Topic: RIAA Mono Bass - Bass Roll Off

I've been using the ASR phono cartridge measurement script to measure the frequency response of an MC and MM cartridge with my ADI-2/4. I've noticed a bass roll off when enabling RIAA Mono Bass that isn't there when it's disabled. The script creator has confirmed this isn't a script issue.

Please see the measurements on ASR:

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/in … st-1699990

Why am I seeing a bass roll off with RIAA Mono Bass enabled? Is this expected behaviour?

Re: RIAA Mono Bass - Bass Roll Off

I would keep it DISABLED.  I did mastering from 1977-1984 and a good cutting engineer would take care of that while cutting the lacquers if it was needed.  There's no reason to add it again, in my opinion.

That's not really the point though, is it?

I want to know if it works as expected.

badboygolf16v wrote:

I've been using the ASR phono cartridge measurement script to measure the frequency response of an MC and MM cartridge with my ADI-2/4. I've noticed a bass roll off when enabling RIAA Mono Bass that isn't there when it's disabled. The script creator has confirmed this isn't a script issue.

Please see the measurements on ASR:

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/in … st-1699990

Why am I seeing a bass roll off with RIAA Mono Bass enabled? Is this expected behaviour?

Yes.
You are measuring with sine wave sweeps that are running left or right channel only.
If you create a mono sum you need to lower the individual channel levels by 6 dB, else you get an increase in total energy.
This is what you see in this measurement.

If you measured with a mono-sweep the frequency response would be linear.

Thanks KaiS

6 (edited by KaiS 2023-08-29 10:38:40)

IMO RIAA Mono Bass is not for every day use.

It can reduce audible “rumble” - low frequency surface noise of bad vinyl, but sacrifices soundstage in exchange for this, so just use it when rumble really is annoying.

Parts of the vinyl “magic” are it’s various artifacts - if one’s about removing all those he’s better off playing digital formats.

I suggest to edit your posting in ASW accordingly, to avoid shining an unjustifiable bad light on ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

KaiS wrote:

It can reduce audible “rumble” - low frequency surface noise of bad vinyl, but sacrifices soundstage in exchange for this.

Parts of the vinyl “magic” are it’s various artifacts - if one’s about removing all those he’s better off playing digital formats.

I suggest to edit your posting in ASW accordingly, to avoid shining an unjustifiable bad light on ADI-2/4 Pro SE.

+1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

There's no bad light being thrown on the ADI-2/4. My question had also been answered on there, so I'll leave it as is.

KaiS wrote:

It can reduce audible “rumble” - low frequency surface noise of bad vinyl, but sacrifices soundstage in exchange for this, so just use it when rumble really is annoying.

I just put a hi-pass filter on my ADI-2 Pro on the analogue input coming from the phono preamp with 12dB per octave at 30Hz.  Believe me, there isn't much on vinyl below that because you would RARELY put it on a disk... too much real estate taken up with low end.