also showed activity. However, when I opened a 12mic instance in RME Connector by selecting it under the "IP" icon, it showed as Not Connected. I was also unable to get a connection through Web Remote on Chrome or Edge.
I confirmed on the 12mic that HTTP Remote was On. I checked the primary and secondary IP settings, and both were on DHCP. I tried a static connection connection, and the 12mic assigned 172.2.2.0, with a subnet mask of 0.0.0.0. My browsers couldn't connect. I tried changing to 172.20.0.1, which is the address the 12mic Web Remote uses, also with no luck.
I used to be able to connect with the Web Remote without changing from DHCP using a USB connection, but now I can no long connect using USB. Remote Connector works fine with USB for both my 12mic and my Octamic XTC.
This is puzzling, and any advice would be appreciated. I don't really mind using USB, but it would be conventient in some ways to use a network connection (one less USB device to plug in, reportedly faster response.).

2023/8/14
Hi Vanceen,
this seems to be unrelated to RME Connector. Also, you do not have to change the DHCP setting - the 12Mic will use an address that starts with 169.254... if there is no DHCP server, and it is shown on the 12Mic after it was assigned. Have you tried disconnecting USB and using the device name in the browser's address bar (as described in the manual) to reach the device over network? If that does not work, please open a separate thread.
Max

2 (edited by vanceen 2023-08-18 20:54:45)

Re: RME Connector - continued problems

OK, to try to get back to a functioning setup, I removed the Cat6 cable and plugged the USB connector from the computer back into the 12mic.

Now I cannot connect to the 12mic by web remote.

Also, I cannot connect to either the 12mic or the Octamic XTC using RME Connector.

I have tried powering off and on the UFX+, Octamic XTC, and the 12mic, and rebooting my computer. No change.

This is getting a bit frustrating.

3 (edited by ramses 2023-08-19 06:51:46)

Hi vanceen,

Which
- RME connector
- 12Mic firmware
- UFX+ driver / firmware
versions are you using?

I didn't find this information in your posting.

I remember that there were a few issues with RME connector which I reported to RME in the past and which became kindly fixed. Many thanks again, Max.

When the latest version of RME connector came out 2.0b16, then I think I had again issues.
This time no connection worked, neither MIDI over MADI to 12Mic/XTC, nor IP based.

I think this I could solve by performing firmware / driver updates to the latest versions of
- UFX III (MADIface USB driver / firmware) 0.9824 / v7 (on boot in the display)
- 12Mic firmware 1.7.0 (v166)

Now the access to all devices, which was previously a little laggy sometimes, is blindingly fast.
Immediately there / "online".

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/wqr2ogzt3dbq5axcvjz59/2023-08-18-22_30_25-RME-Connector-2.0.0b16.jpg?rlkey=zmgxaj4x61ysfuzr78zufms1j&dl=1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by vanceen 2023-08-18 23:45:03)

ramses,

Thank you, helpful as always.

I have the latest version of all the software, drivers, and firmware.

Snap update...

RME Connector started working again with a USB connection. I have no idea why, I just opened it again and everything was there and connected. Web remote is working.

Strange things continued to happen, however. All the routings for my 12mic disappeared. (I'm using the Octamic XTC input 1-8 going to MADI 1-8, and 12mic 1-12 going to MADI 9-20.) I got the routings set up again - Web Remote is great for that.

And then there was no sound at my 12mic inputs. I put a mic directly into several of the front panel inputs, put up the gain, and not the slightest movement on the meters or sound through the system. I powered off and on the 12mic (for about the 5th time today), and now everything's good again.

I think I'm going to stop trying to use network connection. MIDI over MADI is fine, and every time I've tried to use network remote I've run into strange problems. It's not a satisfying outcome, though.

5 (edited by ramses 2023-08-19 06:53:57)

Shifted to new posting, to increase visibility for RME:

@RME/Max: found a little bug while checking versions for vanceen in the previous posting #3

While RME connector was working, see screenshot above in posting #4, I power-cycled the UFX III to look for the firmware version.
After power-cycle only the IP-based connection stays and both "MIDI over MADI" based connection do not recover.
Blinking "connecting".

Workaround: you have to quit and restart RME connector so that things work again.

I think a power-cycle of the recording interface, this should be handled more gracefully by RME connector to find the devices (here 12Mic, XTC) again over "MIDI over MADI" once the UFX III finished power-cycle and is back operational.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13