1 (edited by halloweenman 2023-08-21 10:35:24)

Topic: ADI-2 Pro FS R + Mic Preamp + TotalMix FX (modular approach)

I'm thinking about a modular approach without redundancy for my audio system.

ADI-2 Pro FS R appears to have everything I need for A-D and D-A conversion. Also perfect for home hifi playback.

Does RME offer a product or products that will offer TotalMix FX (with DSP effects such as reverb and dynamics) and preamps that doesn't do conversion (ADI-2 Pro FS R already does that)?

It's a waste buying something like a Babyface or UCX or UFX if you have and need the features of ADI-2 Pro FS R as the conversion in those audio interfaces will never be used. It creates waste and redundancy.

2 (edited by oli77sch 2023-08-21 10:08:30)

Re: ADI-2 Pro FS R + Mic Preamp + TotalMix FX (modular approach)

Maybe this:
https://www.rme-audio.de/digiface-usb.html
But sadly it doesn't have the effects.
Babyface pro FS has eq, reverb and echo, but no dynamics:
https://www.rme-audio.de/babyface-pro-fs.html
There is no RME interface with mic preamps and a direct analog line output. For this there would be the Quadmic II which has four preamps and direct line outs, without AD conversion built in.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

3 (edited by halloweenman 2023-08-21 10:33:20)

Quadmic II would fit the bill, as would many other analog mic preamps.

RME doesn't appear to have a dedicated product for TotalMix FX with DSP. Digiface USB would fit the bill if it had DSP effects but it appears no such product from RME exists.

Are there any other manufacturers that offer something like TotalMix FX with DSP as a stand alone product?

I think a setup like you have in mind is not really intended from RME. Having already great 'all in one' solutions like UCX II or UFX II / UFX III offering all this you want in one unit, they probably don't see a need for a pure digital unit (like Digiface USB) with a full equipped DSP chip.
Recently there were users asking for something like a 'Digiface USB mk2' offering standalone functionality. For this it would need a separate powering connector (not only USB power) and could then also have the DSP chip allowing all effects I guess.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

5 (edited by halloweenman 2023-08-21 12:18:53)

The 'all in one' solution does not have some important features that the ADI-2 pro converter has - such as remote volume control and DAC digital filter selection.

RME could choose to include DAC digital filter selection in their best audio interfaces such as UFX III. Not sure if this would require a hardware revision or a firmware update.

Volume issue could be resolved with an update to the TotalMix remote app so it can be adjusted more easily and accurately with tapping a button or something like that on the screen that would add or subtract 0.5db (like a physical remote) rather than using the main output slider which is cumbersome on a touch screen and has a slight delay.