1 (edited by Dave_Mal 2023-08-22 16:48:15)

Topic: Babyface Pro FS - input/output audio routing

Hi,

I have a strange issue - even when the Babyface is not connected to my laptop and not powered on. The sound coming into either XLR IN is coming out of my monitors (reasonably quietly). This only stops if I disconnect the cables from the Babyface.

When the Babyface is connected to the laptop - there is no way to mute the sound coming into either input, it is unaffected by the volume controls and is separate to monitoring the input. I can raise/lower the volume on the signal monitor, but when I turn monitoring off, the quieter sound remains.

I am running a guitar amp into a Suhr Reactive Load IR, then connecting from the Suhr using a balanced cable to the Babyface.

Suhr Reactive Load IR -> BabyFace (In 1 or 2) -> (Outs 1 & 2) -> Powered Monitors.

I'm hoping this is something I'm doing wrong, has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
Dave

Re: Babyface Pro FS - input/output audio routing

Is it the same on headphones out?

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

oli77sch wrote:

Is it the same on headphones out?

The sound doesn't come through when using headphones in the headphones out.. only through the main monitor out

Ok. And if the issue occurs, is there a visible signal in TotalMix hardware output AN1/2 and/or on the LED level meters on the Babyface itself?

5 (edited by Dave_Mal 2023-08-22 18:49:22)

When the babyface is on
On the Babyface hardware:
The input LEDs on the front are showing the incoming signal
The output side shows no LEDs/Signal - as that is muted.

In Totalmix:
AN1 shows the incoming signal
Main shows nothing (as it is muted) - but the dulled quiet signal from the input is coming through the monitors

When the babyface is disconnected from the laptop - turned off with no power - nothing lights up at all.. but the sound comes through the connected speakers. The speakers are only connected to the Babyface.

I initially thought it was a setting in my OS for the microphone - however this still happens when disconnected from the laptop.

Is there power to the bfp? If there is then my guess is it’s working in standalone mode.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

mkok wrote:

Is there power to the bfp? If there is then my guess is it’s working in standalone mode.

When I disconnect it from my laptop - it is completely unpowered, nothing lit up... I only power it through USB - I don't have a separate PSU for it.

Are these cables XLR to monojack ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

9 (edited by Dave_Mal 2023-08-22 20:56:26)

waedi wrote:

The cable from the Suhr RL IR to the Babyface is a balanced jack to XLR cable
I have also tried a balanced jack to jack cable to IN 3 - which results in the same.
I've also tried an unbalanced jack to jack cable to IN 3, which is also the same.

The cables from the Babyface to the monitors are balanced XLR to XLR cables.

If the Babyface is powered on or not - some signal is making it through from the INs to the OUTs.

Dave_Mal wrote:
waedi wrote:

The cable from the Suhr RL IR to the Babyface is a balanced jack to XLR cable
I have also tried a balanced jack to jack cable to IN 3 - which results in the same.
I've also tried an unbalanced jack to jack cable to IN 3, which is also the same.

The cables from the Babyface to the monitors are balanced XLR to XLR cables.

If the Babyface is powered on or not - some signal is making it through from the INs to the OUTs.

How can this be possible? There is no direct analog connection between inputs and outputs.

oli77sch wrote:

How can this be possible? There is no direct analog connection between inputs and outputs.

I have no idea, I'm generally very good at troubleshooting these kind of issues, but its something that makes no logical sense to me, which is why I joined the forum to ask the question here.

I guess there must be some kind of path the signal can take - if the signal is passing through the babyface while it is powered off.

Its also completely unaffected by any changes in Totalmix - the only time its not noticeable is when I'm actively monitoring the input, and that is only because the unwanted sound is quieter. The problem is it contains a lot of low end, so I can't monitor what I'm doing, as what is coming out of the speakers isn't an accurate representation of what is going on.

I've submitted a support request with RME - hopefully there is either an obscure logical reason - or a fix.

I bought the Babyface new a few weeks ago - so I should hopefully be covered for any issues.

Maybe some deep frequencies finding a way from one plug to the other over the housing of the Babyface or somewhat similar. For sure nothing related to TotalMix.

Btw this is the second strange issue reported here within a few days. The other is this here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 21#p206421
The two cases are even not that far from each other.

The behaviour of an unpowered device is not defined. A bit crosstalk from in to out could happen, but then again without power it doesn't matter., this state is not defned, so whatever happens is what happens.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The behaviour of an unpowered device is not defined. A bit crosstalk from in to out could happen, but then again without power it doesn't matter., this state is not defned, so whatever happens is what happens.

Thanks for the reply - I appreciate the behaviour when the device is not powered is not in spec/undefined... however this is also happening when the device is powered and being used as intended.

In powered state crosstalk from in to out can only happen with a gross setup error, broken cables, immensive ground loop or missing ground...etc.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME