Topic: How to turn on phantom power as a blind person?

Hi friends!

I'm getting a microphone to plug into my Babyface Pro FS! It requires 48V phantom power. However, I don't know how to turn on phantom power when connected to my PC. I find in the manual the following:

"IN gives access to Gain control and phantom power. Press IN several times to step through the inputs 1/2, 3/4 and Optical (SPDIF/ADAT). Press SELECT several times to step through left, right or both channels, as indicated by flashing LEDs. Then turn the wheel to change the gain, or press SET to activate phantom power (only in standalone mode). Phantom power is signalled by two orange LEDs at the bottom of meters 1 and 2."

Does this mean that I can't turn on phantom power physically using the buttons? If so, what to do when I need the phantom power switched on?

Also, in other news, how do I set the gain physically with the buttons? Can you explain and break down the steps, what buttons to press? Also, on an extended question, how to prevent one of the inputs to only come out of the left / right channel of my speakers? I want this one input to come out of both speakers.

Thank you very much for answering my questions! Hopefully I can get my first microphone setup well.

David

2 (edited by waedi 2023-08-18 00:29:53)

Re: How to turn on phantom power as a blind person?

Hi David
For the phantom-power : IN - SELECT -SELECT - SET
I'm not sure if you have to press the SELECT button one or two times. You have to test and memorize.
The Babyface has to be in standalone-mode
Switching on the unit without being connected to USB activates stand-alone mode.
For the gain : IN - SELECT -SELECT - wheel rotation
I'm not sure if you have to press the SELECT button one or two times. You have to test and memorize.
Panorama is not available in standalone-mode, when the sound comes out only left or right, it stays there.
Unfortunately the Babyface is not developed for blind persons but it has so much features, you will find the way.

Do you know wich button is IN or SELECT or SET etc ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

Switching on the unit without being connected to USB activates stand-alone mode.

I don't understand. I thought the Babyface can only be used with a USB connection, and it doesn't have a power button. I don't have a power supply, so I guess I can't activate standalone mode?

4 (edited by davidlaijiajun 2023-08-18 00:33:27)

waedi wrote:

Do you know wich button is IN or SELECT or SET etc ?

I do. Beginning with the first of 4 buttons lined up from left to right, above the big wheel, are "In", "Set", "Mix" and "Out." The "Select" button is to the bottom left of the Babyface Pro FS, located below the big wheel.

Exactly ! Step by step it comes alive !

6 (edited by waedi 2023-08-18 01:03:55)

i just found out
you have to press the SELECT button two times for second mic and once for the first mic for the phantom-power or gain.
This video is helpful, I think also when audio only.
https://youtu.be/BdDdUrGGYkg
The mic goes to both output, in stereo-centered in this video, so it should be good for you.

Interesting. It doesn't go into specifics about turning on phantom power. Did he turn on phantom power when connected to the computer via USB?

waedi wrote:

i just found out
you have to press the SELECT button two times for second mic and once for the first mic for the phantom-power or gain.
This video is helpful, I think also when audio only.
https://youtu.be/BdDdUrGGYkg
The mic goes to both output, in stereo-centered in this video, so it should be good for you.

8 (edited by waedi 2023-08-18 02:51:39)

No it was not connected, the video is about standalone-mode.
The SELECT button needs to press one time to select the first channel.
Second press jumps to the second channel.
Third press jumps to "both channels"
The wheel adjust gain and the SET button is for switching ON phantom-power

When your mic is connected to the first input it should go like this :
Press IN
press SELECT (press 2 times when mic is connected to the second input)
press SET

waedi wrote:

No it was not connected, the video is about standalone-mode.
The SELECT button needs to press one time to select the first channel.
Second press jumps to the second channel.
Third press jumps to "both channels"
The wheel adjust gain and the SET button is for switching ON phantom-power

When your mic is connected to the first input it should go like this :
Press IN
press SELECT (press 2 times when mic is connected to the second input)
press SET

I see. So he connected the Babyface with a power supply, right? Well, my setup at the moment doesn’t allow me to do so. Does this mean that I can never use the standalone mode of the interface? If that’s the case, then how do I turn on phantom power using my computer? Thanks!

