1 (edited by darkstar 2023-09-02 23:57:37)

Topic: Is there a faster interface than FF400 when working only with VSTi's?

So, I have this dilemma. I have some very large projects in my DAW (Cakewalk) that is giving me a headache because they're so massive and so extremely slow to work with. Many tracks (sometimes 100-150 tracks) of which many are live VSTi's with VST effects, or audio tracks with VST effects.

• Today I use the Fireface 400 via a PCIe FW interface on an Intel 10850K with 64gb DDR4 RAM. The buffer size for the FF400 is already set on MAX.

• But I intend to upgrade to a 13900K with a minimum of 64gb DDR5 RAM, but maybe even 128gb.

However, I'm wondering if there's anything I could do also on the audio interface side to speed things up?

There's at least two new RME products out, the 802 FS and the UFX III, while the FF400 is getting very outdated.

In a situation where I'm working only with softsynths (VSTi's, VST FX), inside the DAW, is there anything to win speed wise by upgrading to a newer RME interface? Or does the latency improvements mostly concern AD/DA conversion when using the inputs/outputs?

Would I perhaps be able to run just as smooth on the minimum buffer size with the newest RME, as the maximum buffer size with the much older FF400?

PS. Yes, I know I can freeze tracks and decrease the amount of tracks to speed things up. That is not really the question in this case, but thanks anyway smile DS.

Re: Is there a faster interface than FF400 when working only with VSTi's?

I would try to borrow a newer interface for testing.
It looks like your computer is at the limit with the amount of VSTs.
Another interface will not help.
If the other interface comes with even more input and output channels (Madi), it gets worse for the computer.
I would test a Babyface Pro or just a Digiface USB.
The UCX ll is probably what comes closest to the FF400 by the inputs and outputs if you need those.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by darkstar 2023-09-03 00:33:27)

waedi wrote:

I would try to borrow a newer interface for testing.
It looks like your computer is at the limit with the amount of VSTs.
Another interface will not help.
If the other interface comes with even more input and output channels (Madi), it gets worse for the computer.
I would test a Babyface Pro or just a Digiface USB.
The UCX ll is probably what comes closest to the FF400 by the inputs and outputs if you need those.

Thanks!
I actually don't need so many in- and outputs. Of course, I will need some of them so a Babyface might be a bit tight. I think I need at least something the size of the FF400, so UCX or so at minimum, so I'm future proof.

4 (edited by ramses 2023-09-03 06:10:30)

A Recording Interface is not an Audio Accelerator, and even companies like UAD have their own challenges with DSP power in this regard, limiting the number of plugins that can be used. The problem with audio processing is that it needs to be done in real-time; you can't buffer it at will. The more and the more CPU-intensive VSTi and VST plugins you use, the more computational power your computer needs to process the data in a timely manner.

That's why, in a project, you may need to increase the ASIO buffer size (or use different buffers on Apple devices) to give your computer enough time to calculate audio data and perform I/O, or else you may experience audio dropouts. Additionally, Windows and macOS operating systems were not originally designed for real-time tasks. While they can now handle many tasks "within their capabilities" quickly, there are no guarantees about when these tasks will be executed.

Adding to the challenge, low-level routines (drivers) on CPUs are generally given priority to ensure data integrity in non-real-time operating systems. A running driver cannot be interrupted by the process scheduler; driver code can only interrupt itself and release a CPU core for other tasks. This works to varying degrees depending on how well the CPU is suited for the task (Single Core vs. Multi-Core Performance) and the quality of the drivers (DPC Latency). In the worst case, even the fastest computer can be slowed down by poor drivers, making it unsuitable for real-time audio processing.

This is just the hardware side of the issue. There's just as much that can go wrong in the realm of application software:
1. poorly written DAW software
2. CPU-hungry VSTi/VST plugins
3. poor or inefficient project organization, and
4. how well a DAW can utilize multiple CPU cores.

Regarding these points:

to 1. For poorly written DAW software, I would recommend sticking to established products from reputable manufacturers.

to 2. In the case of CPU-intensive VST and VSTi plugins, research which ones exceed the usual performance requirements or latency expectations. You should either avoid them or consider freezing tracks by precomputing audio data and saving it as a WAV file, so your DAW doesn't have to repeatedly calculate it in real-time. DAWs like Cubase offer extensive features for working with frozen tracks.

to 3. Project organization is critical. If you use many inserts on a track, they will be processed serially one after the other by a CPU thread. If these VST plugins are also CPU-hungry with high latency, it can significantly add to the required CPU time. CPUs with a high core count but low single-thread performance can struggle to calculate data in time.

to 4. Pay attention to how well your DAW can distribute the workload across CPU cores/threads. Not all DAWs are equally efficient in this regard.

