Topic: ADI-2/4 Pro SE - AES mirror S/PDIF

I'm looking to add an ADI-2/4 Pro SE to my setup so that I can both pitch and catch a high quality mastering chain.

I'm also looking to upgrade my monitors to the KSdigital A200mk2 and wish to feed them digitally through a Mutec MC1.1+ and thus avoid any conversion all the way to the speaker drivers.

Now here comes the crux. I also wish to connect the ADI-2/4 Pro SE to a Fireface UFX III so that my entire mixing and mastering rig can run simultaneously.

This interconnect between ADI-2/4 Pro SE and Fireface UFX III will occupy all available AES connections.

With this setup controlled by Totalmix, can I run my analog master chain connected to the ADI-2/4 Pro SE on the AES inputs and outputs while simultaneously feeding the Mutec MC1.1+ my monitor signal on the S/PDIF output of ADI-2/4 Pro SE?

Or does the S/PDIF output always mirror the AES output?

If not possible, can it be done from the Fireface UFX III? I will have a Ferrofish Pulse16 MX taking up the MADI ports to feed my SPL Mixdream XP.

Any help on this is much appreciated! smile

2 (edited by KaiS 2023-09-19 14:13:46)

Re: ADI-2/4 Pro SE - AES mirror S/PDIF

As you can see in the manual, pages 40 and following, only in USB Mode (not usable for your situation) ADI-2/4 Pro SE’s digital outputs are accessible individually.

With your bunch of AD/DA’s and stuff, I think you need an ADAT- or MADI-to-AES converter to extend your AES capabilities and serve them all.

The RME ADI-8 DD (available only used) would be such.

Re: ADI-2/4 Pro SE - AES mirror S/PDIF

Thank you very much for the quick answer!

I guess you confirm what I feared. However, the Fireface UFX III could perhaps be able to do it instead since it it is connected with USB as a multichannel interface.

Let's say I'm running my session at 96 kHz and the ADI-2/4 Pro SE is using up both AES input and output while the Ferrofish Pulse16 MX is using up the MADI outputs. Could I still feed my monitor signal to the Mutec MC1.1+ via optical S/PDIF from the Fireface UFX III?

I assume that AES and S/PDIF are always separate on the Fireface UFX III. I also assume that I haven't used up all of my channels even at 96 kHz.