1 (edited by vdamir78 2023-08-21 11:28:46)

Topic: Total Mix & Studio One issue and a question

Whenever I am inside a Studio One session, doing playback for example, if I pull up Total Mix, then Studio One's playback stops. Even if my TM is "always on top" the moment I touch anything inside it, the playback in S1 will stop as well.
Can this be dealt with?

The other question I have is about using RME's Eq and Dynamics as an outboard process/fx with Studio One's Pipeline plugin. Can this work?
Thanks

Re: Total Mix & Studio One issue and a question

Hi
Indeed a strange and unwanted behaviour.
Please tell us about your system and software versions:
Windows or macOS,
RME interface model,
RME driver and firmware versions,
Studio One version …

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

3 (edited by vdamir78 2023-08-21 12:18:25)

oli77sch wrote:

Hi
Indeed a strange and unwanted behaviour.
Please tell us about your system and software versions:
Windows or macOS,
RME interface model,
RME driver and firmware versions,
Studio One version …

Win 11
Rme Ufx III
S1 6.2

I didn't yet check for firmware version, I just got the UFX3 last week and I downloaded the TM from Rme site.

Hopefully some Windows and UFX III experts will chime in. I can’t help, I’m on Mac and don’t use Studio One (except sometimes the free version).

oli77sch wrote:

Hopefully some Windows and UFX III experts will chime in. I can’t help, I’m on Mac and don’t use Studio One (except sometimes the free version).

How about the other question? About Eq being used in pipeline?

vdamir78 wrote:
oli77sch wrote:

How about the other question? About Eq being used in pipeline?

Ah yes, sorry. That should work using the loopback feature in TotalMix.
How exactly is the 'Pipeline' working? I guess just like an insert on a mixing desk?
If so, I would select an unused output (stereo pair) of your interface and the corresponding input. Let’s take ADAT 1/2 for example.
Also please note I have Totalmix set to submix view.
When you select this output in the plugin, the audio signal should reach ADAT 1/2 software playback channels in the Totalmix window. On this channel, set the EQ as you wish. Now click on hardware output ADAT 1/2 (bottom row) to select it (it should change to a brighter background colour). Now close all faders on the hardware input (top) row as well as on software playback (middle) row. Only raise up (double click) the fader of software playback ADAT 1/2. Also the fader of hardware out ADAT 1/2 has to be open of course. Open the tools of hardware out ADAT 1/2. Click on the 'loopback' button (it becomes orange highlighted). The signal - including the eq modification - now is sent internally to ADAT 1/2 hardware input (so no cables needed). And from there it should reach the 'Pipeline' plugin with the added eq.
You can select any output / input channels to do this. The signal stays within the UFX, there is no DA/AD conversion involved, even when you select 'analog' channels! And there is almost no latency, a few milliseconds maybe…

Great thanks. I was already thinking of some cabling smile

I solved the 1st issue by unchecking "release asio driver in background" in S1, so it was an S1 problem.