When selecting a CPU, don't just focus on core count; prioritize CPUs with high single-thread performance.

Now, returning to RME, here are the key advantages for your situation:

RME recording interfaces do not rely on third-party I/O components; communication with the computer is handled through the internal FPGA chip. This chip can be reprogrammed via a flash operation. Combined with excellent drivers, this provides a solid foundation for any RME product, whether it connects to the computer via PCIe, Firewire, or USB.

While it's true that an interface with fewer I/O ports requires less bandwidth for the transfer between the audio interface and the computer (typically, all tracks are transmitted, whether in use or not), this is usually a concern for low-quality or poorly configured PCs. Therefore, I wouldn't be deterred from purchasing a UFX III if you need its ports, features, and I/O reserves for future expansion.

This is a complex topic, and I would recommend working with a company that can provide comprehensive guidance in the following areas:

1. Choosing the right DAW product and project organization, possibly testing with a demo project.
2. Building a turnkey computer with suitable components, potentially testing with a demo project to determine which CPU handles the workload best.
3. Providing support for optimizing your DAW projects.

I hope this helps!

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Here's what's possible with an UFX+ (or now UF III) on a well-tuned system:

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … cks-de-en/

My computer is from 2014 and according to benchmark values (Passmark, mixed benchmark) has about half the performance of your current system. Described here: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … mponenten/

It has been gradually upgraded over the past 9 years. More powerful HW components and as far as the OS is concerned from Windows 7 to Windows 10 to Windows 11 Pro (a few days ago, with a bit of trickery, because the hardware is no longer supported by M$, you have to adapt the installation medium with Rufus accordingly ).
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=38000

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

If you place such high demands on your DAW projects, then if I were you I would play it safe and exhaust all conceivable possibilities to optimize the projects and try out a lot.

I would put every VST and VSTi to the test and optimize it.

Have you ever frozen all tracks or made them into a simple wave file using render in place functions? Your computer, which has a much more powerful CPU than mine, should easily be able to output 150 wave files.

I would first approach and explore what causes the most performance problems in your projects and, as I said, work on your project organization and the VST/VSTi used.

With Cubase, for example, it is easily possible to freeze tracks, to temporarily release the freeze, but to keep the frozen wav file if you want to quickly switch between frozen and unfrozen.

Or you can/should use FX sends instead of multiple FX as insert in individual tracks.

I bet you still have great potential for optimization at this point, which you have not yet identified as such.

7 (edited by ramses 2023-09-03 06:53:47)

If you compare the different CPUs yours/mine (which runs 400 tracks, 803 VST up to 96 kHz at 32 samples buffersize)

You have now a CPU which has twice the multi processing power compared to my 1st one.
Single Thread Performance (which you also need) is about the same (not spectecular)

The new planned CPU would of course give you a much higher overall and also more single thread performance, which is surely important as well for your applications.

Optimize your projects, maybe get a better optimized system, I recommend a turnkey system for a company who has experience in building and optimizing audio PCs and which has the best suitable drivers for the system ...

If you need / want another RME interface .. I would put this topic separate.
FF400 is dated and firewire is not well supported anymore.

1)    My CPUs (which passed my artifical Cubase load test well)

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cp … mp;id=2389
Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 3.50GHz (from Q4/2014)
Socket: LGA2011-v3 Typical TDP: 140 W
Clock: 3.5 GHz, Turbo: 3.8 GHz (ran constant at 3.6 GHz)
Cores: 6, Threads: 12
Average CPU Mark: 10431, Single Thread performance: 2129

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cp … mp;id=2838
Intel Xeon E5-1650 v4 (from Q3/2016)
Clock: 3.6 GHz, Turbo: 4.0 GHz (ran constant at 3.8 GHz)
Cores: 6, Threads: 12
Average CPU Mark: 11467, Single Thread performance: 2394

