Topic: Using an RME ADI-2 DAC FS with a pre and power amp

I have some questions about using my RME ADI-2 DAC FS with a pre and power amplifier.

I am considering swapping DACs between two set-ups in my house, moving my RME from my desktop set-up to my main stereo set-up. I recently had a ‘high-volume’ incident in my main stereo set-up, which may or may not be attributable to the existing DAC (I only have anecdotal evidence). Regardless I find I have lost confidence in the existing DAC and would like to use the RME instead.

Other kit in stereo set-up

• Streamer – raspberry pi 4 running Roon RAAT

• Pre-amp – Topping Pre90

• Power-amp – NAD M23

• Speakers – Kef Reference

In terms of the set-up, I think I have a few options.

1) I could use the RME ostensibly as a DAC only and continue to use the topping pre90 as a preamplifier
2) I could use the RME exclusively, as pre-amp and DAC and remove the pre90 from the chain.

In scenario 1, do I have more protection in terms of guarding against a high-volume incident as there is a dedicated preamp in the chain? In scenario 2, is there more risk to the amp/speakers as there is not dedicated pre-amp?

In scenario 1, how do I get the best out of the RME? I assume auto-ref would be off, and then I would need to set the volume, what might the process be to get the correct volume? Once set, is there anyway to stop any further adjustment?

Thanks for reading.

Re: Using an RME ADI-2 DAC FS with a pre and power amp

This posting contains most answers to the two cases in your question:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 21#p161721

Could I add a question? Are there any benefits to add the pre90 to use its analogue volume control?

Snusmum wrote:

Could I add a question? Are there any benefits to add the pre90 to use its analogue volume control?

No. It had been explained many times, including in the manual. The ADI-2 DAC/Pro's volume control implementation is as good as any other. By adding devices in the chain you just introduce more noise and distortion without any real benefit.

5 (edited by ramses 2023-09-16 10:04:58)

unpluggged wrote:
Snusmum wrote:

No. It had been explained many times, including in the manual. The ADI-2 DAC/Pro's volume control implementation is as good as any other. By adding devices in the chain you just introduce more noise and distortion without any real benefit.

I agree, but the quality loss is not that high.

I would rather make it dependent on whether there are big level mismatches in your setup or not.

In other words, whether the default volume setting of the ADI-2 DAC/Pro (which is around -30 and that could become active accidentally when selecting another preset) is still tolerable or already much too loud and could perhaps even damage hearing or equipment.

With a passive volume control, you definitely have an additional security that a certain maximum volume is not exceeded.

Of course, you can and should work on your setup and solve the level mismatches by using attenuators, see this very informative posting from Matthias Carstens: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by KaiS 2023-09-16 10:53:44)

Snusmum wrote:

No, the shorter signal chain is preferable, except you need some special functionality ADI-2 can’t offer.

The key for optimum sound quality is proper gain staging.
For most use cases power amps have too much gain, the NAD M 23 is no exception, even in gain position “low”.
You can’t run the driving devices hot enough to use their full dynamic range.

This is where passive attenuators come into play, like described in my linked posting.

Once coarsly adapted, ADI-2’s “Auto Ref Level” cares for the fine-adjust optimization.

Additionally, this configuration would prevent high level “accidents”.

ramses wrote:

his all sounds quite dramatic, but the quality loss is not that high.

I would rather make it dependent on whether there are high level mismatches in the setup or not.

In other words, whether the default volume setting of the ADI-2 DAC/Pro is still tolerable or already much too loud and could damage hearing or equipment.

With a passive volume control, you definitely have an additional security that a certain maximum volume is not exceeded.

Makes sense, but this particular goal could be achieved by using much simpler and much cheaper solutions. No need to have a sort of passive attenuator with 0.5 dB granularity just to fix a mismatch of signal levels wink

8 (edited by ramses 2023-09-16 10:09:17)

unpluggged wrote:
ramses wrote:

his all sounds quite dramatic, but the quality loss is not that high.

I would rather make it dependent on whether there are high level mismatches in the setup or not.

In other words, whether the default volume setting of the ADI-2 DAC/Pro is still tolerable or already much too loud and could damage hearing or equipment.

Makes sense, but this particular goal could be achieved by using much simpler and much cheaper solutions. No need to have a sort of passive attenuator with 0.5 dB granularity just to fix a mismatch of signal levels wink

BTW I edited my posting a little. But where did I talk about attenuators with 0.5 dB granularity ??? I got e.g. those for testing which are -10 dB, -20 dB and -30 dB switchable: https://www.thomann.de/de/jts_ma_123.htm

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I use a pair of Shure A15AS attenuators set to -25dB between my Pro 2/4 and my active ATC monitors and it works great. I like to listen around 75-80dB SPL in the room and usually have the Pro 2/4 set anywhere from -30 to -6 depending on the source material. No need for a sperate monitor controller, preamp or other analogue volume control.

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

10 (edited by unpluggged 2023-09-16 10:38:37)

ramses wrote:

BTW I edited my posting a little. But where did I talk about attenuators with 0.5 dB granularity ???

