Topic: Digital input + analog output at the same time

I think I'm in the market for a high end DAC like the RME ... my question is though: is it possible to route audio from external SPDIF source IN through the RME, have it processed by upsampler on RPi or similar device then have a that upsampled audio source coming back in out of the XLR outputs?

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-08-20 22:14:34)

Re: Digital input + analog output at the same time

privacyguy123 wrote:

... is it possible to route audio from external SPDIF source IN through the RME, have it processed by upsampler on RPi or similar device then have a that upsampled audio source coming back in out of the XLR outputs?

Yes, without any external device.

ADI-2 Pro and ADI-2/4 Pro SE have a Sample Rate Converter / SRC built in, that can be used for upsampling.

3 (edited by privacyguy123 2023-08-20 22:18:11)

KaiS wrote:
privacyguy123 wrote:

... is it possible to route audio from external SPDIF source IN through the RME, have it processed by upsampler on RPi or similar device then have a that upsampled audio source coming back in out of the XLR outputs?

Yes, without a device like “RPi”, whatever this acronym stands for.

ADI-2 Pro and ADI-2/4 Pro SE have a Sample Rate converter / SRC built in, that can be used for upsampling.

RPi is a Raspberry Pi running HQPlayer to upsample with digital filters, it is needed in this signal chain. According to the developers of the app the ONLY interface on the market that can be used as an input device in their software is the RME.

I am unable to find a definitive answer, perhaps someone can chime in here.

4 (edited by KaiS 2023-08-20 22:42:33)

The problem would be:
ADI-2 cannot split it’s internals - digital input to USB interface / USB interface to analog out - to run at different sample rates in realtime, except for it’s SPDIF input, that has am option for SR decoupling by the built in SRC.

Of course you could record through ADI-2, upsample offline and later play back at higher sample rate.

5 (edited by privacyguy123 2023-08-20 23:09:05)

KaiS wrote:

The problem would be:
ADI-2 cannot split it’s internals - digital input to USB interface / USB interface to analog out - to run at different sample rates in realtime, except for it’s SPDIF input, that has am option for SR decoupling by the built in SRC.

Of course you could record through ADI-2, upsample offline and later play back at higher sample rate.

Unforunately I did think this would be the case. hmm

Does such a device exist out there with this "decoupling" feature?

6 (edited by KaiS 2023-08-21 00:22:30)

According to your posting above, the developer of HQplayer says it works with RME devices only - which is a bit of a surprise.

I’d ask him directly about your idea.
Maybe report back here once you have an answer, so others can benefit too.