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cp … mp;id=2869
Intel Xeon E5-1680 v4 (from Q3/2016)
Clock: 3.4 GHz, Turbo: 4.0 GHz (runs constant at 3.6 GHz)
Cores: 8, Threads: 16
Average CPU Mark: 13817, Single Thread performance: 2272

2)    Your current CPU:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cp … mp;id=3824
Intel Core i9-10850K (from Q3/2020)
Socket: FCLGA1200 Typical TDP: 125 W
Clock: 3.6 GHz, Turbo: 5.1 GHz (runs constant at ??? GHz)
Cores: 10, Threads: 20
Average CPU Mark: 22618, Single Thread performance: 3087

3)    Your planned CPU:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cp … mp;id=5022
Intel Core i9-13900K (from Q3/2022)
Socket: FCLGA1700 Typical TDP: 253 W
Clock: 3.0 GHz, Turbo: 5.8 GHz (runs constant at ??? GHz)
Cores: 24, Threads: 32
Performance Cores: 8 Cores, 16 Threads, 3.0 GHz Base, 5.8 GHz Turbo
Efficient Cores: 16 Cores, 16 Threads, 2.2 GHz Base, 4.3 GHz Turbo
Average CPU Mark: 59782, Single Thread performance: 4670

8 (edited by ramses 2023-09-03 07:05:58)

Before buying new hardware (be it a PC or recording interface), I think it would be better to optimize what you already have:

- Structure of the DAW projects
- Performance of your PC (check DPC latencies with LatencyMon and weed out bad drivers)

At the same time, try to see if the DAWs from the market leaders offer you an advantage over Cakewalk.

For example, I would counter-test with demo versions of Cubase and Reaper and, when building a large project, examine step by step at which point the performance suddenly collapses.

If you get good insights from this optimization process, you will benefit the most.

Simply investing in new, faster HW in the hope that you can solve problems simply with money doesn't always work or only works for a short time, until the next project comes along that might again exceed some performance limits.

9 (edited by vinark 2023-09-03 10:46:30)

I would not expect to much improvement from your new CPU. The p cores combined with e cores is not optimal for a daws. Some need to disable all e cores to get optimal performance.
Maybe better make your cpu run optimal, with a CPU tool like throttlestop. It can make your cpu run faster and cooler, do read the instructions!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

10 (edited by Kubrak 2023-09-03 13:37:14)

I agree, I would avoid Intel's big-little CPUs. That is anything above 11th gen.

Last few years, IMHO, AMD CPUs give better results comparing to Intel....

11 (edited by ramses 2023-09-03 11:55:51)

Kubrak wrote:

I agree, I would avoid Intel's big-little CPUs. That is anything above 11th gen.

Last few years, IMHO, AMD CPUs give better results comparin to Intel....

Although I am also not a friend of "Big Little" Intel still seem to have better IPC and single thread performance. Also the AMD chiplet design might introduce processor internal add-on latencies, but I can't tell the exact impact.

I think it's currently difficult up to impossible to make any good recommendation without real performance tests.

At least you should be careful with AMD CPUs which got larger cache which should be better for gaming. Not sure whether it would bring any benefit for DAW applications.
To put AMD Ryzen™ 9 7900X3D as an example. It has two 6-core chiplets, but only one chiplet (half of the cores) has access to the bigger cache.

A real desaster for AMD is the new game Starfield from Bethesda. The company had a cooperation with AMD.
It came to the strange situation that Intel's hybrid core processors clearly outperformed AMDs Ryzen CPUs.

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Starfiel … l-1428194/
Translated: "Topsy-turvy world in the vastness of space because Intel's hybrid Core processors clearly outperform AMD's Ryzen CPUs with and without 3D V-Cache in the space role-playing game Starfield. This is especially astonishing because AMD "supported" the game accordingly in the context of its highly exclusive technology partnership with Bethesda. The first impression that AMD gives here is almost devastating."

Other things

- some AMD mainboards have a strange design. Even if you take X670E chipset and pick the only affordable board with 10G Ethernet, then you get only 3 PCIe sockets. The 2nd one shares already lanes with NVMe and if you use the 3rd one than the speed for your GPU is only x8 instead of x16.

- not sure how DAWs scale with the number of cores in AMD products

Reasons why I am currently continuing to observe the market, but do not intend to get a new system, I do not see any satisfactory solutions if you look to the better/more expensive hardware. I like the design of my server board from 2014 a lot more.