10 (edited by waedi 2023-08-18 16:17:43)

Yes, standalone-mode has no USB connection.
But you can run it from a USB power charger from a mobilephone, instead of plug the USB connector into the computer, plug it into the wall-charger.
From the computer to switch on phantom-power it is in Totalmix.
The input channel has a button wrenchtool just above the EQ button.
Click the wrenchtool button does opening the input channel and a new field with buttons appear right side.
On the top there is a big button STEREO, it divides the stereo channel into two mono channels.
Below the Stereo button are two buttons, the first from left is 48V the phantom-power button.
The second button PAD is a pad for dimming the microphone.
Next below is the Gain knob, a rotating knob, click and hold on it and move the mouse up or down.

waedi wrote:

Yes, standalone-mode has no USB connection.
But you can run it from a USB power charger from a mobilephone, instead of plug the USB connector into the computer, plug it into the wall-charger.
From the computer to switch on phantom-power it is in Totalmix.
The input channel has a button wrenchtool just above the EQ button.
Click the wrenchtool button does opening the input channel and a new field with buttons appear right side.
On the top there is a big button STEREO, it divides the stereo channel into two mono channels.
Below the Stereo button are two buttons, the first from left is 48V the phantom-power button.
The second button PAD is a pad for dimming the microphone.
Next below is the Gain knob, a rotating knob, click and hold on it and move the mouse up or down.

Thank you for your reply, waedi. I have another idea -- if I email you my snapshot / workspace, can you create an alternative snapshot / workspace with the phantom power switched on for analogue input 1? Just curious. Thank you! smile

12 (edited by waedi 2023-08-19 02:03:47)

Ah ! Loading a snapshot where the phantom-power is on.
Good idea.
Yes we can try.
Please send via Forum email function.
Only problem it will take a few days, I don't have a interface here.
My interfaces are in the room I will be there Monday, eventually tomorrow or Sunday.
The Digiface USB that I have here has no mic inputs.

And the next problem :
I don't have a Babyface Pro FS
I don't know if it is possible to exchange workspace files between different types of interfaces.
My Madiface Pro looks like a Babyface Pro but it has MADI, the workspace has 56 more input and output channels as the Babyface.
I think we have to ask someone else here who owns a BF Pro FS.
Anyone ?

waedi wrote:

Ah ! Loading a snapshot where the phantom-power is on.
Good idea.
Yes we can try.
Please send via Forum email function.
Only problem it will take a few days, I don't have a interface here.
My interfaces are in the room I will be there Monday, eventually tomorrow or Sunday.
The Digiface USB that I have here has no mic inputs.

And the next problem :
I don't have a Babyface Pro FS
I don't know if it is possible to exchange workspace files between different types of interfaces.
My Madiface Pro looks like a Babyface Pro but it has MADI, the workspace has 56 more input and output channels as the Babyface.
I think we have to ask someone else here who owns a BF Pro FS.
Anyone ?

Ah, yes, if someone else owns a Babyface Pro FS and wouldn't mind working on my work space / snapshot file to get the phantom power on, as the Total Mix FX is not accessible by a screen reader. The menu bar is accessible, but if I want to change settings, none of this is operable by me, sadly! Thanks for any help!!!

Hi
Maybe it works with a Babyface pro (non FS) snapshot? I could send such a one.
I remember a post in this forum here with the question of loading UFX II snapshots on an UFX III. The answer was no, doesn’t work…
David, do you know what firmware your Babyface pro FS has? There are some (older) models using the same version as the non FS model.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Hi again
I just found out it's possible to assign either the A SET or MIX B or DIM button to phantom power on/off.
When TotalMix FX app is running and in the foreground it's
Menu - Options - ARC & Key Command Settings...
But sadly I don't know if the now opening settings window is accessible by the screen reader. Also I don't know if it's a good idea to set one of the buttons to a new function.

oli77sch wrote:

David, do you know what firmware your Babyface pro FS has?

Yes, it's firmware 205.

oli77sch wrote:

Hi again
I just found out it's possible to assign either the A SET or MIX B or DIM button to phantom power on/off.
When TotalMix FX app is running and in the foreground it's
Menu - Options - ARC & Key Command Settings...
But sadly I don't know if the now opening settings window is accessible by the screen reader. Also I don't know if it's a good idea to set one of the buttons to a new function.

