1 (edited by studiosef 2023-08-27 20:43:52)

Topic: Wich hardware for sound design on nuendo

Hello all,

So i'm a sound designer and i would buy an axr4 from steinberg but card is over and so i'm looking for a RME product instead.

But i need little help, after searching many things, i selected 2 products

ucx 2
adi 2 dac fs

so i need, powerful dsp for plug ins
i need nice converter and sound
i need it works well in nuendo
2 monitoring out
i need loopback

So for you is it  the best choice for producing and mixing sound, radio mix tv show etc...No music or mastring or recording

i didn't keep ufx2 because it's just adding in out i don't need

greetings

2 (edited by ramses 2023-08-27 21:59:20)

Re: Wich hardware for sound design on nuendo

I would recommend you to take a recording interface with TotalMix FX which gives you more flexibility compared to the fix routing modes of reference converter ADI-2 DAC FS which does not support TotalMix FX.

So UCX II would be fine for you.

You can also add an ADI-2 DAC FS or Pro FS for monitoring to get the unique features of the ADI-2 DAC/Pro. Or alternatively ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

If you want to compare some recording interfaces (except PCIe-based ones) then you can use my Excel here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35156

For the integration of ADI-2 DAC/PRO into your environment, look here:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/

This blog article provides information about the different Reference converters (except latest ADI-2/4 Pro SE) and their unique features: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … ses-EN-DE/

Ideal combination:
UCX II and then ADI-2 Pro FS through AES, then you have still the ADAT port free for connecting other devices (up to 8 ch).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by waedi 2023-08-28 01:23:20)

studiosef wrote:

What Plugins are these ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

4 (edited by ramses 2023-08-28 07:08:17)

> So for you is it  the best choice for producing and mixing sound, radio mix tv show etc...No music or mastring or recording

I would still recommend taking a device with TotalMix FX as a digital mixer.
So that you have a certain flexibility in terms of signal routing.

What's unclear to me, what devices you want to connect? Mics, headphones, …?

> so i need, powerful dsp for plug ins

Some RME units have built-in FX, but this is more something to give a vocalist reverb when singing in.
If you need high-quality FX, then you need to use VST/VSTi, which run on your PC in the DAW.
There you have also higher scalability in terms of computing power.
If you look at UAD .. there you see how lame (slow) DSPs can be and that you would require plenty of their cards to be able to run several instances of DSP hungry FX. I think therefore their approach to go "native" .. plugins that do not require DSPs but use the CPU of the PC where we have a lot of CPU power and high numbers of cores with an also high single thread performance which is also needed.

Maybe this question, to iron out your demand: what is the key reason for you to consider getting a recording interface and not a PC consumer sound card? If you could answer this one it would be easier to get your expectations and demand.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

I would recommend you to take a recording interface with TotalMix FX which gives you more flexibility compared to the fix routing modes of reference converter ADI-2 DAC FS which does not support TotalMix FX.

So UCX II would be fine for you.

You can also add an ADI-2 DAC FS or Pro FS for monitoring to get the unique features of the ADI-2 DAC/Pro. Or alternatively ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

If you want to compare some recording interfaces (except PCIe-based ones) then you can use my Excel here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35156

For the integration of ADI-2 DAC/PRO into your environment, look here:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/

This blog article provides information about the different Reference converters (except latest ADI-2/4 Pro SE) and their unique features: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … ses-EN-DE/

Ideal combination:
UCX II and then ADI-2 Pro FS through AES, then you have still the ADAT port free for connecting other devices (up to 8 ch).

Thnak you for your answer i feel it like a good solution

waedi wrote:
studiosef wrote:

What Plugins are these ?

I have waves, fab filter, steinberg and other, i use many things like vibrato, volcano etc for make original fx. i can have 10 tracks of fx or many fx on separately object, it can be heavy

ramses wrote:

> So for you is it  the best choice for producing and mixing sound, radio mix tv show etc...No music or mastring or recording

I would still recommend taking a device with TotalMix FX as a digital mixer.
So that you have a certain flexibility in terms of signal routing.