No easy times for upgrades, can't exclude looking at turnkey systems in the future because I can't test everything on my own.

I cannot tell for games, I do not play....

In our case, music plays main role, I guess. Intel's big-little simply cause problems, unless DAW/audio SW is designed with big-little in mind, and people are often forced to disable e-cores....

Beside that, current Intels run far from optimal point. In fact, Intel sells heavily overclocked CPUs. And that means, they consume too much, need very good cooling and so on. Intel might have at some models slightly better single core performance, but it is not able to maintain that performance, if more cores are used.... Looks nice in tests, but not so nice in practical life.

Intel will use chiplets soon (or already uses in some CPUs), Apple uses chiplets as well in Mx Ultra CPU. AMD used to have problems with latencies with the first gen Zen CPUs, they learned a lot and redesigned things. On contrary latest Intels have severe latency problems if OS decides to realocate thread from e-core to p-core or vice versa...

I do not have proof, but I guess big cache might be beneficial for plugins that need a lot of memory.

I agree, things are not black and white. Not only CPU play the role and so on... Each platform has its advantages and disadvantages.

I have miniPC based on AMD 5700G APU, and I am satisfied. It works fine. My next PC will have future comming Zen 5 or Zen 6.

13 (edited by ramses 2023-09-03 14:19:03)

Yeah, you are right. Energy consumption is not nice with Intel, fully agree. Already thought about a little undervolting IF I should purchase.

A while ago, I read something about the distribution of processes between big/little cores. It sounded to me as of not the application does the choice here, but I am not 100% sure, forgot details.
The goal of E-Cores is to put services on it, background tasks to keep the P-cores free for real workloads. But I also read, that in some cases it wouldn't work well.

Program may set afinity to individual cores and so forbid using of certain cores for given program. Maybe that program may also say I want to run this thread on this core, but I am not sure.

Otherwise OS handles it, but not satisfactory. Imagine, one thread may be softsynth. It does not play at the beginning so OS places it to e-core, synth starts playing and dropout.... If application does not take care about the things and let it on OS, big-little will struggle....

AMD will also introduce big-little, but little will be big just with smaller cache.... So, not so much performance difference, just less silicon needed....

Thank you for your thorough descriptions and info! I'll try to reply quite shortly an in order smile
Let me begin with the following:

ramses wrote:

Simply investing in new, faster HW in the hope that you can solve problems simply with money doesn't always work or only works for a short time, until the next project comes along that might again exceed some performance limits.

I'm guilty as charged here, and this is actually exactly what I'm trying to do. With three children and work up to my neck, I'm trying to as fast and easily as possible to increase the performance of my music projects without having to dive too deep into all the technicalities, the computer science around it and so forth. I simply lack the time to do so sad

At least, a quick and easy speed increase is what I'm hoping to achieve by upgrading the computer and perhaps even the audio interface.

Yes, it would cost to upgrade the computer, but I might as well build a new one for my son with the 10850K parts that will be available if I upgrade to a 13900K. So it would not be money thrown away anyway.

Although if an upgrade would not make a noticeable difference, then I rather let it be as it is.

ramses wrote:

Regarding these points:
to 1. For poorly written DAW software, I would recommend sticking to established products from reputable manufacturers.

Cakewalk was before one of the highest ranked MIDI sequencer/DAW. Although I'm not too familiar with any extensive comparison with other DAWs, I think Cakewalk still is in the top, even though it of course have its downsides.
It shows a good and even workload distribution over the available CPU cores of the 10850K processor.

ramses wrote:

to 2. In the case of CPU-intensive VST and VSTi plugins, research which ones exceed the usual performance requirements or latency expectations. You should either avoid them or consider freezing tracks by precomputing audio data and saving it as a WAV file, so your DAW doesn't have to repeatedly calculate it in real-time. DAWs like Cubase offer extensive features for working with frozen tracks.

I'm doing this already as much as conveniently possible, with other words on tracks that I'm not editing at the moment. Those are frozen. Especially for CPU craving VSTi's.

ramses wrote:

When selecting a CPU, don't just focus on core count; prioritize CPUs with high single-thread performance.

Indeed I'm looking at CPUs with high single-thread performance. AFAIK both 10850K and 13900K falls into that category in comparison with many of their respective competitors.

Regarding the comparison of these two, I'm curious about the performance cores vs. e-cores. Will continue in the next post.