The OP was talking about the Topping Pre90. It has resistor matrix volume control with 0.5 dB precision. I was referring to that context.

unpluggged wrote:
ramses wrote:

BTW I edited my posting a little. But where did I talk about attenuators with 0.5 dB granularity ???

The OP was talking about the Topping Pre90. It has resistor matrix volume control with 0.5 dB precision. I was referring to that context.

Ah, ok.

I have gain settings on my xtz a2-400 power amp, so no level issues. Thank you

KaiS wrote:

This posting contains most answers to the two cases in your question:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 21#p161721

Thank you so much for posting this. I have an ADI-2 DAC FS. i also have normal age-related hearing loss and therefore I'm always looking for ways to get more (music) detail, bass, etc., from my system at lower volume levels. I generally listen to music between 65-70 dB. By trying scenario 1, I'm now getting a lot more music detail and punch at lower volumes as opposed to running the ADI-2 at negative values. I use an SPL meter for matching both scenarios to make sure that I'm not simply hearing louder music with the RME volume set to 0.

I was already super-impressed with this DAC, but am now even more so. Amazing.

14 (edited by KaiS 2023-09-19 08:32:44)

jltbalt1 wrote:

... i also have normal age-related hearing loss and therefore I'm always looking for ways to get more (music) detail, bass, etc., from my system at lower volume levels. I generally listen to music between 65-70 dB...

Your info and figures lets me suggest to try ADI-2’s “Loudness“ function in conjunction with scenario 1:

Set:
• I/O / Line Output / Loudness / Enable: On
• I/O / Line Output / Loudness / Bass Gain: 10.0 dB
• I/O / Line Output / Loudness / Treble Gain: 10.0 dB
• I/O / Line Output / Loudness / Low Vol Ref: -20.0 dB

At 0 dB Volume this doesn’t change anything.
If you now dial down Volume a little, like e.g. to -5 dB, and counteract with the amps gain for same listing level, you get a Perceived Loudness Frequency Response Correction.

Explanation: Your typical listing level is ca. 10-15 dB below the level the audio engineer uses in the studio, which is totally fine per se.
“Loudness” function then counteracts the frequency response deviations, described by the Fletcher-Munson equal loudness curves effect, leading to a perceived result closer to what the producers intended.

Just check, the way you described the scenario 1 and 2 sound differences makes me think you might like it.

KaiS wrote:
jltbalt1 wrote:

... i also have normal age-related hearing loss and therefore I'm always looking for ways to get more (music) detail, bass, etc., from my system at lower volume levels. I generally listen to music between 65-70 dB...

Your info and figures lets me suggest to try ADI-2’s “Loudness“ function in conjunction with scenario 1:

Set:

At 0 dB Volume this doesn’t change anything.
If you now dial down Volume a little, like e.g. to -5 dB, and counteract with the amps gain for same listing level, you get a Perceived Loudness Frequency Response Correction.

Explanation: Your typical listing level is ca. 10-15 dB below the level the audio engineer uses in the studio, which is totally fine per se.
“Loudness” function then counteracts the frequency response deviations, described by the Fletcher-Munson equal loudness curves effect, leading to a perceived result closer to what the producers intended.

Just check, the way you described the scenario 1 and 2 sound differences makes me think you might like it.

Thanks. I'll give these settings a try! Right now I've got bass gain set to +2 and treble gain to +4. I'm actually letting my amp do most of the EQ function because it seems to impact the music more than the ADI-2. It's also a 5-band EQ. (McIntosh MA352).

KaiS wrote:
jltbalt1 wrote:

Set:

Tried these settings. Although some tracks definitely sounded more dynamic, most were about the same and a few were a bit worse. I think the default +7 is about right for me. Can you tell me what is happening when I change the Low Vol Ref level from -30 to -20? Thanks!

17 (edited by ramses 2023-09-20 12:35:37)

Unlike Bass and Treble gain, the loudness range is 20dB and fix (in the manual it's explained why).

So, if you set Low Vol Ref

Case a) … to -30, then the loudness starts with -10.5 and has its maximum Bass/Treble Gain at -30

Volume (-)            0----5---10---15---20---25---30
                                            |--------20dB fix-----|
Loudn.-Gain B/T                    min                    max
                                            -0.5                     -30
Low Vol Ref                                                     -30

Case b) … to -20, then the loudness starts with -0.5 and has its maximum Bass/Treble Gain at -20

Volume (-)            0----5---10---15---20---25---30
                             |--------20dB fix-----|
Loudn.-Gain B/T    min                    max
                            -0.5                     -20
Low Vol Ref                                     -20

As you use the volume starting with 0 and wanted to get loudness quicker starting at -0.5 if I remember right,
the Low Vol Ref had to be reconfigured to -20 so that loudness kicks in at -0.5 and has its maximum at -20 (Case b)

See manual ch 8.5, it's all nicely documented there. Tip: use the search function of your PDF viewer.

