1 (edited by BodieDoyle 2023-09-05 09:38:53)

Topic: UFX - to 2 FF400/FF800's

Apologies if this has been asked before, I have had a look to see but I couldn't find anything specific to my question; which is.

I'd like to setup an IO (predominantly output) rig comprising of a UFX and 2 FF400/FF800's. This isn't new, but, my requirements are slightly unusual.

Can I daisy-chain both FF's to my UFX via Firewire, perhaps with the FF's in standalone as all I need the FF's for is analogue IO to the UFX. I don't want to use ADAT on the UFX as I'll need both of those connections for my UAD master setup. So, my plan is to go to the UFX via USB on my laptop, gain 16 analogue IO from the FF's via Firewire, and also have 16 IO via ADAT on the UFX to do live audio processing on my UAD Apollo devices. I could go for a Digiface instead of the UFX and do it all via ADAT, albeit with a 3rd FF and only 1 ADAT to my UAD Apollo, I'm aware of that, but I need the analogue IO on the UFX too.

At the moment I use an X32/MIDAS with my UAD Apollo devices to perform the above, however, this setup is not without issues driver/stability-wise so I want to go back to RME as the hub of my IO.

Thanks in advance.

Edit - this IO setup is for live playback, stability is paramount as is simplicity (hence mentioning standalone mode on the connected FF's), and the fact Totalmix is latency free (as is the audio processing on the UAD) means most other aggregated output devices are simply not useable.

Re: UFX - to 2 FF400/FF800's

Yes this has been in discussion here from time to time.
The Firewire port on the UFX is not a Firewire hub, it's only the host port - to the host computer.
Firewire is not an audio connection  like Adat or Madi.
The FF400 and 800 can be used as ADDAs over Adat.
You may try the Digiface USB or a 12Mic.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

Yes this has been in discussion here from time to time.
The Firewire port on the UFX is not a Firewire hub, it's only the host port - to the host computer.
Firewire is not an audio connection  like Adat or Madi.
The FF400 and 800 can be used as ADDAs over Adat.
You may try the Digiface USB or a 12Mic.

Thanks for the swift reply; looks like the Digiface is the most cost-effective solution.

Just small note Digiface USB is not intended to run standalone. But once setup by PC it does not need to be connected to PC under the condition it is continuously powered. When switched off, it forgets all settings, it is not able to recall last setting used before power-off. :-(

Kubrak wrote:

Just small note Digiface USB is not intended to run standalone. But once setup by PC it does not need to be connected to PC under the condition it is continuously powered. When switched off, it forgets all settings, it is not able to recall last setting used before power-off. :-(

You're confusing the Digiface USB with the old HDSP Digiface...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

6 (edited by Kubrak 2023-09-05 16:31:59)

No, I am not. OP means by Digiface - Digiface USB, not HDSP Digiface.

Your description of the Disconnect Mode does not apply to the Digiface USB.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

It does, I use it so.

If one sets DF USB using computer, switches computer off, but lets DF USB on (it may be plugged in powered USB hub for example), it works on now standalone for days and weeks. It just needs to get power delivered, not computer anymore.

If switched off, and on again it sets itself to undocumented initial state. It does not remember state before power off, like e.g. Fireface UC, or many other RME gear. I haven't found information which state it is set after power up. But it is able to provide clock and get lock to other ADAT devices.

What's the benefit ? I don't see any sense doing this...

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

It is the way (workaround) to use DF USB standalone without a computer on.

And why? I use use DF USB as sort of patchbay/device that glues together pieces of standalone gear. I may take for example guitar, switch gear on and play and imedeatly. No need to start computer. DF USB is setup and on all the time, so it remembers everything.

Yes, it would be better, if DF USB would remember last state (or at least was initialized in the way ADAT inputs are routed to respectice ADAT outputs...), one could switch DF USB off. But it is not the case.

RME says that DF USB cannot harwarewise store/remember last state.

But I guess, it maybe might be technically possible to update firmware so that it routes ADAT inputs to respective ADAT outputs. It would require just slight change in mixer matrix, but I guess RME will not change it.

So, I will stick to my workaround.... ;-)

It has been communicated here, should really be enough...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Yes, I just replied to Waedi's question....

BTW that was regarding Waedi and "facebook group" ... don't know/remember why your post came in between.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13