So, regarding cores/performance cores vs. e-cores.

ramses wrote:

2)    Your current CPU:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cp … mp;id=3824
Intel Core i9-10850K (from Q3/2020)
Socket: FCLGA1200 Typical TDP: 125 W
Clock: 3.6 GHz, Turbo: 5.1 GHz (runs constant at ??? GHz)
Cores: 10, Threads: 20
Average CPU Mark: 22618, Single Thread performance: 3087

3)    Your planned CPU:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cp … mp;id=5022
Intel Core i9-13900K (from Q3/2022)
Socket: FCLGA1700 Typical TDP: 253 W
Clock: 3.0 GHz, Turbo: 5.8 GHz (runs constant at ??? GHz)
Cores: 24, Threads: 32
Performance Cores: 8 Cores, 16 Threads, 3.0 GHz Base, 5.8 GHz Turbo
Efficient Cores: 16 Cores, 16 Threads, 2.2 GHz Base, 4.3 GHz Turbo
Average CPU Mark: 59782, Single Thread performance: 4670

This is actually quite interesting and I'm not sure how the following cores compare to each other.

The 10850K have 10 cores, which I guess is the equivalent of the e-cores in the 13900K, right?
Although, the 13900K have 2 less of these, "only" 8 performance cores!
Are the 8 performance cores of the 13900K still more powerful than the 10 cores of the 10850K? They should be, but what do I know.

vinark wrote:

I would not expect to much improvement from your new CPU. The p cores combined with e cores is not optimal for a daws. Some need to disable all e cores to get optimal performance.
Maybe better make your cpu run optimal, with a CPU tool like throttlestop. It can make your cpu run faster and cooler, do read the instructions!

Kubrak wrote:

Last few years, IMHO, AMD CPUs give better results comparing to Intel....

This has actually been worrying me a bit, the e-cores.
I have no idea how well Cakewalk would utilize the p- and e-cores of the 13900K, mainly due to the new e-cores of which there are none on the 10850K which I'm currently running.

ramses wrote:

If you place such high demands on your DAW projects, then if I were you I would play it safe and exhaust all conceivable possibilities to optimize the projects and try out a lot.

I have actually not had the time, energy and strength to go all the way and exhaust all the conceivable possibilities to optimize my projects, although I've done several things like freezing tracks that I'm not editing much or at all, archiving tracks (not only muting, but also completely disabling them), deleting unused tracks, and those that I'm unsure of just archiving it (almost the same result as deleting them performance wise)

However, some of my projects are still very large, and for sure CAN be optimized even further, but at this stage I feel I rather try to pour some money on the whole thing to make it move, rather than pouring even more time, energy and effort to trying to further optimizing. My time to do so is actually very limited, unfortunately.

I would put every VST and VSTi to the test and optimize it.

I've done this to some extent and I think I have a good idea of which VSTi's that are the most demanding ones. Those I'm freezing as much as possible.

Have you ever frozen all tracks or made them into a simple wave file using render in place functions? Your computer, which has a much more powerful CPU than mine, should easily be able to output 150 wave files.

Not exactly on the projects in question, but I know for fact that when most of the tracks are only audio (wave files) it's all much, MUCH, smoother. However, this is not always an option since I have to be able to quickly edit tracks here and there and therefore keeping all the tracks frozen is not an option for me.

I bet you still have great potential for optimization at this point, which you have not yet identified as such.

You're 100% correct in this and I'm also sure of it myself. In fact I know this, since I very well know I've not done everything in my power to optimize things.
However, there is now the possibility to increase computing power, instead of optimizing the tracks, so in my situation and the time that is available for me, I feel I conveniently rather pour some money on the whole thing and hope that the problem if not completely disappears, at least are drastically decreasing for me, so I can run my projects somewhat smooth.

18 (edited by darkstar 2023-09-03 18:06:58)

And finally, regarding upgrading my RME audio interface (FF400), to a newer one.

ramses wrote:

Here's what's possible with an UFX+ (or now UF III) on a well-tuned system:

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … cks-de-en/

My computer is from 2014 and according to benchmark values (Passmark, mixed benchmark) has about half the performance of your current system. Described here: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … mponenten/

It has been gradually upgraded over the past 9 years. More powerful HW components and as far as the OS is concerned from Windows 7 to Windows 10 to Windows 11 Pro (a few days ago, with a bit of trickery, because the hardware is no longer supported by M$, you have to adapt the installation medium with Rufus accordingly ).
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=38000

I've read your posts and the links and trying to get my head around it and what all that means. I'm not that very familiar with how all that works technically, and thus I might even interpret the information in the wrong way. Once again, I'm so pressed by the lack of time, and I currently do not have the time to deep diving into the realm of audio interface engineering and how it all works.

