1 (edited by windie 2023-09-04 20:09:46)

Topic: ADI-2 DAC FS how to play TIDAL bitperfect

Is it still not possible to play TIDAL bitperfect on PC without any other subscriptions than TIDAL?

Re: ADI-2 DAC FS how to play TIDAL bitperfect

windie wrote:

Is it still not possible to play TIDAL bitperfect on PC without any other subscriptions than TIDAL?

Tidal per se isn‘t bit perfect, it‘s <x@c~v>*# MQA (no discussion here please).

I don’t know any way to run RME Bit Test from Tidal, the files are not available in Tidal.

Get your basic system running bit perfect playing the wav-files and you’re fine, as close as it can get.

Tidal does not support ASIO. You can try to use Roon + Tidal. Roon can play the test files correct with ASIO:
https://tidal.com/roon

Regards,
Audio AG Support

Would Qobuz be better with my ADI2 then?
How much does it really affect if im using Tidal vs Qobuz?
As far as i found Tidal wont swap sample rate depending on the song, but Qobuz does.

Audio AG Support wrote:

Tidal does not support ASIO. You can try to use Roon + Tidal. Roon can play the test files correct with ASIO:
https://tidal.com/roon

Ok thanks, but i really dont want to pay for another subscription.
Would Qobuz be better?

6 (edited by KaiS 2023-09-05 14:43:19)

windie wrote:

As far as i found Tidal wont swap sample rate depending on the song, ...

It does, playing from the iOS app.

I’ve built my headphones stack around an otherwise out-of-service iPhone.

Then I found this one, worth to have a look at:

There is exclusive mode on Tidal “
“Exclusive Mode only has an effect for HiFi and Master playback. This setting grants TIDAL exclusive use of the audio device eliminating interference. With this enabled, TIDAL has exclusive use of your DAC and will automatically change the frequency based on the song selection.”

(REMARK- this might only work with the RME-driver completely removed, see manual or below)
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?attachments/1589697668191-png.63920/

From the manual: De-installing the Driver

To use Windows own Class Compliant drivers the RME driver has to be removed completely (for example after a firmware update). In Device Manager select the ADI-2 DAC under Sound, Video and Game Controllers, right click and choose Uninstall. In the next dialog make sure to check 'Delete the driver software for this device'. Otherwise the driver will stay within the Windows installation and gets reinstalled automatically after the next reboot.

KaiS wrote:
windie wrote:

As far as i found Tidal wont swap sample rate depending on the song, ...

It does, playing from the iOS app.

I’ve built my headphones stack around an otherwise out-of-service iPhone.

Then I found this one, worth to have a look at:

There is exclusive mode on Tidal “
“Exclusive Mode only has an effect for HiFi and Master playback. This setting grants TIDAL exclusive use of the audio device eliminating interference. With this enabled, TIDAL has exclusive use of your DAC and will automatically change the frequency based on the song selection.”

(REMARK- this might only work with the RME-driver completely removed, see manual or below)
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?attachments/1589697668191-png.63920/

From the manual: De-installing the Driver

To use Windows own Class Compliant drivers the RME driver has to be removed completely (for example after a firmware update). In Device Manager select the ADI-2 DAC under Sound, Video and Game Controllers, right click and choose Uninstall. In the next dialog make sure to check 'Delete the driver software for this device'. Otherwise the driver will stay within the Windows installation and gets reinstalled automatically after the next reboot.

Thanks, but ive sold all my old iPhones and want to use my PC as the source.

8 (edited by KaiS 2023-09-05 15:45:48)

windie wrote:

The above advice is for Windows PC.
Only that Windows is a moving target- hard to hit.

KaiS wrote:
windie wrote:

The above advice is for Windows PC.
Only that Windows is a moving target- hard to hit.

Ok, my bad.
What part does the iPhone play here though?
Desktop version has Tidal Exclusive mode too.

10 (edited by KaiS 2023-09-05 16:05:16)

windie wrote:

What part does the iPhone play here though?

Music smile

Seriously, non with Windows of course.
An alternative to the PC hustle if you’re just about music listening.

AFAIR Tidal won't switch sample rates because it requires a different bit resolution in CC mode than what the ADI-2  series offers. Had been reported here long ago.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

12 (edited by KaiS 2023-09-06 11:16:24)

MC wrote:

AFAIR Tidal won't switch sample rates because it requires a different bit resolution in CC mode than what the ADI-2  series offers. Had been reported here long ago.

Maybe worth a try - even Tidal is a moving target.
They had changed their resolution several times, just lately to “Hi Res”.
(Works here on iDevice up to 192 kHz).

I can’t check Windows, my PC has the driver installed and I don’t like to fumble with it’s configuration.

KaiS wrote:
MC wrote:

Maybe worth a try - even Tidal is a moving target.
They had changed their resolution several times, just lately to “Hi Res”.
(Works here on iDevice up to 192 kHz).

I can’t check Windows, my PC has the driver installed and I don’t like to fumble with it’s configuration.

I uninstalled the driver, did not work. (I am on windows)