Topic: ADI 2/4 SE as a DJ interface

Hello there,

Except being a great reference AD/DA converter in studio use, I am wondering if this could be one of the best interfaces for DJ use!

I do not own an ADI 2/4 SE yet, so if someone owns it, it could be very helpful to confirm if a specific routing is possible.

DJ interfaces usually have at least 4 line outputs. Meaning that when connected to DJ software (eg Traktor), you can set the playback deck1 to output 1/2 (stereo) and playback deck2 to output 3/4 (stereo). Then you connect output 1/2 to your external DJ mixer as channel1 and output 3/4 as channel2, thus you can mix these decks separately and have cue, using headphones on the external DJ mixer (not the interface).

I can see at the back side of the interface two sets of outputs - XLR 1/2 and TRS 3/4. Do these Line outputs transfer independent signals?

Please let me know if it's possible to implement the above routing. If someone can try Traktor and its settings with this interface, that would be perfect.

Thank you

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-09-04 23:48:49)

Re: ADI 2/4 SE as a DJ interface

nikosf. wrote:

I can see at the back side of the interface two sets of outputs - XLR 1/2 and TRS 3/4. Do these Line outputs transfer independent signals?

ADI-2/4 Pro SE can use XLR for output 1/2 and TRS for an independent signal on output 3/4.

Read manual, page 43, “Class Compliant Multi-channel mode” to even see a block diagram of the routing options.

Manual page 27:
  Rear TRS Source (only Phones Out 3/4)

Line 1/2, Phones 3/4. Default: Line 1/2. The rear TRS outputs can be switched from Line Out 1/2 to Phones 3/4 as source. See block diagram chapter 34.29. The settings of Phones Out 3/4 are then also active for TRS, including the Ref Level. ...

Hello again.

Just got the ADI 2/4 SE. I cannot manage to setup the routing with Traktor DJ app. I want deck A to play through XLR 1/2 and deck B to play through TRS 3/4. TRS is carrying out the same signal as XLR 1/2. Is there a work around on that?

Thank you

User manual page 43
Multichannel-mode

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

nikosf. wrote:

... I cannot manage to setup the routing with Traktor DJ app. I want deck A to play through XLR 1/2 and deck B to play through TRS 3/4. TRS is carrying out the same signal as XLR 1/2. Is there a work around on that?

To get the 3/4 signal to the Rear TRS’:

Set ADI-2/4 Pro SE to “Class Compliant Multi-channel mode”:
• Unplug USB
• SETUP / Options / Device Mode/DSD / Basic Mode: USB
• SETUP / Options / Device Mode/DSD / CC-Mode: Multichannel
• Replug USB

Route the output:
• I/O / Phones Out 3/4 / Settings /  Source: USB 3/4
• I/O / Phones Out 3/4 / Settings /  Rear TRS Source: Ph. 3/4

Now you can address the outputs 1/2 and 3/4 from Traktor DJ.

Wow, that worked out great!

Actually there is no exact guide in the manual on how to do that. The device was in Class Compliant Multichannel, probably it was in Auto Mode, not USB. Now I am able to select on Phones 3/4 the USB 3/4 as source.

Thanks a lot for your help

7 (edited by KaiS 2023-09-05 15:40:34)

The concept of having various “Modes” that completely change ADI-2/4 Pro SE’s and ADI-2 Pro’s internal routings to serve different demands is unique.

Therefore it needs to be understood by a new user.

The factory default “Auto-Mode” covers a lot and simplifies the entry into this.
For special cases one needs to dig deeper.

My go to Mode, BTW, is DAC, as I do use ADI-2 for private listening and it’s the most simplistic and straightforward one.

I’m very thankful these “Modes” exist.