Therefore I've not managed to fully understand whether it would give me a noticeable speed (latency in DAW) improvement to upgrade from FF400 to a much newer interface. With latency in DAW, I mean the time between pressing play and starting to hearing audio without glitches etc.
If I use the smallest buffer, there are glitches and dropouts and it is all horrible. With the largest buffer chosen, this goes away, but of course it is slower to manoeuvrer/handle due to the larger buffer size and bigger latency chosen.

I run Windows 10 by the way.

So, as my projects get larger and I start to get dropouts, glitches, clicks and pops etc. I can do the following things to doctor/cure the problem.

1. I can decrease the number of tracks. (doing as much as conveniently possible already)

2. I can freeze tracks so the VSTi's/VST FX aren't running live. (doing as much as conveniently possible already)

3. I can increase CPU power (obviously). (as told earlier, this I'm planning to do, should it give the expected results)

4. I can increase buffer size for the audio interface, and thus also the latency. (already on MAX buffer size with the highest latency, so there's not more to do here.. thus the question, NEW RME audio interface?)

5. I can enable multicore optimization either in the DAW, the VSTi, or both (when available). (already doing this)

6. Did I forget something?

I'm trying to get my head around all the info regarding latencies and how audio interfaces work, but I might be too stressed to grasp what all that means. Therefore I still can't really understand whether a newer RME interface would allow me to decrease buffer size without the dropouts, glitches, clicks and pops, something which I unfortunately get when I decrease buffer size with the FF400.

And once again, this is regarding internal audio playback with wave files and VSTi's and such.

And yes, I understand that a faster CPU will help with this, since the audio interface is not an audio accelerator, like for example a 3D graphics card for games. (unfortunately) ..but still, I really can't understand the possible differences in audio handling regarding buffer sizes/latencies between a FF400 and a newer (faster?) RME audio interface.

I can see, in ramses RME audio interface comparison chart, that the "Converter latency in samples @44.1kHz AD/DA" is quite improved from the:
FF400 (43/28 samples)
to the
Babyface Pro FS (5/7 samples)
UCX II (5/6 samples)
802 FS (5/6 samples)
UFX III (5/6 samples)

However, this refer to AD/DA conversion and not the "internal handling" or what to call it, so I'm not sure whether this also translates to the playback speed when working only with VSTi's and such.
Therefore I'd need the help from the experts here, who understands how this work smile

19 (edited by Kubrak 2023-09-03 18:28:46)

Have a look at AMD CPUs. Unless you insist on having Thunderbolt, there is currently no real advantage in Intels. One needs watercooling and take care of p-cores e-cores....

AMD gives you the same CPU power using half of energy of comparable Intel. In case, money is not problem and seek strong CPU, look at Threadripper or Epyc by AMD....

And concerning what would bring new RME interface.... There maybe might be slight improvement, but in your case you need more computing power, or make your projects less computing intensive.

A collection of URLs with tuning tips you can find here, maybe you find something additional / interesting for you:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 04#p186404

Kubrak wrote:

Have a look at AMD CPUs. Unless you insist on having Thunderbolt, there is currently no real advantage in Intels. One needs watercooling and take care of p-cores e-cores....

AMD gives you the same CPU power using half of energy of comparable Intel. In case, money is not problem and seek strong CPU, look at Threadripper or Epyc by AMD....

BTW .. Last time I saw some AMD boards with thunderbolt. But there are anyway no RME thunderbolt interfaces available anymore, so this is maybe not of much importance anymore.

Yes, but there are people, who cannot imagine their life without TB....

Kubrak wrote:

And concerning what would bring new RME interface.... There maybe might be slight improvement, but in your case you need more computing power, or make your projects less computing intensive.

I thought that single thread performance was an important factor for music produciton/DAWs?:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

The Intels seem to destroy the AMDs regarding single thread performance?

And Intel might still have more efficient working cores regarding IPC (instructions per cycle).

