1 (edited by gutr2 2023-09-02 22:30:00)

Topic: [Solved] Logic Pro does NOT see inputs from RME UFX's AES/EBU inputs

I've just switched to a new M2 mac mini, running the latest Ventura 13.5.1, and 10.7.8.

I'm trying to record - I see the audio coming in to Total Mix (and hear it), but Logic does not show any audio coming from those channels (in my case channels 13 & 14).
Any audio coming from the UFX's own input channels are ok (1-12).

Pretty sure there's nothing else going on with hardware, etc.. as I've been using this exact setup (with my older mac) for many years.

I don't have another DAW to see if the problem is with Logic, or something else going on.

Any ideas please?
Thank you so much in advance.

2 (edited by waedi 2023-09-02 22:28:22)

Re: [Solved] Logic Pro does NOT see inputs from RME UFX's AES/EBU inputs

Playing something from Logic is this going thru Totalmix and audible ?

How many Input channels are available in Logic ?

Sure in MacOS Preferences Security & Privacy - Microphone : Totalmix is enabled ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Only "Logic Pro" shows under microphone in Security & Privacy.
How would I add Total Mix there? I don't see an option to "add" anything.

Logic shows all the inputs correctly, but no audio hitting the meters for the channels with input 13&14. I can do multi-track recording, all other channels work as normal, except 13&14.

5 (edited by waedi 2023-09-03 01:38:29)

Cheap workaround I can offer is recording this signal via Loopback, but this is not the solution you ask for.

Sure in Totalmix on Hardware Output channel 13/14 Loopback is not active ? !
Open the Hardware Output channel with the wrenchtool button, see the Loopback button.
Switch that off !

You checked the Settings dialog and that AES is set up correctly to work with the (unmentioned) XLR input? And that the sample rate is identical and SYNC is shown for this input?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

What driver version do you use for the UFX? And what connection, USB or FireWire (to Thunderbolt)?
You say, all other channels work. So ch. 15 and up are ok?
Check once the Audio-Midi-Setup app. All settings fine there?

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Thanks for your input, I will check the loopback is off.

waedi wrote:

Cheap workaround I can offer is recording this signal via Loopback, but this is not the solution you ask for.

Open the Hardware Output channel with the wrenchtool button, see the Loopback button.
Switch that off !

Thank you Matias,

I will double check (I'm not home now) but I did check all the settings.. I have been using this same setup for over a decade (although with another mac).
Yes I get "synch" and I tried to set the master clock to both internal and external (through AES and Wordclock). As you can imagine I use another converter (Forssell MADA-2) into the UFX's AES i/o.

Like I said, I get the audio into Totalmix, I can see it and hear it as normal, but when I open Logic I see nothing into inputs 13 & 14.

I had mics plugged into the UFX's front channels and back (7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, & 14) I get everything coming through to Logic, except 13 and 14 (AES).

So it's either : RME not sending audio from AES input into the computer (or blocked by the OS?), or something to do with Logic Pro.

As someone pointed out, I do not have Totalmix in "Privacy & Security" > Microphone. And I don't know how to add it? (no plus button anywhere)

I will test it with another DAW (not currently installed), and test another USB cable too.

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

MC wrote:

You checked the Settings dialog and that AES is set up correctly to work with the (unmentioned) XLR input? And that the sample rate is identical and SYNC is shown for this input?

Thanks for that.
I will check what version when I get home. I use USB straight into an M2 Mac Mini.
I didn't test channels 15 and up (those are ADAT and I have nothing connected to them), but I did test 7-12, all work fine.

Do you think I should test those too, what would that tell me?

Everything looks good in audio-midi. I tried the UFX by itself and as an aggregate device in conjunction with my Dangerous Music Source (for DAC monitoring), which is my normal setup.

oli77sch wrote:

What driver version do you use for the UFX? And what connection, USB or FireWire (to Thunderbolt)?
You say, all other channels work. So ch. 15 and up are ok?
Check once the Audio-Midi-Setup app. All settings fine there?

gutr2 wrote:

Thanks for that.
I will check what version when I get home. I use USB straight into an M2 Mac Mini.
I didn't test channels 15 and up (those are ADAT and I have nothing connected to them), but I did test 7-12, all work fine.

Do you think I should test those too, what would that tell me?

Everything looks good in audio-midi. I tried the UFX by itself and as an aggregate device in conjunction with my Dangerous Music Source (for DAC monitoring), which is my normal setup.

Since you write in your initial post, in TotalMix all is fine and you can see and hear the inputs 13/14 (direct monitoring) in my opinion there probably is something wrong with the transmission over USB to the Mac. Or kind of channel limitation within macOS / core audio. If the channels 15 and up also don't work, it would confirm such an issue.

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

gutr2 wrote:

Thanks for your input, I will check the loopback is off.

waedi wrote:

Switch that off !

Did you look at the Loopback ?

UPDATE: I re-installed UFX's drivers, ran the flash tool, allowed Logic (and Ableton Live) it in security & privacy > microphone, changed the USB cable, and still NOT WORKING.

Same problem. I plugged a mic into channel 12, and 1 into channel 13.
12 is the UFX's mic input, 13 is coming externally from another preamp/converter into the UFX's AES input.

I get signal on both in Totalmix, but in Logic (and Ableton Live) I ONLY get 12.

So it seems the UFX is not passing the audio from the AES inputs into the computer?? So weird.
Any more ideas please?

BTW, I've had this UFX and been using MOSTLY it's AES inputs for MANY years. The only change I've made recently was to change my Mac Mini to the latest M2 (and Ventura)

UPDATE 2:

OH MY OH MY!!! For some reason the "loopback" button was turned on on the AES output. I turned it off and now it's all back to normal!! I'm really not sure how that happened, but it's been a worthy albeit frustrating exercise. There's learning in everything eh?

Thanks everyone!

RESOLVED

15 (edited by waedi 2023-09-04 22:30:12)

glad you got progress !

Keep in mind, if you get lost in Totalmix, there in menu Option - Reset Options - Total Reset
Do a Total Reset and try again.