I can read the dialog that opens, but sadly it looks like the settings are for the ARC USB and not the Babyface buttons. Here's some text I was able to get (note, you're seeing what my screen reader is saying).

Remote Controller Drop down, text edit,  Select (Default)
OUT Drop down, text edit,  Set Recall (press 2s; Default)
A Drop down, text edit,  TotalMix FX Mix Mode (Default)
B Drop down, text edit,  DIM Main Out (Default)
Function Keys Drop down, text edit,  Snapshot 1
Drop down, text edit,  Load
F4 Drop down, text edit,  Snapshot 2
F5 Drop down, text edit,  Snapshot 3
F6 Drop down, text edit,  Snapshot 4
F7 Drop down, text edit,  Snapshot 5

Any of this sound familiar to you?

Thanks!

David

davidlaijiajun wrote:
oli77sch wrote:

David, do you know what firmware your Babyface pro FS has?

Yes, it's firmware 205.

Same as my Babyface pro. I guess it would work then. If you want you can send me your snapshot. I would load it, enable phantom power and save it like this before I send it back to you.

davidlaijiajun wrote:

I can read the dialog that opens, but sadly it looks like the settings are for the ARC USB and not the Babyface buttons. Here's some text I was able to get (note, you're seeing what my screen reader is saying).

Remote Controller Drop down, text edit,  Select (Default)
OUT Drop down, text edit,  Set Recall (press 2s; Default)
A Drop down, text edit,  TotalMix FX Mix Mode (Default)

The drop down list includes about 40 entries. Phantom 1 and Phantom 2 are the last ones in that list.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The drop down list includes about 40 entries. Phantom 1 and Phantom 2 are the last ones in that list.

So which control do I choose to get to the Phantom Power selections? I can use the tab key to navigate that dialogue box.

21 (edited by oli77sch 2023-08-20 10:14:44)

davidlaijiajun wrote:
MC wrote:

So which control do I choose to get to the Phantom Power selections? I can use the tab key to navigate that dialogue box.

Hi David, I just sent the mail with the workspace files.
If you want to try to assign the phantom power on or off function to one of the hardware buttons, here come some informations:
In the window called "ARC and Key command settings", there are two tabs. The first one is just right and it's the one with the drop down menus you already got. It's selected by default after opening the settings window.
In the list there are 52 entries. As MC wrote, "phantom 1" and "phantom 2" are the last two ones, so numbers 51 and 52. For example: if you want to use the button A on the Babyface, you navigate to "A", using the tab key. Hitting the arrow down key, you open the list and the first entry is marked at the same time.
Now you have two possibilities. First one is to hit arrow down 51 times to reach "phantom 1" or of course 52 times to reach "phantom 2". Because this two entries are the only ones with the letter P, you also can hit the "P" key once as soon you have the list open to reach directly the entry "phantom 1". With one hit on arrow down you then reach "phantom 2".

To select "phantom 1" for button "A" it would be as follows:
Settings window is open. Then:
Tab, Tab, arrow down, P, enter, enter.
The second time "enter" means "ok" and window closing.

Second example:
To select "phantom 2" for button "DIM", settings window already open it would be:
tab, tab, tab, tab, arrow down, P, arrow down, enter, enter
Now it should be set and the window closed.

Note that after having done this settings, phantom power is still on the last state you had it before. You have to press the assigned button once to change that.
Another important thing is, all what I wrote above concerning the navigation in the settings window is only true as long the default settings are active. Sadly it changes as soon there are custom settings made for the buttons. There is a second column of drop down menus which becomes partially active when you assign a new function for a particular button. Using the tab key, it now jumps forth and back between the two columns and there would be another number of tab hits needed to reach the right drop down menu.

davidlaijiajun wrote:

So he connected the Babyface with a power supply, right? Well, my setup at the moment doesn’t allow me to do so. Does this mean that I can never use the standalone mode of the interface? If that’s the case, then how do I turn on phantom power using my computer? Thanks!