But tbh .. all those top CPUs are faster than mine and my system still works satisfactory ;-)

More important is to get a system with good drivers that do not block any CPU cores not to get issues in terms of DPC latencies.

If a test project is easy to set up, try reaper, the most efficient daw it has a free unrestricted demo.
Btw I use cubase, so no personal bias.

Vincent, Amsterdam

26 (edited by vinark 2023-09-03 19:38:20)

And do try throttlestop! My intel laptop runs at 3.8ghz instead of 2.8 with it which is near it's max 4ghz turbo. And at a lower vcore.
It could give you an extra 20 to 30 %, which is more then a new CPU with p e core problems.
And since you have a k processor it could do much better.

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:

And do try throttlestop! My intel laptop runs at 3.8ghz instead of 2.8 with it which is near it's max 4ghz turbo. And at a lower vcore.
It could give you an extra 20 to 30 %, which is more then a new CPU with p e core problems.
And since you have a k processor it could do much better.

Sounds interesting! But from the description of it, it seems it is for laptop computers? Or am I mistaken?

I'm on a desktop computer.

Yes and no, on a laptop like mine there is little you can do in the bios so throttlestop to the rescue. You can probably do what you need from the bios, but throttlestop makes it possible from windows and easy to experiment a little. The goal would be to have it run continuously on a as high as possible all core turbo at least when working so no throttling.  At minimum it as a good tool to see what your cpu is doing with a high daw load. At what speed the cores are running and what is the load.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Additional to the computer performance, I can add that the UFX III is a liitle bit faster as the UFX+. And the fastest low latency performance is still the AIO Pro.
(Source Dawbench https://www.facebook.com/27815777289198 … 473398939/)

Regards,
Audio AG Support

Audio AG Support wrote:

Additional to the computer performance, I can add that the UFX III is a liitle bit faster as the UFX+. And the fastest low latency performance is still the AIO Pro.

Thanks, yes this is interesting!

1. I guess the FF400 is supposed to have about the same values as the FF800 in the list? (same latency afaik?)

2. Is this list representative for also the internal handling of audio, with other words for only VSTi's / VST FX played in the DAW? Or is AD/DA conversion somehow involved in this?

Audio AG Support wrote:

Depends a little on the use case. Converter-wise I fully agree with you.

But if the use case is to route through the DAW then the little smaller RTL by UFX+/TB gives a little lower latency even if the UFX+ converter are a little bit slower.

1. I guess the FF400 is supposed to have about the same values as the FF800 in the list? (same latency afaik?)"

They're identical.

2. Is this list representative for also the internal handling of audio, with other words for only VSTi's / VST FX played in the DAW? Or is AD/DA conversion somehow involved in this?

When you only use your output, only DA is involved.

@Ramses: FYI: The UFX+ with Thunderbolt is a bit faster only on Windows, on Mac it's the same as USB. And because the UFX3 has no Thunderbolt, you may say that the UFX 3 is a bit faster on USB.

Regards,
Audio AG Support

Mind that latency isn't some kind of measure of active "performance" of the audio interface, which doesn't interact with or render plugins etc. Just to make sure you're not assuming it does. All this happens inside the DAW only.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

34 (edited by darkstar 2023-09-05 15:32:45)

Audio AG Support wrote:

1. I guess the FF400 is supposed to have about the same values as the FF800 in the list? (same latency afaik?)"

They're identical.

When you only use your output, only DA is involved.

I see. So, according to the info in "RME-FW-USB-TB-interface-vergleich-2023-06-17.xlsx", the FF400 have a DA converter latency of 28 samples @ 44.1kHz.

I'm not sure if my formula and calculations are correct, but 28 divided by 44,1 is 0,635 ms.

At the same time, looking at the lowest latency DA numbers for RME audio interfaces, which the UCX II, 802 FS and UFX III have (6 sampples @ 44,1 kHz), I get the following numbers: 6 / 44,1 = 0,136 ms.

None of them reach even one 1 ms, which then begs the question, will one notice the difference at all?

However, what I really don't understand is what the difference actually is between these products, for example FF400 vs. UCX II or UFX III, in this regard, since the buffer size can be chosen in the settings.

With other words, both all these audio interfaces would have the same latency with for example a buffer size of 128 according to the calculations? So what makes one audio interface then faster (with less latency) than the other? Am I missing a key component in my calculations? I probably am...

