1 (edited by cavidim 2023-08-21 20:00:25)

Topic: fireface ucx ii - mixer - speaker connection

hi there,

I am trying to setup my mackie 1202 vlz3 mixer with my RME fireface ucx ii. I want to be able to record in and also be able to monitor it out without changing around cables too much.

I want to record all of my instruments from my mixer to my RME and be able to monitor it over the speakers. Right now my Adam speakers are connected to the mackie via xlr cable (both ends) , mackie main out goes input 3 and 4 on the ucx ii, i tried the ucx ii stereo output to mixer's tape in input via 1/4" to rca cable but it did not work.

what is the best workflow ?
thx in advance

2 (edited by ramses 2023-08-21 20:27:50)

Re: fireface ucx ii - mixer - speaker connection

You omitted any information about your setup and what devices need to be connected.

Are the type and number of channels that the UCX II offers not enough for your setup?

The UCX II has surely better specs compared to everything on the Mackie.

Therefore, I would remove all unnecessary cabling / devices (mackie) and also connect the active monitors directly to the UCX II.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by cavidim 2023-08-21 21:04:48)

i chose ucx ii because it has enough inputs for my needs right now,  i am planning to do multitrack recording of my synths, everything is clear for me in this scenario. If i exclude the mixer and connect the monitor to the audio interface out's and it is all good.

The reason i wanted to use rme through my mixer is, sometimes (when practising for example) i want to use my mixer without using the laptop (and the total mix),  listen to my synths without booting the DAW up.

also one of my main concerns is that I want to minimize wire swapping..
on the other hand i know including the mixer brings some unwanted noise to the mix, but  having it in the setup- is very handy in terms of running aux/effects, monitor controlling, mixing duties of many instruments..

I ended up connecting my monitors to the UCX II outs. and in Total Mix 1/2 out are set up for monitoring.

5 (edited by ramses 2023-08-22 20:49:54)

Yes, you can store up to 6 different routings into the 6 config slots, that you can use in standalone mode.

Then you only need to turn on your UCX II, not more.

I am using then the UFX III with DURec for recording what I play. Like a tape deck.
With the ARC USB, you could even connect a simple foot switch to start / stop recording if I remember right.
If there is something which I like, then I can import the particular DURec file into the DAW (Cubase).

My setup: see pics in the blog article: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ent … iii-en-de/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13