I do not have Babyface, but it should work, at least it works with Digiface USB... Beside external power source, or mobile phone USB charger, one may use powered USB hub that is temporarily disconected from PC. Or PC is not switched on. Or it might even work on some PC USB ports that keep powered even if computer is off (in that case no need for powered USB hub).

23 (edited by oli77sch 2023-08-20 11:20:19)

Kubrak wrote:
davidlaijiajun wrote:

So he connected the Babyface with a power supply, right? Well, my setup at the moment doesn’t allow me to do so. Does this mean that I can never use the standalone mode of the interface? If that’s the case, then how do I turn on phantom power using my computer? Thanks!

I do not have Babyface, but it should work, at least it works with Digiface USB... Beside external power source, or mobile phone USB charger, one may use powered USB hub that is temporarily disconected from PC. Or PC is not switched on. Or it might even work on some PC USB ports that keep powered even if computer is off (in that case no need for powered USB hub).

The Babyface pro (FS) has three independent working modes which are native driver on computer, class compliant on computer or mobile device and standalone mode without any connection to a computer. It would not help to enable phantom power in standalone mode because this setting wouldn’t stay active when connecting the interface to the computer after that. It would immediately load the settings and mixer state from the last TotalMix state on the computer.
It only works the other way round, the Babyface pro holds the last settings after switching off the computer as long it’s self powered (over a powered hub or a power adapter).

oli77sch wrote:
davidlaijiajun wrote:
MC wrote:

Hi David, I just sent the mail with the workspace files.
If you want to try to assign the phantom power on or off function to one of the hardware buttons, here come some informations:
In the window called "ARC and Key command settings", there are two tabs. The first one is just right and it's the one with the drop down menus you already got. It's selected by default after opening the settings window.
In the list there are 52 entries. As MC wrote, "phantom 1" and "phantom 2" are the last two ones, so numbers 51 and 52. For example: if you want to use the button A on the Babyface, you navigate to "A", using the tab key. Hitting the arrow down key, you open the list and the first entry is marked at the same time.
Now you have two possibilities. First one is to hit arrow down 51 times to reach "phantom 1" or of course 52 times to reach "phantom 2". Because this two entries are the only ones with the letter P, you also can hit the "P" key once as soon you have the list open to reach directly the entry "phantom 1". With one hit on arrow down you then reach "phantom 2".

To select "phantom 1" for button "A" it would be as follows:
Settings window is open. Then:
Tab, Tab, arrow down, P, enter, enter.
The second time "enter" means "ok" and window closing.

Second example:
To select "phantom 2" for button "DIM", settings window already open it would be:
tab, tab, tab, tab, arrow down, P, arrow down, enter, enter
Now it should be set and the window closed.

Note that after having done this settings, phantom power is still on the last state you had it before. You have to press the assigned button once to change that.
Another important thing is, all what I wrote above concerning the navigation in the settings window is only true as long the default settings are active. Sadly it changes as soon there are custom settings made for the buttons. There is a second column of drop down menus which becomes partially active when you assign a new function for a particular button. Using the tab key, it now jumps forth and back between the two columns and there would be another number of tab hits needed to reach the right drop down menu.

I see. OK, thanks for explaining, Oli! So, how to know which button on the display interface matches a given button on the babyface? Thanks!

There is no display interface with buttons other than Totalmix.
Oli described a step-by-step instruction to assign the Babyface buttons "A SET" or "DIM" to phantom-power ON/OFF
You have to open the Fireface USB Settings dialog window.
Then follow thru the instruction.
Tell us if you understand this : Tab, Tab, arrow down, P, enter, enter

waedi wrote:

There is no display interface with buttons other than Totalmix.
Oli described a step-by-step instruction to assign the Babyface buttons "A SET" or "DIM" to phantom-power ON/OFF
You have to open the Fireface USB Settings dialog window.
Then follow thru the instruction.
Tell us if you understand this : Tab, Tab, arrow down, P, enter, enter

The problem now when opening Total Mix FX and the ARC Key Commands settings is, I press the Tab keys, I get controls for "OUT," "A", "B", "Function Keys", Then F4 to F7. Which key is the Function and which is Dim? Thanks! smile

Oh my bad error I was on the Babyface only, I did overlook you and Oli are on the ARC.
I think it's easier to stay on one device, as the Babyface has this buttons.
The remapping of these buttons is part of Totalmix options.

waedi wrote:

Oh my bad error I was on the Babyface only, I did overlook you and Oli are on the ARC.
I think it's easier to stay on one device, as the Babyface has this buttons.
The remapping of these buttons is part of Totalmix options.