What's unclear to me, what devices you want to connect? Mics, headphones, …?

> so i need, powerful dsp for plug ins

Some RME units have built-in FX, but this is more something to give a vocalist reverb when singing in.
If you need high-quality FX, then you need to use VST/VSTi, which run on your PC in the DAW.
There you have also higher scalability in terms of computing power.
If you look at UAD .. there you see how lame (slow) DSPs can be and that you would require plenty of their cards to be able to run several instances of DSP hungry FX. I think therefore their approach to go "native" .. plugins that do not require DSPs but use the CPU of the PC where we have a lot of CPU power and high numbers of cores with an also high single thread performance which is also needed.

Maybe this question, to iron out your demand: what is the key reason for you to consider getting a recording interface and not a PC consumer sound card? If you could answer this one it would be easier to get your expectations and demand.

I need 2 out, one for my yamaha and other for generic dekstop audio speakers, and a tc eletcronics 96k finalizer, no hardware effect

For vst i use steinberg native wich are good, like their instruments, waves, fab filter, some little others too. I have a ryzen 7 5800x

i need loopback !! very important

studiosef wrote:

Loopback is integrated in TotalMix, so you have this option available on all RME interfaces (but not on the ADI-2 converter series).

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

10 (edited by ramses 2023-08-28 12:39:19)

oli77sch wrote:
studiosef wrote:

Loopback is integrated in TotalMix, so you have this option available on all RME interfaces (but not on the ADI-2 converter series).

Sorry, wrong. Loopback exists for ADI-2 DAC/Pro for around 2 years.
Since July 2021 for ADI-2 DAC and Dec 2021 for the ADI-2 Pro.
Check out README of fut-tool or look at the manual p 23, p 33, chapter 17.4.3 p 41, p 81, p 96.

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2profsr_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2profsr_e.pdf

More ease of use and flexibility you have when using loopback in TotalMix FX.
TM FX alone gives you much more useful options and an excellent designed DSP mixer to create any kind of needed mixes, monitoring mixes … Whatever is needed.

You can even install TM FX Remote on any remote computer to remote control TM FX via LAN or Wireless network, which gives you an ultimate flexibility in terms of operation.

ramses wrote:
oli77sch wrote:
studiosef wrote:

Sorry, wrong. Loopback exists for ADI-2 DAC/Pro for around 2 years.
Since July 2021 for ADI-2 DAC and Dec 2021 for the ADI-2 Pro. Check out README of fut-tool.

My bad, sorry!

i don't really need to have total mix, nuendo is ok for make all, so? jjust adi then?

13 (edited by ramses 2023-08-28 16:26:14)

If you know that you do not really need any of TM FX or UCX II features, get ADI-2 Pro FS R BE.
SRC could be useful and to have two equal headphone outputs.
Some people prefer AKM converter for DSD direct and to have the AKM D/A filter.

thanks guys for helped me

so a ADI-2 Pro FS R BE has good converter and loopback, and solid for vst isn't it?

15 (edited by oli77sch 2023-08-28 17:13:00)

studiosef wrote:

thanks guys for helped me

so a ADI-2 Pro FS R BE has good converter and loopback, and solid for vst isn't it?

It has excellent converters and - I learned that now - it has loopback. It absolutely doesn't matter regarding VST processing, that happens on the CPU of your computer.

perfect ths guys, god bless you

Last question, a rack version exist?

18 (edited by ramses 2023-08-28 18:06:27)

ADI-2 Pro FS was the last device with holes for rack mounts.
But you can use according manual ch 15 "Accessory"
Unirack Universal rackmount adapter (tub for two 9.5" devices)

See also this thread
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 59#p189559

Seems to be that Unirack was replaced by RME Uni-Rack II
https://www.thomann.de/de/rme_halterung_19.htm

Perfect smile