1 (edited by gadi 2023-09-01 18:57:50)

Topic: UFX+ Ventura critical issues - currently unusable

Hello,

I am having a very tough time on Ventura with UFX+.
I just switched to an M2 Max running Ventura from an M1 Max running Monterey as the latter got stolen.
After Time Machine restore from M1 Max proved unusable, I performed a full reset of the new machine and a fresh install of everything.

I am encountering random crashes of the system audio out, where it becomes unresponsive (system preview, quicktime and any other players won't register an audio out), though I was having that on the M1 too (much less frequently).

The new, and much bigger problem is that working in Ableton Live, there seems to be some critical issue with the UFX+ and/or either Fireface USB Settings or Total Mix, I can't say.

It manifests by crashing Ableton when performing any i/o related task, such as:
- creating a new live set
- selecting the UFX+ as i/o device from settings
- configuring i/o in settings

The crash doesn't make Ableton quit, but rather become unresponsive: the only way out is to either force quit, or to turn off the UFX+ upon which Ableton provides the strange message:
"Selected audio devices do not share a compatible sampling rate with Live."
which makes little sense as everything is at 48k consistently. I normally clock the UFX+ from and ADI PRO FS 2 via AES, but the problem happens also on internal clocking.

I have attempted:
- reinstalling Live
- reinstalling drivers, including security settings to enable extensions
- updating firmware on UFX+

Ableton is allowed to access Mic from 'Privacy and Security'. I haven't tested with Protools and Logic yet.

I am frankly baffled and would appreciate any insight and suggestions.

2 (edited by waedi 2023-09-04 22:40:47)

Re: UFX+ Ventura critical issues - currently unusable

Try Reaper also.
It's for free and is running very fine on my M1 Ventura.
Is the computer with Ableton running fine without interface ?
Only internal speakers or the onboard headphone socket ?

If you connect the ADI-2 to the computer and play via USB is this working ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Can you please share the version numbers of all the software (macOS, Ableton, RME driver …).

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're facing with your RME UFX+ and Ableton Live on your new M2 Max system. It seems like you've taken several troubleshooting steps already, but here are a few additional suggestions:

1. **Check for macOS Compatibility**: Ensure that your version of Ventura (macOS) is officially supported by both Ableton Live and the RME UFX+ drivers. Sometimes, issues can arise when using the latest macOS versions with older software or drivers.

2. **Driver and Firmware Updates**: Double-check that you have the latest RME UFX+ drivers and firmware installed. Sometimes, updates can address compatibility issues with newer hardware or software.

3. **Audio Buffer Settings**: In Ableton Live, try adjusting the audio buffer size. A smaller buffer size can reduce latency but may cause instability on some systems. Experiment with different buffer settings to see if it has any effect on the crashes.

4. **USB Port**: Ensure that you're using a stable and high-speed USB port for your UFX+ connection. Sometimes, switching to a different USB port can resolve intermittent issues.

5. **Exclude External Factors**: Disconnect any other USB devices or peripherals that are not essential during your audio work. Sometimes, conflicts with other connected devices can cause problems.

6. **Test Other DAWs**: As you mentioned, testing with Pro Tools and Logic would be a good idea to determine if the issue is specific to Ableton Live or if it's a broader system or driver problem.

7. **Check Background Applications**: Make sure no background applications or utilities are interfering with your audio interface or Ableton Live. Sometimes, antivirus or system optimization tools can cause conflicts.

8. **Contact RME Support**: If the issue persists, consider reaching out to RME support directly. They may have specific insights or solutions for your UFX+ in combination with your macOS version.

9. **Monitor System Resources**: Use macOS's Activity Monitor to check for any unusually high resource usage when the crashes occur. This can help identify potential resource-related issues.

Remember to back up any critical data before making significant changes to your system configuration. Troubleshooting audio issues can sometimes be a process of elimination, so it may take some time to pinpoint the exact cause.

Cheriedavy

Thanks for your replies, the problem was manifesting in Logic Pro as well. Any setup operation involving i/o, including but not limted to buffer size changes, would cause an irrevirsible crash of all audio processes on the machine.

The many crash logs generated by Ableton were useful and their support was able to speculate that:
"Looking into the recent logged Live runs, chances are high that the drivers are involved in this."

It appears that the driver itself was crashing, despite having performed the installation with particular attention to all the modern stumbling blocks involved in MacOS (as I've done it several times before, quite sure I didn't overlook any security overrides etc).

I was able to solve the problem by repeating the same two steps I had done upon installation:
- Updating the firmware on the UFX+ with RME UFX+ Flash Update Tool.app, but this time using the 'Flash All' option
- Renstalling the same driver (driver_usbdk_mac_4082 is latest at this time)

Everything is running as expected now, including the ability to switch buffer sizes on the fly down to 32 samps. In my experience using RME products on multiple Mac and Windows systems over 15 years, Apple Silicon doesn't suffer from instability at lower buffer sizes when the drivers are working properly, neither M1 nor current gen M2, so this was very puzzling, and I can't say exactly what went wrong there.

I was able to then also install driver_fw_mac_341 to control the FF800 I use as an i/o extension for the UFX+ via ADAT with no adverse effects. Both cards now show up in TotalMix and everything is working smoothly.

For full reference, this manifested under:
MacOS Ventura 13.5.1 (22G90)
Ableton Live 11.3.10
Logic Pro 10.7.9

(didn't get round to Pro Tools or Reaper as this is now solved)

Sidenote: Something else that might be useful to know which afaik is new to Ventura, is that apps don't automatically have 'Full Disk Access' unless manually authorised under "System Preferences" → "Security and Privacy" → "Privacy" → "Full Disk Access"
Ableton suggested this might be part of the problem, I doubt it since it wasn't DAW specific but worth noting this option needs to be manually enabled as I hadn't read it anywhere.

Back to work then, cheers

Thanks for this interesting update !
So "Flash All" and "Full Disk Access" is to keep in mind...

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

Thanks for this interesting update !
So "Flash All" and "Full Disk Access" is to keep in mind...

Yes, indeed very interesting information, thank you gadi

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2