No, I'm on my Babyface only, I don't have the ARC. I'm just telling you what I "see" when I open the "arc key commands" in the Total Mix settings. That's the only way I can find controls and customization of button features.

Ahh then everything is fine, That is the same for the ARC device and for the Babyface.
Then the settings window is not the Fireface USB Settings dialog, it is the settings window of the Totalmix options.
From there you should be able to work thru the instructions...?

waedi wrote:

Ahh then everything is fine, That is the same for the ARC device and for the Babyface.
Then the settings window is not the Fireface USB Settings dialog, it is the settings window of the Totalmix options.

I can't, the Tab presses doesn't match the buttons. Like I said above, there's only out, A, B, function keys, then F4 through F7. This is for the ARC, I guess? In the "Remote Controller" dropdown, I have two options: "Select (Default)" and "Speaker B (AN1/2, Phones, ADAT1/2)".

Well, this is getting kind of complicated.

oli77sch wrote:

It would not help to enable phantom power in standalone mode because this setting wouldn’t stay active when connecting the interface to the computer after that. It would immediately load the settings and mixer state from the last TotalMix state on the computer.
It only works the other way round, the Babyface pro holds the last settings after switching off the computer as long it’s self powered (over a powered hub or a power adapter).

OK, you are right. I forgot about that.

But, it happens to me from time to time with RME interfaces, that TotalMix tells me that there is different configuration in interface than in TotalMix and TM asks me which one I want to keep, the one in interface or the one in TotalMix.

So under certain conditions it is posiible to keep interface set as it is despite TotalMix settings...

I have Fireface 802, UC, UCX and Digiface USB. Not sure if all exhibit such a behaviour....

davidlaijiajun wrote:
waedi wrote:

I can't, the Tab presses doesn't match the buttons. Like I said above, there's only out, A, B, function keys, then F4 through F7. This is for the ARC, I guess? In the "Remote Controller" dropdown, I have two options: "Select (Default)" and "Speaker B (AN1/2, Phones, ADAT1/2)".

But Olis instructions matches. Tap Tap is then going to A
And this is the button on the Babyface

The Keys F4 to F7 are keyboard keys on the computer keyboard, ignore this.

Kubrak wrote:
oli77sch wrote:

It would not help to enable phantom power in standalone mode because this setting wouldn’t stay active when connecting the interface to the computer after that. It would immediately load the settings and mixer state from the last TotalMix state on the computer.

OK, you are right. I forgot about that.

But, it happens to me from time to time with RME interfaces, that TotalMix tells me that there is different configuration in interface than in TotalMix and TM asks me which one I want to keep, the one in interface or the one in TotalMix.

So under certain conditions it is posiible to keep interface set as it is despite TotalMix settings...

I have Fireface 802, UC, UCX and Digiface USB. Not sure if all exhibit such a behaviour....

There are different concepts on RME interfaces. Some of them have an internal memory for user TotalMix configurations. The Babyface models don’t have. I don’t know how it is on the original model. The pro and pro FS have a separate standalone mode which is independent from the native driver computer mode. It’s not possible to configure the unit on the computer for standalone uses. Only exception is what I wrote above, having the Babyface still powered after disconnecting it from the computer or switching the computer off.

davidlaijiajun wrote:
waedi wrote:

Sorry David, I think my instructions were a bit confusing.
It’s because not every hardware button on the Babyface pro can be configured to the same values. So the list with the dropdown menues doesn’t match exactly the hardware buttons. The settings window is made for both, the ARC as well as for the Babyface pro. Having connected a Babyface pro, TotalMix app recognise it correctly and disables some options in the settings window which only would work with the ARC. What I described before was meant for the Babyface pro. I also don’t have an ARC.

oli77sch wrote:

It’s not possible to configure the unit on the computer for standalone uses. Only exception is what I wrote above, having the Babyface still powered after disconnecting it from the computer or switching the computer off.

