1 (edited by Hwidow 2023-08-28 14:31:37)

Topic: ADI-2 Pro FS BE and Digiface USB connection

Hello all, waiting for the ADI-2 Pro FS black edition to arrive and I wonder how to connect it with my setup. Currently I use RME Digiface USB with 4 ADAT ports as main interface with Apogee Rosetta 200 connected via ADAT as my main monitoring and recording converter.
Wonder if I just add ADI-2 Pro FS to this combination via its ADAT connections and set it as master clock or I run it independently via USB connection and then create a Agregate Device (I'm on Mac Studio M1) for Pro Tools so it sees all converters and their I/O's as one unit.
If I go with ADAT connection to Digiface USB will I lose multichannel outputs from ADI-2 Pro FS ?
And also curious if anyone uses ADI-2 Pro FS digital EQ for room correction EQ and if it is better or same as using software like Sonarworks?

Thanks !

ADI 2 Pro FS Black Edition, DigiFace USB, MacOS Ventura 13.5.1, Pro Tools 2023.6

2 (edited by ramses 2023-08-28 14:39:20)

Re: ADI-2 Pro FS BE and Digiface USB connection

Hi Hwidow, welcome to the RME user forum.

I would integrate the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE it into your setup by connecting it to one of the ADAT ports of the Digiface USB. Use the Digiface USB (main interface) as clock master for operational reasons.

The design of the ADI-2 DAC/Pro series interface is, that the internal FS clock will always be used for A/D and D/A conversion, no matter whether the device is clock master or clock slave.

Set the connection to the ADi-2 Pro FS R BE to optical SPDIF to have 2ch 44.1-192 kHz to automatically detect sample rate switches between single and double speed.

See this blog article that I wrote how you can integrate and configure the ADI-2 Pro.

I would keep USB connected for any potential firmware upgrade, same do I.

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … our-Setup/

Some other useful information / intro into different related topics, see perhaps also here:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/Ent … ses-EN-DE/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you for a detailed answer and tips!
If I'm not wrong, you would not recommend to use it as USB compliant device and then as a aggregate device on MacOS with Pro Tools ?
I was hoping to use its Headphones outputs 3-4 as an additional line outs that way.
And also when recording from analog equipment like an SSL X-desk console that have high headroom (+24db if I'm not mistaken) shall I adjust its analog inputs to the same dynamic range ?

ADI 2 Pro FS Black Edition, DigiFace USB, MacOS Ventura 13.5.1, Pro Tools 2023.6

4 (edited by ramses 2023-08-28 16:30:06)

All devices need to be clock synchronized, this would not be the case, if you connect them only via USB.
You need at least one digital connection between them for clock synching purposes.
WC is no option for both devices, but also no necessarily required for this synchronization purpose.

Choose higher ref level on analog inputs to make them less sensitive to support hotter signals.
On the outputs the opposite, lower ref level, less volume, higher ref level, more volume.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by Hwidow 2023-08-28 16:52:29)

Understood,
there is an option to clock agregate devices within MacOS Audio Midi Setup but I guess it wouldn't be as reliable as a optical cable connection sync.
I will post my working setup soon as possible.
I will mostly use it for music mixing and mastering work.
Thanks again for a quick and competent replies. Hardly waiting to hear the ADI 2 Pro FS R BE in action.
Cheers!

6 (edited by ramses 2023-08-28 16:54:20)

I would say, start with ADI-2 Pro FS R BE.

If you would like to connect external devices (mastering chain) maybe take ADI 2/4 Pro SE into account.

The few bucks more do not hurt if you do not get the recording interface on top .. but you would have more flexibility for mastering. That was one of the demands of people who need a 2nd pair of independend outputs for mastering.

Gives you additionally a few improvements. 5 reflevels in total and even a very nice implementation to connect a turntable.
And a few other features.

7 (edited by Hwidow 2023-08-28 18:40:15)

Ah, already 12 days in from the order of ADI-2 Pro FS BE I believe it is too late to change it now. At the local dealer the 2/4 Pro SE wasn't even on the list of RME products. Will have to work within possibilities of FS for some time. I will still have Apogee Rosetta 200 in the chain for some combinations. For example I can monitor through Rosetta when recording analog chain through ADI-2.
If I understood correctly, analog outputs of ADI-2 Pro FS BE XLR and TRS are both balanced and mirrored so one pair can be patched at all times to the patchbay for analog loop usage. Or does TRS excludes XLR pair when plugged in?

Hwidow wrote:

Ah, already 12 days in from the order of ADI-2 Pro FS BE I believe it is too late to change it now. At the local dealer the 2/4 Pro SE wasn't even on the list of RME products. Will have to work within possibilities of FS for some time. I will still have Apogee Rosetta 200 in the chain for some combinations. For example I can monitor through Rosetta when recording analog chain through ADI-2.
If I understood correctly, analog outputs of ADI-2 Pro FS BE XLR and TRS are both balanced and mirrored so one pair can be patched at all times to the patchbay for analog loop usage. Or does TRS excludes XLR pair when plugged in?

It has 2 DA converter, so you can either use phones,XLR or 2x phones.
You can pre-cable and switch by one front key by key remapping.

Hwidow wrote:

...Or does TRS excludes XLR pair when plugged in?

All front and back outputs can work at the same time.

Excellent, cheers!

Finally I decided to use ADI-2 Pro FS R BE in USB mode and hook Apogee Rosetta 200 to it via AES connection. That way I have separate headphones 3-4 outputs and 4 ADDA ins and outs. Seems most versatile that way for now. ADI-2 Pro FS R BE is amazing.