The interface doesn't so much "have" a latency (conversion latency aside), it provides that latency to the DAW as a time frame within the software has to do its chores. There isn't really a criterion for "fast" in an interface, I would tend to say. It may in some cases be possible to work at a lower latency setting with one device than another, but that's not so much a matter of active "performance" of some kind.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

36 (edited by darkstar 2023-09-05 15:48:59)

RME Support wrote:

The interface doesn't so much "have" a latency (conversion latency aside), it provides that latency to the DAW as a time frame within the software has to do its chores. There isn't really a criterion for "fast" in an interface, I would tend to say. It may in some cases be possible to work at a lower latency setting with one device than another, but that's not so much a matter of active "performance" of some kind.

This is exactly what I'm trying to understand. Since (and also as mentioned before) these audio interfaces are not audio accelerators like for example 3D GeForce graphic cards are for 3D content/games.

Which then begs the question, could I get a noticeably lower latency (lowest possible buffer setting without dropouts, clicks and pops) with a UCX II or UFX III compared to my FF400 which I run via a Firewire PCIe card (since I don't have a built in FW interface in the motherboard)?

And it seems the answer is actually: no, I can not. At least not for only DA conversion, (only playback from DAW). There's no RTL latency involved there AFAIK, and I'm not even routing anything in TotalMix so no RTL from that either I suppose.

It depends.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

darkstar wrote:

Which then begs the question, could I get a noticeably lower latency (lowest possible buffer setting without dropouts, clicks and pops) with a UCX II or UFX III compared to my FF400 which I run via a Firewire PCIe card (since I don't have a built in FW interface in the motherboard)?

Noticeably, probably not. But, it depends on many things. If you change computer, it may behave better or worse. Comparing one interface running on one computer and another interface on second computer is simply tricky and hard to guess in advance.

But in your case, you need mainly stronger computer for your projects, or optimize your current projects. Newer interface might also help, but I would first get stronger computer.

Also, I would avoid big-little, or verify, that your DAW and plugins work fine on big-little.

39 (edited by darkstar 2023-09-05 16:59:16)

Kubrak wrote:
darkstar wrote:

Noticeably, probably not. But, it depends on many things. If you change computer, it may behave better or worse. Comparing one interface running on one computer and another interface on second computer is simply tricky and hard to guess in advance.

But in your case, you need mainly stronger computer for your projects, or optimize your current projects. Newer interface might also help, but I would first get stronger computer.

Also, I would avoid big-little, or verify, that your DAW and plugins work fine on big-little.

I'm sure you are right! I think you're a 100% correct in that I mainly need a faster computer and that is where the biggest speed increase will come from.

I'm also a bit worried about big-little. Unfortunately Intel has gone that route so then there's only AMD to chose from. According to what I've read, the Intel flagship (except for 13900KS) 13900K gives more or less the same result as the AMD Ryzen 9 7950X regardless of big-little.
Some people seem to just disable the e-cores on the Intel, and some just let them be. Doesn't seem to do too big a difference it seems. I guess it depends on the usage too.

The only thing that worries me with the 10850K vs the 13900K is that the 10850K have 10 cores, while the 13900K "only" have 8 p-cores (rest is 16 e-cores), and I'm yet not sure if the 8 p-cores is as fast as the 10 cores together.

However, looking at single thread performance only, the 13900K is 51,3% faster than the 10850K (from 3087 to 4670), according to Passmark.

So, if we count only cores, and I give each of the cores of 10850K the score of 1, this would mean that the 10850K get a score of 10, while the 13900K get a score of 12,104.

If we count the threads instead, and give each of the threads of the 10850K the score of 1, the 10850K gets the score of 20, while the 13900K get the score of 24,208.

So 10 vs. 12,1 in favour of 13900K counting cores only.
And 20 vs 24,2 in favour of 13900K counting threads.

The calculations are based on a 51,3% faster single thread performance for the 13900K compared to 10850K. No e-cores involved.

This says that the 13900K is not so much faster when multithreading (e-cores disabled), which is the result of having "only" 8 p-cores vs. 10 cores of the 10850K.

So I'm not at all sure any more if an upgrade from 10850K to 13900K is all worth it.

The 13900K have fantastic numbers on Passmark for both multithread and single thread, but the big-little architecture makes this very questionable for real life use in a DAW for example. IF the DAW would be perfectly coded to run the e-cores, that would be another story I guess.