But I meant it vice versa. That if one modifies setup of BF while unit standalone, maybe when again reconnected to PC TM would ask whether use current BF setting or load TM setting to BF. TM may know that reconnected BF does not have factory settings, so it may assume, one might want to keep current BF settings and not want to rewrite it by TM settings.

The steps would be:
1) Have BF connected to PC, load desired snapshot.
2) Force BF to standalone mode (switch off PC or use powered USB hub and disconnect it from PC) and change BF settings
3) Force BF into nonstandalone mode (switch on PC, or connect PC to powered USB hub). TM might ask what to do, or not. I do not know and cannot test, I do not have BF.

I could try it with DIGIface USB that might behave similar like BF. It also does not have memory to store settings for use on next power on if standalone.

As I wrote, time from time TM asks me if current interface setup should be used (loaded to TM) or TM setting should be sent to RME device. I am not sure under what conditions that happens...

oli77sch wrote:

Sorry David, I think my instructions were a bit confusing.
It’s because not every hardware button on the Babyface pro can be configured to the same values. So the list with the dropdown menues doesn’t match exactly the hardware buttons. The settings window is made for both, the ARC as well as for the Babyface pro. Having connected a Babyface pro, TotalMix app recognise it correctly and disables some options in the settings window which only would work with the ARC. What I described before was meant for the Babyface pro. I also don’t have an ARC.

I see. OK, so which control should I tab to?

Starting on the tab selector, then I press tab. I'll tell you what I hear:

1. Save button;
2. Load button;
3. Remote Controller dropdown;
4. Out dropdown;
5. A dropdown;
6. B dropdown;
7. Function Keys dropdown.

These are the first 7 controls I can visit with my screen reader. Which physical button matches which control on the Babyface Pro?

Thank you!

David

It is indeed unclear. The user manual is missing details about this.
Number 5 A
Try this one, it can be the A SET button, second button from left above the big rotary wheel knob

waedi wrote:

Number 5 A
Try this one, it can be the A SET button, second button from left above the big rotary wheel knob

But do I need to use this button when adjusting microphone gain / volume?

No, the SET button is good for being the phantom-power switch.
From the user manual :
Press IN several times to step through the inputs 1/2, 3/4 and Optical (SPDIF/ADAT).
Press SELECT several times to step through left, right or both channels.
Then turn the wheel to change the gain

waedi wrote:

From the user manual :
Press IN several times to step through the inputs 1/2, 3/4 and Optical (SPDIF/ADAT).

So the "select" button is still used to set the gain, so I can't use it to turn on or off phantom power.

41 (edited by waedi 2023-08-21 03:48:20)

The SELECT button is bottom left on the surface of the Babyface.
The "A SET" button is top second from left.

42 (edited by oli77sch 2023-08-21 07:41:08)

Kubrak wrote:
oli77sch wrote:

It’s not possible to configure the unit on the computer for standalone uses. Only exception is what I wrote above, having the Babyface still powered after disconnecting it from the computer or switching the computer off.

But I meant it vice versa. That if one modifies setup of BF while unit standalone, maybe when again reconnected to PC TM would ask whether use current BF setting or load TM setting to BF. TM may know that reconnected BF does not have factory settings, so it may assume, one might want to keep current BF settings and not want to rewrite it by TM settings.

The steps would be:
1) Have BF connected to PC, load desired snapshot.
2) Force BF to standalone mode (switch off PC or use powered USB hub and disconnect it from PC) and change BF settings
3) Force BF into nonstandalone mode (switch on PC, or connect PC to powered USB hub). TM might ask what to do, or not. I do not know and cannot test, I do not have BF.

I could try it with DIGIface USB that might behave similar like BF. It also does not have memory to store settings for use on next power on if standalone.

As I wrote, time from time TM asks me if current interface setup should be used (loaded to TM) or TM setting should be sent to RME device. I am not sure under what conditions that happens...