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dacr_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dacr_e.pdf

8.5 Loudness

Another legacy of HiFi amplifiers: there has not been a single one missing a feature called Loudness. It tries to address the changes in frequency-dependent hearing sensitivity over different volume levels. If one listens to music loud, then drops the level by at least 20 dB, sound loses punch and glitter. HiFi amps tried to fight this effect by adding more bass and treble the lower the volume was set. Unfortunately that never worked as intended, and just became an additional bass/treble booster. Reason: the manufacturer of the HiFi amp could not know what volume any position of the volume knob equals at the customer’s home. Room size, room dampening and efficiency of the used speakers are all unknown.

But the effect of loss in perceived sound exists (read about the Fletcher-Munson curves), and can be easily reproduced with any serious gear by comparing normal volume and DIM state (usually -20 dB). The ADI-2 DAC offers Loudness for the analog stereo outputs, and probably is the first time that Loudness works as intended. The user can decide how much maximum gain in Bass and Treble should occur at lower volume settings. The user also sets the Low Vol Reference, where maximum gain is achieved. After extensive tests a 20 dB range has been defined as range for maximum gain to no gain while increasing volume. That seemed to be the perfect definition of the range that needs to be addressed by Loudness.

Here is an example on how it works: the user’s typical lowest level listening volume is at -35 dB at the unit. This value is now set by the user as Low Vol Ref in the Loudness menu. Then Bass and Treble Gain can be set between 0 and +10 dB. Default is +7 dB for both. Increasing the volume by turning the Volume knob causes the gain in Bass and Treble to be lowered smoothly over a range of 20 dB. So when Volume is set to -15 dB, the music is not only quite loud, but Loudness’ Bass and Treble are then at 0 dB gain. See chapter 31.6 for graphs.

No matter how sensitive the connected phones or speakers are, no matter how much increase in Bass and Treble are desired – with the ADI-2 DAC one can finally adjust it to meet the personal hearing and taste. Loudness finally works as it should have worked from the start - another unique feature in the ADI-2 DAC.

Note: Loudness works best in Auto Ref Level mode due to the seamless dBr scale of the volume control. Without Auto Ref Level active, manually changing the Ref Level will change the volume without changing the VOLume value (dB). As Loudness is referenced to a 'Low Vol Ref' setting it then might no longer work as intended, and needs the Low Vol Ref value to be adjusted.

ramses wrote:

Unlike Bass and Treble gain, the loudness range is 20dB and fix (in the manual it's explained why).

Note: Loudness works best in Auto Ref Level mode due to the seamless dBr scale of the volume control. Without Auto Ref Level active, manually changing the Ref Level will change the volume without changing the VOLume value (dB). As Loudness is referenced to a 'Low Vol Ref' setting it then might no longer work as intended, and needs the Low Vol Ref value to be adjusted.

Wow. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. It will take me a while to digest it all. You seem to be saying that by using a volume level close to -0- with Loudness enabled I should:

1. Leave Auto Ref Level on
2. Set Low Vol Ref to -20 rather than my current -30

Am I getting close?

Thanks,
Jeff

KaiS made you proposals, I only reacted to your questions to explain Loudness.

Its your choice how you configure dynamic loudness.
Wondering why you ask again.

I copy/pasted you from the manual and there is the answer to your last question.

"Here is an example on how it works: the user’s typical lowest level listening volume is at -35 dB
at the unit. This value is now set by the user as Low Vol Ref in the Loudness menu.
"

ramses wrote:

KaiS made you proposals, I only reacted to your questions to explain Loudness.

Its your choice how you configure dynamic loudness.
Wondering why you ask again.

I copy/pasted you from the manual and there is the answer to your last question.

"Here is an example on how it works: the user’s typical lowest level listening volume is at -35 dB
at the unit. This value is now set by the user as Low Vol Ref in the Loudness menu.
"

Got it. Thanks!

21 (edited by KaiS 2023-09-21 09:02:10)

My proposal aims for your special case: needing a touch more extension at the frequency extremes.
This is to counteract subjective losses due to home-compatible listening level being lower than producer‘s.

I kind of re-target the Loudness function, as it has perfectly parameterized preset EQ settings, instead of using it’s original function like described in the manual.

In cookbook manner, try the settings I purposely proposed.
Use ADI-2’s volume just to dose the amount of this spice.

Lower ADI-2 volume setting = more spice.
0 dB volume = original unchanged flavor.
If -5 dB volume gives too much of it, try -3 dB e.g.
Final listening level is still set with your analog amp then.

As you need only minor volume changes, ADI-2’s full dynamic range advantage stays intact, preserving the sound that you said you liked.

KaiS wrote:

My proposal aims for your special case: needing a touch more extension at the frequency extremes.
This is to counteract subjective losses due to home-compatible listening level being lower than producer‘s.

As you need only minor volume changes, ADI-2’s full dynamic range advantage stays intact, preserving the sound that you said you liked.

Thanks. I finally settled on -1 for the ADI-2 volume which provides a lot of dynamic sound at my lower levels. I only need minimal adjustments on the amp's volume to compensate for different tracks. It all seems to be working great.

The two other variables that also play a role are the EQ settings on my amp, and the fact that I'm wearing hearing aids in both ears, each with their own set of volume and tone adjustments. I know that the manual has a brief paragraph that mentions people with hearing loss. I'm that guy! It's one of the things that makes the ADI-2 perfect for me. Thanks again!