It’s not the case with the Babyface pro. At least not with mine on my two Macs. Going from standalone mode to native driver mode, there is no asking alert from Totalmix. It simply loads the last used mixer state. I tried it several times, especially with different phantom power settings. You have to know, the Babyface pro in standalone mode is behaving different. For example there are only two digital input and output channels, ADAT 3-8 aren’t available. There is no panning and there are no effects or EQ. So in short, on the Babyface pro the standalone functionality is really different, for this it makes no sense to keep the settings when going from one mode to the other. Only exception is, when keeping the unit powered after disconnecting it from the computer. In this case some settings stay active, like phantom power on/off and also the EQ.

OK, it was just my guess, it could work so. Just for curiosity, I will try with Digiface USB.

davidlaijiajun wrote:
waedi wrote:

From the user manual :

So the "select" button is still used to set the gain, so I can't use it to turn on or off phantom power.

Hi David, as Waedi writes, the A button would probably be a good choice to use it for the phantom power on/off. As he says, it’s the second button from left on the upper row of four buttons.
Your description of the settings window with the drop down menus differs from what I have on my Mac. It may be because the screen reader follows another way to describe it, or it may be simply different on Windows and macOS. That’s why my description of tab and arrow hits doesn’t really work. Sorry, I didn’t consider that. Anyway, if you can find and open the drop down menu for the A button, that would be a huge step forward. Does the screenreader help to find the right entry in this long list of the dropdown menu? If you can find 'phantom 1', select it and save it. Maybe also here the settings dialogue differ between Windows and macOS, so sadly I can give you adequate advise here.

Oh wow, I was very much confused. Even the hints at the buttons is mixed up!

Yesterday, Oli on this forum sent me a workspace where the mix/set (A) button is set to phantom power. Today I looked at the arc key commands settings and this is what I found:

OUT dropdown text edit Phantom 1
dropdown text edit Toggle
A dropdown text edit TotalMix FX Mix Mode (Default)
B dropdown text edit DIM Main Out (Default)

So, according to my screen reader, the "out" button is now set to "phantom 1." But when I pressed the "out" button, it switches between the available outputs I have on the Babyface.

This can only mean one thing -- the Total Mix FX interface has really bad accessibility, that my screen reader reports the wrong button / control adjusting various features. This is very sad!

David

46 (edited by waedi 2023-08-22 20:31:00)

Was a condenser microphone connected to the. input 1 ?
Did it not switch on ?
Could be a mistake in the workspace...
why is DIM under button B ?
Is this DIM working ?

waedi wrote:

Was a condenser microphone connected to the. input 1 ?
Did it not switch on ?
Could be a mistake in the workspace...
why is DIM under button B ?
Is this DIM working ?

I'll get the microphone later today (just heard it was delivered and I'll pick it up this evening), so I can't tell if 48V Phantom Power is engaged till I plug the microphone in. But what's confusing to me was the interface. Oli told me he got button "A" as phantom power, but it had been reported incorrectly by my screen reader to be the "out" dropdown menu. This is because of the design of the Total Mix FX interface has problems, unfortunately.

Hope this now makes a bit more sense.

David

48 (edited by waedi 2023-08-22 20:35:57)

May you try the B button for checking DIM ? Would be interesting if there is a correlation from the screen reader to the interface.

Sorry to hear about the confusion, David. I just double checked the workspace file I've sent you. I opened it now on my Macbook which has an older macOS version than the Mac mini where I created and saved the file yesterday. I can ensure you, there is all as it should be. Phantom power for first mic input channel is assigned to button 'A SET'. And with my Babyface pro it works. So I would suggest to try, if the 'A SET' button on your Babyface pro FS toggles between phantom power on and off. I guess, it's the screenreader reporting incorrectly the dropdown list.

50 (edited by oli77sch 2023-08-22 21:40:32)

...and a few minutes later I proudly can reveal the secret!!!
I read through again the screen reader output that you, David, posted here on Saturday. I compared it with the settings window on my Mac and found the following:
The screen reader first reports the drop-down menu with the first item at the top of the list, then the title of that menu. One would naturally expect it the other way round.
So if it reports the letter "A" after the message "Phantom 1", that's perfectly fine! Even if it is not so logical...